Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63223 Topics
442100 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277368 - 02/27/09 12:11 AM My newspaper is closing
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
The Rocky Mountain News is printing its final edition Friday. This is just too weird to see.

They could not find a buyer, so they are closing their doors. There might be an online edition, but that's it. It's a rather sobering event to see a newspaper you've seen all your life go away.

We'll still have the Denver Pravda, er, I mean Post.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#277406 - 02/27/09 10:34 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: FormerTexan]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
The medium is obsolete.

This is like when ice houses, or livery stables, or slide rule manufacturers went under.

The product here, is information. Newspapers were a distribution system for information. Now they are hopelessly outclassed by better distribution systems.

Edited by MrEdd (02/27/09 10:35 AM)

#277413 - 02/27/09 11:04 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: MrEdd]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
I agree, it's just sad to see something I grew up with go by the wayside.

Sigh of the times. (no typo)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#277414 - 02/27/09 11:05 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: MrEdd]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
Newspapers, like everyone else, are hurting. The days of two major papers in major cities are coming to a close.

It is a sobering event. But I expect we'll see more of it nationwide until newspapers get the clue and start giving readers the information they want in the way they want. Either re-invent or take a hike. smile

And I can say that because I work in the newspaper industry. laugh

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#277419 - 02/27/09 11:32 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: lars3229]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I remember when the Cleveland Press closed in the late 1970s. In fact, I have now worked for two papers that have closed including the Rocky. I've also worked in an ice house that is no longer around, several large factories that are long gone, and more than a dozen trucklines that are only a memory also, and I own a really nice 100 year-old slide rule too. But you are right about the daily local print medium becoming obsolescent, not to mention wasteful of resources. Imagine how much fuel, paper, power, coal, other machinery and its manufacture, printing plants and their construction, power plants and transport medium, has gone into providing many, many thousands of our jobs that can easily be fed to us over the internet from anywhere by a much smaller number of people. And for certain the newspaper business isn't the only business that this is true for either.

Glad that I am getting up in age because keeping a good-paying career job in this economy is getting to be tougher every day.

Ten more years until I can get what's left of Social Security!!!

Mark

#277420 - 02/27/09 11:36 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: lars3229]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hi Andy.

I can understand the sentimental value you might hold for this entity, but I don't share it.

To me, I considered them just another mouth-piece for the government. I never once read an editorial or a story in this paper which didn't glorify state action or ever questioned individual rights being trampled on or focused on ANYTHING that made this an actual NEWS organization. They were just another Ministry of Truth to me. Black is white was their mantra. They were no better than the New York Times.

Just one example: The people of Denver (who's interests the paper claims hold in highest regard) voted to legalize possession of marijuana under 1oz for anyone 21 and over. The result? Oh, the district attorney, in his infinite wisdom, said that he'll simply prosecute Denver's citizens anyway with State laws, not that he HAS to, but simply because he CAN. Now, WHY didn't the RMN or Denver Post call him on this? Why didn't they request an interview and call him on this blatantly defiled act against the popular will of the people? I'll tell you why, because they're simply mouth-pieces. So fuck them, and good riddance.

#277423 - 02/27/09 11:45 AM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: Hauser]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

One thing for sure, the New York Times is much more impartial than the Washington Times or the Los Angeles Times, certainly more liberal.

Is the Cleveland Call & Post still around? That was a good paper in its day.

If you were an employer or an insurance company, would you want your employees or other drivers on the highway to be stoned all of the time?

In my day I have found that reading foreign major newspapers can be a fascinating hobby, as often times their stories are different than ours.

I have also seen US Customs take foreign newspapers away from arriving airline passengers too.

It is still hard for me to believe that they wanted to suppress what was printed in the Toronto Star one morning in Cleveland 20 years ago.

I guess that is why they are called government and we are known as the people.

Mark

#277437 - 02/27/09 01:52 PM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: Trucker51]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
What was printed in the Star that prompted such action Mark?

Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

Jim

#277444 - 02/27/09 02:21 PM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I flew from Toronto to Cleveland on an Air Ontario flight the day after the Philadelphia police department had air-dropped a bomb on the MOVE group that was holed-up in a fortified inner-city tenement building shooting it out with police there. I can't remember the exact date but it was sometime in the 1980s. After the bomb dropped, there was a huge fire that the police and fire department just let burn. In our news, both on TV and in print media, they showed a restricted view of the damage and claimed that one city block and 60 buildings had burned in the fire. (Each building had contained 8 or 10 apartments). In the Toronto Star the front page showed a much wider field of view of the damage than our media did, and their story said that 3 city blocks and 160 buildings had burned in the fire. The area was immediately bulldozed after the incident and fairly quickly forgotten about, though some police overkill on use of force questions lingered for sometime afterwards. In the Star the photo looked like some of the photos of Hamburg, Germany from WWII, with block after block of burned-out 5 story buildings. This Air Ontario flight was on a twin-engine prop Convair 580 and there were maybe 30 people on the flight. US Customs at the Cleveland Airport confiscated every copy of the Star at the check-in, and I have read and heard of this happening at other US Airports involving European newspapers too.

When my wife and I were on a cruise to Mexico not yet a year ago there was a story on a Mexican business cable channel in Puerta Vallarta about a huge drop in production over time at the Gulf of Mexico oil fields operated by the Mexican State oil company Pemex. The announced drop was at least 2/3rds from historical highs with a number of offshore wells going dry. I have never seen this story mentioned in our media here. My guess is that its knowledge would drive up oil prices. Didn't oil prices go shooting up last Spring and Summer? I wonder why???

All the news that's fit to print, or allowed to be printed, I guess.

Mark

#277452 - 02/27/09 03:31 PM Re: My newspaper is closing [Re: Trucker51]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Andy,

I love reading the paper. It was an great escape as a kid.
But I sure don't miss the pile of garabe it becomes when to have a subscibtion. I still like to read one when I on the john.
But now days I get my news off the web.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.