Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
4 registered (GT13568, JW1230, Obi, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64016 Topics
446757 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#273357 - 01/31/09 10:21 AM Suggestion for a New Forum
NatureDrum Offline
New Here

How about a forum about therapy? It would give a chance for people in therapy to share about the therapy process and for people who haven't started to become familiar with what to expect.

Sometimes things come up in therapy that can be confusing but are experiences that others have gone through. Sharing the therapy process can make it a little smoother.

How's it sound?

My Story

#273364 - 01/31/09 11:15 AM Re: Suggestion for a New Forum [Re: NatureDrum]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Whilst i think it is an interesting idea, i do think that therapy is a very personal process. I think there would be the risk of over-stretching oneself, and so if a forum for this is approved i would add the word of caution not to accidentally cross your own personal boundaries and feeling of safety by writing about things from therapy that you may not be prepared to share with a larger group, therapy can be a deep emotional experience i am sure.

Also, i would hope that if you have a well trained therapist that a certain relationship would develop and that you could feel like you can trust your therapist. With MS as almost a third person in that "relationship", to second guess things perhaps, it could impede rather than improve your progress and relationship with your therapist. I do not have a therapist, so i dont know what it is like, after going to therapy does it feel better to share and process the things that were said with other people who understand? i am sure it does. But if something comes up which confuses you and you feel like you cant ask your therapist about it then maybe you should ask yourself why?

We do have the health and well-being forum, and it may be a good idea to create an on-going thread about therapy in that section perhaps.

I think it is a good idea to have information on what to expect from therapy, but i am sure the process will be different for different people and different therapists, but feeling safe with what is going on and what to expect is a very important thing and could be very helpful to alot of people.

So i am undecided, on one hand it seems like a good idea...i will think some more

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#273490 - 02/01/09 01:16 AM Re: Suggestion for a New Forum [Re: king tut]
NatureDrum Offline
New Here

king tut,

Thanks for the feedback. Your concerns are valid ones. I have been on a different site that has had a therapy forum for years and it has proven quite beneficial.

Quote:
Also, i would hope that if you have a well trained therapist that a certain relationship would develop and that you could feel like you can trust your therapist.

This is true, but like any relationship there can be aspects that can be confusing. For example, some people like a T who will give a hug if requested. A person who has not encountered that may want to know if that is appropriate to ask for. It is okay to ask but a particular T may not be comfortable with it. These are experiences that are part of the process but are removed enough that I don't think boundary crossing is an issue.

Another thing is that not all T's are created equal. As mentioned above some are okay with a hug, some are not. There are many different approaches to therapy as well. Some focus on talking while others introduce a physical component. When I chose my current T I was unsure of whether this was the one for me. I said "Well, I will try it and if things don't work out I will find another." Fortunately she is great and I have been with her for 10 years.

Quote:
We do have the health and well-being forum, and it may be a good idea to create an on-going thread about therapy in that section perhaps.

Having been to a therapist for this long and being familiar with the process I think the complexities are too numerous to be adequately covered in a single thread.

NatureDrum

My Story

#275204 - 02/14/09 07:25 AM Re: Suggestion for a New Forum [Re: NatureDrum]
nathan555 Offline

Loc: Australia
definately

I find when I see my psychologist it's really helpful for about 3 sessions but then he starts suggesting I relax and do fun things and I know he has reached his limit of understanding
so I have a break.

Nathan

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.