Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, tbkkfile, sentry, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441422 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#275001 - 02/12/09 08:49 PM CSA & Overall Health
Charlie24 Offline

I've been curious for a while now how our abuse has affect/effect, sorry not sure on which one, on our health. I seem to be always stressed and it get worse during my semesters at college. I've noticed my blood pressure is higher. I also notice that my gastrointestinal health seems to be in an uproar. I struggle with constipation. Sorry to get too detailed. I really wonder though how much our past abuse has caused our health later in life. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Charlie.

#275025 - 02/12/09 11:02 PM Re: CSA & Overall Health [Re: Charlie24]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Charlie,

smile

Frankly put, beyond the physical ramifications of the abuse itself, an awful lot of survivors seem to come away with a disgust and self hatred for their physical selves. Betrayed by our bodies that have responded to the sexual overtures of a perpetrator. The confusion, the fear and the anger that is in conflict with arousal.

I think the contempt manifests itself in a lot of different ways. Neglecting our physical needs, not paying attention to our medical needs, self abuse.

Self abuse in many different forms, reckless behaviors, sexual, drinking, drugs...there are as many variations as there are survivors, it seems like...I think, as we attempt to deny and formulate strategies to defend, both, at the same time.

Thanks for posting this...

wink

Dave

#275062 - 02/13/09 12:40 AM Re: CSA & Overall Health [Re: ttoon]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
What do you do for work? Has the fact that you are a survivor and may be a bit isolated or socially-anxious led you into working in a stressful environment by choice? In my own case I became a truck driver despite high SAT scores, a pilot's license, and the Dean's List in college. Trucking is a stressful business where you are always in a hurry and eating fast food on the go. It was a great job for isolating. And now I have bad acid-reflux as a result, and have to take Protonix for my burned-out esophagus. I also have high blood pressure because of my weight and have to take medication for that too. And I am still trying to quit smoking cigarettes too. If you feel badly about yourself, (low self-esteem or depression), you most likely won't take care of yourself well. And that can lead to other health problems over time. Ever do coke or crank? How are your teeth?

So yes, there is a direct relationship between living with unresolved CSA, in an isolated environment, with excessive shame and guilt, low self-esteem, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, and your physical health. This is what was taught in my first attempt at drug treatment in 1996 anyway. Check-out the Cenaps model of drug treatment, if you can find it. They talk about the connection to health there. And I can say with conviction that I have had a lot less in the way of health issues since I quit illegal drugs and mostly resolved my childhood abuse issues.

Hope that this helps,

Mark

#275222 - 02/14/09 11:58 AM Re: CSA & Overall Health [Re: Trucker51]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Charlie,

I would agree with the rest that the abuse issues can put a person in a position where they do not take care of themselves. Also, as you mentioned, there is the stress and anxiety issues that go along with all of this that by themselves create problems. For me, I am doing the best I can to take care of myself. I try to eat well and get exercise (not over the top for each of these, but just to pay attention to what I eat and to get consistent physical activity). I have a big issue with alcohol to the point where I know it tears me apart no matter how much I watch the rest, but I have not drank in near three months and it feels good. I say take charge where you can, and as far as the stress and anxiety goes just keep facing things and as you find more peace and acceptance in regards to the past it will have less hold on you (I don't think it ever just disappears but if you create a better present for yourself, and if you can work through the abuse issues, the past can have less relevance). Deep breaths sometimes help me when there is a need as well in regards to stress and anxiety. Also, there can be dietary issues that could be contributing to the issues you mention though that is just a thought. Good topic.

Eric

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.