Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (watzupwitu, Lumpy, 3 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444201 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275487 - 02/16/09 11:40 AM Cutting
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, WPB
I started cutting again today. This is something I had not done in a while. I thought it was all behind me.
It did not hurt as much as I expected it to. None-the-less, I felt better. I was too deep and it helped me come out of my phase.

Does anyone have any insight?

#275491 - 02/16/09 12:05 PM Re: Cutting [Re: Juni]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Juni,

I don't know much about this stuff, but it sounds like your head was in a funk or phase and you resorted to the mechanism you knew to pull yourself out of it. I don't know what to tell you about alternative means of pulling yourself out of these funks, but others might be able to add to this. For myself getting outside seems to helps, maybe reading a book or watching a movie. Really anything to get my mind off fixating on myself. I can't see the cutting thing doing you any good in the long run so it would be good to find alternative coping mechanisms that are more healthy. Hope you are doing alright.

Eric

#275507 - 02/16/09 01:26 PM Re: Cutting [Re: ericc]
Survivinguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Hey Juni - I was a cutter for a very, very long time. My therapist told me about a great alternative.

Believe it or not. Ice cubes!

When you are in that spot where you feel that urge/need/thirst, whatever you call it, go to icebox and get a full ice cube, go to the sink or wherever you don't mind a puddle of water. Then hold the ice cube in whichever hand you prefer - for as long as you can. I've been through a cube before but usually a minute or so does the trick. There's no blood, of course, and no scars - but the pain which helps break that mindset or control - that's real.

There was a post a couple weeks ago I will see if I can find it - a guy made a list of things to do before using a negative coping technique - that could help too.

Take care of yourself and try the ice cube - really it works too.

============================================
I have to survive and I hope to thrive.

Alumni Dahlonega WoR May 2010
Alumni Sequoia WoR March 2012

#275511 - 02/16/09 01:30 PM Re: Cutting [Re: ericc]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Robbie Brown was discussing the need for a self-injury forum here last week on the Discussion Board forum, and I found these links during a Google search that I did then:

http://www.selfinjury.org/indexnet.html#selfharm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/self_injury.htm

http://www.focusas.com/SelfInjury.html

http://www.selfinjury.com/

Robbie also found a women's self-injury forum that he recommended called: www.PandorasAquarium.org

Here at MS we do have both an At-Risk "acting-out" forum, and an At-Risk "acting in" forum for members too. You would have to send Ken Singer, LCSW a PM to discuss access first. If you are having issues with self-harm our acting-in forum could be of benefit to you.

Hope that this helps,

Mark

#275512 - 02/16/09 01:32 PM Re: Cutting [Re: Survivinguy]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Survivinguy,

I will try it.
If you can find that post I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Juni

#275515 - 02/16/09 01:40 PM Re: Cutting [Re: Juni]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Mark.

On the mark!

I will consider the AR thread.

Juni

Edited by Juni (02/16/09 01:42 PM)

#275528 - 02/16/09 03:34 PM Re: Cutting [Re: Juni]
jesusstrength Offline

Loc: USA
Juni, I feel your pain, and hope you know that you're not alone. You're worth more than your past, and are loved by all of us and God. We want you to succeed in your life and want you to become a better man because of it, and not fall victim to the pain they caused you.

Have you ever seen the movie "the secret"? It's helped me a lot to invision a future for myself instead of living in my past. I try to watch it whenever I feel down, or depressed. Music is also a great help for me, and it changes my mood. I would sometimes listen to music before I went to school, because I just didn't want to go. After a few songs I felt much better and got dressed and finished high school. You should use something that brings you much joy when you're in pain. Use your enjoyment to give you strength instead of allowing your past to continue punishing you.

#275666 - 02/17/09 02:12 PM Re: Cutting [Re: jesusstrength]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

jesusstrength,

Thank you for those kind words.
I did not feel any real pain.
It's strange, I wish I did.

The secret, I saw this once.

Someone saw the bandages yesterday and asked about them. I didn't want to lie but I was evasive. They figured it out anyway and freaked. I didn't think it was such a big deal.

I have to be careful or someone might decide Iím sick and put me away.

I do feel better now.

Juni

#275677 - 02/17/09 03:44 PM Re: Cutting [Re: Juni]
jesusstrength Offline

Loc: USA
thank you for all the help and guidance.

#275843 - 02/18/09 02:52 PM Re: Cutting [Re: jesusstrength]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm a jerk.

I let it happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.