Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
3 registered (bluesky, motmcd, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63638 Topics
444459 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276731 - 02/23/09 08:11 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: Kathryn]
Kathryn Offline

Just because this is really interesting:

They think how this works is pretty simple: It used to be thought that when a memory is recalled, it's recalled -- period.

Now they believe that every time a memory is recalled, it has to be RECORDED anew, though there are associational paths that are heavily preferred when the re-recording happens.

The drugs just make it more possible to re-record the memory in the here and now. It helps to create new associational paths, rather than ONLY the old ones, which make the memory FEEL as though the memory isn't JUST a memory, but an event that is happening in the here and now.

The drugs help in recalling past memories in the here and now -- with all the here and now associations.

Rather than with all the old associations of the past.

Take care,
Katie

#276732 - 02/23/09 08:25 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: Kathryn]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada

Edited by joelRT (03/15/09 02:19 AM)
Edit Reason: leaving

#276733 - 02/23/09 08:26 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: Kathryn]
Kathryn Offline

It doesn't erase the old associational pathways.

It allows new associational pathways to be formed in ADDITION to the old ones.

Which is why we have memories in the first place, it's the role of memories to be the ground of new learning, to move us into the future.

It's not memory's role to merely be a memory of the past.

Oxcytocin, a hormone released at various times in various parts of the body, including the brain, does a similar thing. Especially when we fall in love, oxcytocin is released in large amounts. It makes the brain's emotionally charged associational pathways more fluid, and thus allows us to fall in love with a new partner instead of being in love only with a partner that's been lost.

It helps us fall in love with the here and now, and plan for our futures.

Rather than being stuck in the past and only "in love" with a partner that's no longer around.

It's not that we loose memories of old partners. We can recall them just fine. And we can still call upon the old associational pathways, including how we emotionally felt about them, what it was like to love them, etc...

Only now we can ALSO love the new partner.

This is what the high blood pressure med seems to be doing. And there's indications that this is a safer route to go than using other chemicals/hormones -- like oxcytocin.

Anyway, it's more about getting the brain to cut new associational pathways than it is about erasing older ones.

Katie

#276734 - 02/23/09 08:38 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: Kathryn]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Anyway, it's more about getting the brain to cut new associational pathways than it is about erasing older ones.

In an artificial manner and therein lies the danger.

Two words that I never want to here used in association with one another are brain & artificial.

#276749 - 02/23/09 09:23 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: joelRT]
Kathryn Offline

Hey Joel,

But that's a personal decision. But we can only make that personal decision based on getting as much correct information that's available.

Even people who don't mind using drugs, like anti-depressents, might get scared away from these meds because of media mis-interpretation of what they seem to be doing.

It's interesting that the protocal for this drug is moving in the direction of using them only like once a week, and only while in a therapy type setting where the person intentionally recalls the traumatic memories.

Further, it seems that huge progress is made after only several sessions. So this drug would be used only a handful of times.

Considering this drug has been in wide use for 40 years, it seems pretty safe, and might be worth whatever small risk there might be for a person who, say, can't leave the house because of overwhelming flashbacks, etc....

It actually seems that SOME people see huge improvement only after two sessions. The extent and rapidity of improvement is NOT related to severity of symptoms. Why some people respond so rapidly and others less rapidly is a mystery.

But I suspect we take into our brains more chemically noxious stuff just by breathing than we would be doing with taking two sessions of this med.

But then I'm not opposed to short term use of, say, anti-depressents. Especially if a person is in a lot of pain and especially if they are suicidal.

Take care,
Katie

#276757 - 02/23/09 09:37 AM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: Kathryn]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by joelRT (03/15/09 02:05 AM)
Edit Reason: leaving

#276801 - 02/23/09 05:17 PM Re: Medication may one day erase bad memories [Re: joelRT]
Kathryn Offline

Actually, if you have time, I'd like to know what your docs have said, regarding the new application.

Is it even available for use yet? This isn't something I've been able to find one way or the other -- only talk about the clinical trials.

I'm not sure why, to the extent it's pretty safe for high blood pressure, it would cause bad effects for other applications -- but I don't know enough about it to know one way or the other....

And no, I'd be very cautious to take drugs that my doc said hasn't yet been approved for this application.

Katie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.