Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (don64, andrewmartin, 3 invisible), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441306 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#278181 - 03/04/09 09:29 AM Pray-Away
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
I actually had someone at church who knows my story a bit, tell me I need to pray-away the depression. Oh....OK.

Forgive me Lord for thinking (but not SAYING) F**k-off to a brother.

Still's Globs

New Video

#278184 - 03/04/09 09:59 AM Re: Pray-Away [Re: Still]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I'm not somebody that anybody would traditionally think of as religious- because i'm not, for me organised religion and "God" couldn't be further apart. For me my idea of god is very personal and not collective, so i hope you feel ok with me doing this, but i will pray for your healing, very much in my own way, but i think that is what it is all about, we all have our own way. Your friend has his way, and you can find yours.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#278185 - 03/04/09 10:16 AM Re: Pray-Away [Re: Still]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
if it were only that simple. as if every prayer request were expected to be granted just by waving a magic wand of some sort.

ah, but, jesus paid it all! the resurrection power is all you need. i just happen to have a bottle of it for sale!

we know that prayer does do a lot. though, i should be asking my own forgiveness for the tendency to point and laugh at people who suggest such naive solutions as the way to the cure.

prayer in my experience is mostly answered in process. to be directed toward that process is the first stage of realizing that the prayer is being answered.

depressed? enter into a therapeutic relationship: god intervening, prayer being answered.

to be given the insight to the solutions, ie, medical/brain chemistry issues, examination of faulty belief systems: god intervening, prayer being answered.

finding resolution to questions through the assistance of supportive friends and loved ones: god intervening, prayer being answered.

restoration of equilibrium to the imbalance of personal peace: god intervening, prayer being answered.

i really don't point and laugh at people who expect abracadaba type results to prayer. rather i see those as only one possible manner of meeting the hunger and supplying the need.

for me prayer is the process confirming that god is really who he purports to be, 'emmanuel god with us'. this is proven more often in god's participation in our lives in a relationship 'with', rather than relationship 'to' god as we understand god.

asking god to move a mountain of depression by miracle deprives a person of the opportunity to accept the healing effect as part of a process and in relationship with god.

i fired my vending machine god a long time ago. and brother is god glad i did.

wink just some thoughts,

ron

#278213 - 03/04/09 04:24 PM Re: Pray-Away [Re: Sans Logos]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, WPB
To me the physical realm and the spiritual realm are intertwined. They can not be separated. While there is a spiritual component to most things it does not mean we are to ignore the physical. There are things we need to do for ourselves.

Praying for a bone to heal is great but you still need to set it. There are logical things we can and are expected to do. The things we have no control over at all are the things that we can give over completely to God. It is here where we may see outright miracles. Which, by the way, requires faith.

This is why we see a higher frequency of miracles in third world countries; they have few resources and have only God to fall back on.

The more you know and the more resources you have, the less reliance we have on God and the less faith we develop and have. Unfortunately, when we are scraping the bottom and we find our selves with no place to go, that is when we go to God, and usually we are at a crisis level.

Something else we need to consider, God uses people. He uses people to work in His stead, though we may not know it. He uses people to speak to us, though we may not believe it. He uses>

Edited by Juni (03/04/09 04:26 PM)

#278247 - 03/04/09 10:26 PM Re: Pray-Away [Re: Still]
riveerboy Offline

Loc: Indiana
I got an interesting picture in my head. Prayer as a broom. As if the lifted corner of a carpet can remove our problems. Out of site out of mind.

Some people can use their brooms well. I know a few ladies that ride one on occasions. LOL

I say pray away........it's a good thing, really. Just don't try to pick up the corner of the church.

Good Luck, Good Healing

#278255 - 03/04/09 11:10 PM Re: Pray-Away [Re: riveerboy]
nomansanisland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NM
Robbie Brown...

Gymnastcs looks really easy ...till your down there on the floor doing it...so does ice skating...and dancing .

Seems a little heartless that someone who hasnt gone through what you are going through would be able to identify with your depression, or pain.I am sure they find prayer changes all the worrisome things they expierence... Do you think for a second that they would be able to handle the things that caused your sadness? Probably not...But sometimes you gotta talk to the big boss...and not the air...hummmmm?

Your sense of humor is still intact and that is a God given response to dealing with the stupid things we people visit on each other...

Prayer centers you and focus's your point of view, towards growth. It is the still small voice finding a place in your heart and giving the vioce a leg to stand on and be counted... ever continuing to morph its self into a new quest .

You know what you need to do, its hard work and alot to face...Take your time brother and include God in it.... Just a thought...nomansanisland

#278286 - 03/05/09 04:38 AM Re: Pray-Away [Re: nomansanisland]
1love4christ Offline

Loc: ca, usa
good to know you're doing well juni...god bless brotha...

#278288 - 03/05/09 07:22 AM Re: Pray-Away [Re: 1love4christ]
nathan555 Offline

Loc: Australia
Robbie Brown
I know some brothers can be simplistic and don't understand but , and I say this in the context of my documented struggles in my posts here at ms,
that whilst we work through issues,
and I certainly have bouts of depression
and time of feeling blown away by csa

I also have times in praise and worship and /or prayer
when it lifts.

Guess there is the world of difference between brothers who stand with us in prayer, prevailing in prayer WITH us

and those who in a dismissive and uncaring manner tell US to pray away something as intense and complex as depression.

I brother prayed for me tonight at church - but I asked him and he cares and he works for a ministry where the boss was herself sexually abused.

When I get superficial uncaring platitudes I have been known to use your words including the **
seriously, many times (not at my current church)

I once told a Minister in my previous denomination who showed no concern for a four year old boy who was indecently assulted after church

(yelling ) "You hippocrite" etc
I think I used a few interesting words including ** and ***
and then walked into the next carriage of the train

and called that f*** church St Jezabells

so yeah
prayer works and can bring deliverance

but a sham is ** **** deplorable

Nathan

#278335 - 03/05/09 03:04 PM Re: Pray-Away [Re: nathan555]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, WPB
Rob,

Iím sorry that happened.

There are so many people out there that do not understand.

If been the recipient of similar statements. They leave us feeling insignificant and disquieted.

When ever I receive this type of response I respond by praying quietly in my mind, Lord forgive their ignorance for they know not what they say.

This is where turn the other cheek comes in but if I have the opportunity to educate them, I do.

When I do otherwise, my anger flares, and that is OK, its what can happen as a result of the anger that I fear. So, I try my best to understand where responses like that come from; they come from ignorance, then I pray and educate where I can.

Juni

#278380 - 03/05/09 08:47 PM Re: Pray-Away [Re: Juni]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
I just look at it as I was trained to from childhood-on: People are evil, self-centered, opportunistic and untrustworthy. Only "people" can betray you. There is only ONE whom will never betray anyone, and they killed him about 1978 years ago.

Still's Globs

New Video

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.