Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (Going forward, Scott1962, coffeelady, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63552 Topics
444014 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#275546 - 02/16/09 05:59 PM Drug for erasing painful/scary memories
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
There is a piece on NPR today:
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=2
It talks about research using a beta-blocker drug (propenanol?) that appears to erase or ease scary or painful memories with a learned fear response.

The notice says the audio segment will be posted after 7 pm today.

Here is the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100754665

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (02/16/09 06:04 PM)

#275650 - 02/17/09 12:59 PM Re: Drug for erasing painful/scary memories [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Having listened to the audio segment, it sounds like the effect of the drug is akin to when people dissociate. When I think about something frightening, my emotions deaden and I am able to deal with it. It sounds as if the drug does the same thing, with the same potential side-effect. I have trouble feeling much of anything most of the time, particularly strong emotions. The drug could potentially weaken the portion of the brain that induces strong emotional responses.

I understand the reason behind wanting to use such a drug, but what if the effects are not reversible?

Every day I die again, and again Iím reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you canít defeat/Neither down nor out/Thereís nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.