Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (aniceguy, traveler, 4 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#265740 - 12/07/08 02:55 AM ... [Re: delta.tetra]
St3v3n Offline

Edited by St3v3n (02/11/10 07:09 AM)

#265922 - 12/08/08 05:30 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: Brian]
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Brian
Quote:
"Guys who have been abused, are expected later offender himself."
Many perpetrators were themselves abused as a child. This does not mean that all offenders are abused children. This depends on many factors, such as how you deal with it later.

You may want to consider rewriting this one. Maybe I'm missing something in the translation?

“Jongens die zijn misbruikt, worden later zelf dader.”
Veel daders zijn als kind zelf misbruikt. Dit wil niet zeggen dat alle misbruikte kinderen dader worden. Dit hangt af van veel factoren, zoals de manier waarop je er later mee omgaat.

This is clearer in my translation:
-----------
"Boys who are abused, become later themselves perpetrator."
Many perpetrators were themselves abused as children. This does not mean that all abused children become perpetrators. That depends on many factors, such as the way you deal with it later.
-----------

It's not my text, I can't personally re-write any part of it, it comes from original authority who writes many texts for official health-care hand-outs, (which is why it takes so long, but is well-funded), but I do have a chance to offer suggestions for improvement within 1 week. Thanks for your suggestion Brian

#265923 - 12/08/08 05:40 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: St3v3n]
delta.tetra Offline

Stephan

thanks for your suggestions:

* folder should also be made available online

* an organisation probably willing to support this folder is C.O.C Nederland

* the list of psychological effects is incomplete: see more here http://www.jimhopper.com/

* many websites of mental health care institutions in the Netherlands carry very little specific information on (child) sexual abuse.

* substance abuse problems are often treated as a seperate issue and many survivors have been denied help when being honest about their substance use
---
I pm'd you the original, if you have any further tips please let me have them I'll send them all in.

Steve

#265924 - 12/08/08 05:42 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: Partner]
delta.tetra Offline

Originally Posted By: Partner
Locations to have such info:

I have had many male survivors disclose to me for some reason, perhaps they saw it in my eyes. They almost all hung out at Denny's and/or practiced martial arts. I don't mean to stereotype or anything I just mean that there are a decent number of male survivors in those locations. Probably the martial arts studios would be better suited to having the info available though.

Thank you Partner,

I have no idea what "Denny's" is, but I will certainly pass on your suggestion:

* martial arts studios would be better suited to having the info available

Thanks

Steve

#265925 - 12/08/08 05:59 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: king tut]
delta.tetra Offline

Originally Posted By: king tut
i havent read it all, i just skimmed over the text, i wonder whos judgement is behind this part, and if it can really be justified, do your kids really have to know? i think it is a judgement call and should not be given as advice in such a strict context even if it is generally good advice, or perhaps the translation has skewed the words slightly to give emphasis in the wrong places.

"Children
Tell your children that you are abused is tricky.Yet it is, especially if they are older, important that they know what has happened to you. Often they can explain better than your behavior and understand why you do as you do. You do not act in detail: that you are abused and who possibly has done is enough. Let it be open to questions from your children about this."

My own translation would be this:
---
"Children.
Telling your own children that you were abused is difficult. It is important though, especially if they are older, that they know what happened to you. Often they can understand your behavior better and understand why you do things the way you do. You don't have to go into details: that you were abused, and possibly who did it, is enough. Be open to questions from your children about this."
---
Personally I don't have children so I don't feel able to make a good comment on this; but I do note that the suggestion to talk to your children comes after the suggestion that the abused man should talk to a therapist and talk his partner.

thanks

Steve

#265944 - 12/08/08 09:41 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: delta.tetra]
Partner Offline

Loc: United States
Denny's is an all night diner in the US. They serve coffee with free refills and don't mind people sitting and writing or talking for hours.

I tried to add/edit my previous response but lost internet connection. I wanted to say that at least in the US, a great many also play fantasy/escape games at shops that have such gaming available. Again, not to stereotype, but it makes sense and is my observation.

Also, I think in such public areas, many would be more likely to grab a phone number or website or write a meeting time (if there is a group) than spend a large amount of time looking at info in public.

#265947 - 12/08/08 11:44 AM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: Partner]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK

Deleted

#276245 - 02/20/09 06:52 PM Re: Information folder, Ideas needed please! [Re: steveb121]
delta.tetra Offline

original post updated with link to folder online.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.