Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63992 Topics
446665 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#276805 - 02/23/09 06:16 PM Pa. boy, 11, accused of killing dad's girlfriend
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Not abuse related but something must be wrong for this kid to do such a thing. Why kids are allowed unsupervised access to a gun is beyond me. Actually why kids that age are even allowed to use guns is beyond me as well.

PA Boy, 11, accused of killing dad's girlfriend

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#276806 - 02/23/09 06:47 PM Re: Pa. boy, 11, accused of killing dad's girlfriend [Re: onlyakid]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, the article does mention the gun was specifically designed for kids.

Some people feel that teaching kids to safely use firearms is a great way to bond and instill responsibility. The problem is, when it comes to gauging how "responsible" a kid is, his own parents are not usually the best judges, because they are by no means impartial. Parents may nitpick (sometimes exceedingly) over some of a kid's faults but by and large parents in general are famously oblivious to serious problems. They often will have absolutely no idea that the kid is really not so mature or responsible as they thought, until something like this happens.

That said, I'm not sure I can fairly blame a parent's selective naivety for letting an 11-year-old keep a loaded shotgun in his room. That's just incomprehensibly ignorant.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#276808 - 02/23/09 07:31 PM Re: Pa. boy, 11, accused of killing dad's girlfriend [Re: melliferal]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
It doesn't matter if it was specifically designed for kids unless it magically instills maturity and good decision making skills. If the parents want bond with their kids and instill responibilty, they should go to a baseball or football game for the bonding and have the kid take care of a pet for the responsibility part. If the want to hunt with their kids they should keep the gun safely locked in a safe or cabinet that the kids would never be able to get into. Kids are not mature, they can't make proper decisions. Kids are growing up to fast were giving them adult mature tasks that they can't handle. The media is throwing sex down their throats and kids are getting involved earlier and earlier.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#276952 - 02/24/09 02:23 PM Re: Pa. boy, 11, accused of killing dad's girlfriend [Re: onlyakid]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
I'm more worried about the worldwide media reporting convicting this kid before any trial, but still agree with the above.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.