Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445342 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#277596 - 02/28/09 02:24 PM Sent An E-mail
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Guys,

Last week I did something that I have never done before in my life. As some of you may know I am a member of the Teamster Union. And their is a bill in congress which would make it easier for workers to organize themselves and join a union.
So I decide to send an email to my Senators and local congressman to state my position of support for this bill. And to ask them to also vote for it when it comes up before them in Washington.
It was not more than a couple of days and I have heard from all three of them. Diane Fenstein and Barbara Boxer my senators both support this bill and will vote for it when comes up for a vote.
My congressman Buck Mckeon on the other hand does not support this bill and he gave me his reason why.
So I send a reply back to him stating my disapointment on the position that he has chosen to take. That I hope he would reconsider his postion and that I will be watching to see how he votes when this bill comes up. And if he chooses to vote against it that he can count on not recieving my vote when he next runs for reelection.
That in fact I will be actively working to replace him in the next election with someone more in tune with the needs of of the average working person.

Damn it feels good to express my opinion to those that are suppose to look after the wellbeing of people in my state, district and country. Instead of just complaining to others and crying into my beer.
Maybe if we all take a more active part in what our represenatives and Senators are doing in Washington and our state capitals we can be a positive force for change in those places and in our lives.

Does not recovery effect a positive change in all areas of our lives.

Alone we have very little power to effect change in our country or the world but if we come together what changes could we help make.

It is time that at least for me to stand up and make those in power start to hear from me.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#277599 - 02/28/09 02:34 PM Re: Sent An E-mail [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
That is great news and huge progress in your life. If we don't communicate our needs nobody will ever know. This is a big change from sitting in isolation, holding it in. My recovery has made me much more confident and has given me my self-esteem back. Reaching-out and trying to help ourselves and others is a later step in ongoing recovery. Glad to hear of your progress.

Alone we can't, together we can,

Mark

#277890 - 03/02/09 12:51 AM Re: Sent An E-mail [Re: Trucker51]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Maybe you could post on the way to write to a representative. That would surely help a lot of guys to know how to do it.

Allen

pufferfish

#278726 - 03/09/09 02:07 AM Re: Sent An E-mail [Re: pufferfish]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Allen,

All you have to do is type your in senators or congressman name on hte web. Click on his or hers website and they have a place for to sent them an email. Also you can sigh up to get email from them on things happening in Washington.
To change things we got to speak up and be hear. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
And if they don't hear from you. You really don't exist in their world.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.