Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (Jude), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63190 Topics
441850 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#278771 - 03/09/09 02:04 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: Still]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Rob,

At one time I was very active in AA. I went to meetings and hung out with others, like myself who were trying to overcome their addictions to alcohol and drugs. Always felt out of place but realized that was how I percieved all social gatherings all my life. But rarely do I go anymore because I no longer have the desire to drink and use to solve what I am feeling or my problems today.
I truely believe that God directed me to the fellowship of AA. First to get sober thru the 12 steps of AA and then thru my soberity to find Christ.
AA opened my mind and help me to resolve my anger at God.

God still works miracles in our lives if we are open to the power of faith.

Also I have decide to allow God to work thru whomever he choses not as I think he should.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#278807 - 03/09/09 06:18 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: michael banks]
nathan555 Offline

Loc: Australia
Celebrate Recovery may well be good to break addictions - if that is what one is looking for.
I made an enquiry and notes with suspicion the avoidance of my question "Do you help abuse victims?"

I am grateful that Robbie saved me the grief of yet another programme which does not meet the needs of csa. I wish the people who run these programmes would focus les on building up their numbers and more on caring for we who were abused against our will.
I am NOT responsable for the s**t SOMEONE else forced onto me.
Until they get that in their heads they cannot help me.

When they do we can talk about my responses - after they can bring themselves to acknowledge the csa I endured against my will. Even Adult survivors of Sexual Abuse don't want to hear our stories. Thank God for MS were we CAN tell our story and be believed. and we can talk about how we feel, and process our confusions.

While I am at it I am a Christian who absolutely believes there is healing in faith filled healthy Churches submitted to Jesus Christ but it cuts me up when I meet Ministers in certain conservative denominations and respectable Christians who
cut me off and don't want to know. Their desire to build a wall of silence really bugs me. I need the light of Christ to shine into my dark places. I don't need some ever so respectable pharisee building walls and asking me to hide behind it.

Nathan

#278884 - 03/10/09 09:26 AM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: nathan555]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: nathan555
I am NOT responsible for the s**t SOMEONE else forced onto me.

Until they get that in their heads they cannot help me.

AMEN! I have spoken to $40,000 per month programs that state that they WILL NOT address root cause elements of my PTSD. How stupid!

As for not being responsible for what others forced onto me:
If there is "sin," and "sin against others" is in existence, the sinner must take responsibility. Jesus died for OUR sins. "OUR" = individual and collective.

If there is no individual responsibility assigned, working toward healing is a lot like chasing a greased-pig around the farm-yard.

Realized this; when I disclosed after long fervent, on-my-knees prayer, my addictions vanished. I am first hand witness to the healing power of God in that regard.

I only went to CR because I was seeking fellowship in healing. What I found was a lot of misdirected blame and locus of control. (Misdirected for my case)

Edited by Robbie Brown (03/10/09 09:30 AM)

Still's Globs

New Video

#278930 - 03/10/09 05:05 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: Still]
KeithC Offline

Loc: Southeastern USA
Hi Robbie,

I went once to CR and did not return. Our all male breakout session was 90 minutes long. No one could get out more than one to three sentences before the facilitator would interject his opinion and start advice giving. He dominated the discussion and easily used up 90% of the allotted time, telling everyone how to "solve" their situation. I left feeling manipulated and controlled and shut down. Kinda like I was muzzled and without a voice.

I have no idea what the CR format is actually supposed to look like so this could have been a rogue group. In my SLA and SLAA groups I feel safe and I feel empowered and I feel loved, which is what I need to come out and face this stuff.

Keith

If we don't change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed. Ancient Chinese Proverb

#279000 - 03/10/09 11:36 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: KeithC]
wojax Offline

Loc: Florida
Hey Guys

Several of the Churches have started this program at there Churches. Using member that have lived it. I realy dont know what is or how it works. I do know that someone suggesting they can (Solve) your problems is just wrong.

I know that God is the only one that can solve a problem. He alows us to have free will He alows us to make mistakes. He will gentaly guide you back on the right track.

Im not saying that there are not some good places that will offer help for those in need. But , you have to do it for yourself.

That is my two cents worth.
God Bless ..Gary

Jer 7:23 ps 91:16

#279252 - 03/12/09 09:34 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: Still]
1love4christ Offline

Loc: ca, usa
brothers...

hey you guys, i've been going to celebrate recovery for a year and a half. after all this time, there has been ups and downs but mostly with people. its not the program, its the people who sometimes misrepresent what the program is trying to help us with. celebrate recovery is adamant about confidentiality, and most of all, not trying to fix anyone. so if anyone is trying to do that, then they are mistaken themselves about celebrate recovery.

from my experience at celebrate recovery, i've learned that others have responded well to my share no matter how much they knew about sexual abuse. i've come to other victims of sexual abuse and have felt distant yet go to someone who doesn't know about sexual abuse and felt compassion. therefore, its not the program, or how much they are equipped with sexual abuse knowledge but the person who truly carries out what jesus christ has preached through god all along and thats love!

i'm proud to go to celebrate recovery because wounded and lost people go there admitting to their sickness. i'm humbled as others are after we share. i continue to go to celebrate recovery despite not having many to relate to my experience because I at least am bold to speak up and bring sexual abuse to the light in this world.

i simply will not live another day and refuse to be quiet based on my situation. here me roar!

#279262 - 03/12/09 10:01 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: 1love4christ]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada

Edited by joelRT (03/15/09 12:58 AM)
Edit Reason: leaving

#279263 - 03/12/09 10:04 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: joelRT]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Joel,

Just type in celebrate recover.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#279265 - 03/12/09 10:19 PM Re: Celebrate Recovery ???? [Re: michael banks]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada

Edited by joelRT (03/15/09 12:57 AM)
Edit Reason: leaving

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.