Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442054 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275000 - 02/12/09 08:48 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: joelRT]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
That is an interesting idea: Videophone, etc, survivor groups. I was thinking more of Joel's "victory" motorhome tour of the US. Stop-off in Pittsburgh and Denver, among a few other places. We have several weekly men's support groups here in Denver, so why couldn't we broadcast groups by either videophone or webcam? The technology is available.

Question is??? How much will it cost and how much is it worth? There are already lots of college courses online.

I don't know Joel, just think how much you could help that other guy out, all alone with all of those women???

Victory tour, Victory tour!!!!

Mark

#275002 - 02/12/09 08:53 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Trucker51]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Mark,

I don't know whether to kick you or kiss you - I think I'll forego both, if you don't mind smile

You may freakin' well be onto somethin' here..................

#275006 - 02/12/09 09:05 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: joelRT]
Survivinguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
At the very least, it's possible to set up a private connection between two computers over the internet (regardless of locations) for face-to-face communication but I will have to ask some IT/geek friends about the technology/cost for doing a group connection.

I can already hear some counselors or therapists discouraging counseling over a webcam-broadcast because of risk/insurance/liability concerns.

But at the very least two people from opposite sides of the country (or world) can already agree to meet via webcams. There are a number of host companies that provide that service. My mom bought my family a webcam so she could see our kids and other than the cost of the webcam it doesn't cost anything else. When I get home tonight I will send a PM with the company/host we have on my wife's computer. Webcams vary widely in price but I'm sure a low end one probably runs at about $20 now.

Let me know if you do the Tour though!

============================================
I have to survive and I hope to thrive.

Alumni Dahlonega WoR May 2010
Alumni Sequoia WoR March 2012

#275007 - 02/12/09 09:13 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Survivinguy]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Quote:
I can already hear some counselors or therapists discouraging counseling over a webcam-broadcast because of risk/insurance/liability concerns
Yes, because all therapists are so freakin' qualified and capable when it coes to our issues!

And it's not like we would be offering professional therapy as much as self-help support!

I wanna know more, please............

#275017 - 02/12/09 09:57 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: joelRT]
brother2none Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Undisclosed
Im flat out amazed at you guys, you are an inspiration to me, reminding me that I have the power to continue on forward, that the smallest step forward is still great. And mindful about the journey itself.

#275029 - 02/12/09 11:12 PM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Trucker51]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Trucker51
That is an interesting idea: Videophone, etc, survivor groups.

why couldn't we broadcast groups by either videophone or webcam? The technology is available.

I think this is a wonderful idea.

How can we run with this?

I always felt like my hands were tied in previous groups as we waited for each other to type our messages.

I also think group size should be limited. It has been proven that groups larger than 12 cannot communicate effectively.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#275053 - 02/13/09 12:11 AM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: pufferfish]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
you can conference with yahoo messenger, which is a free download. also, ichat has conferencing capabilities as well.

i have both.

and i have had video conferences with a couple of guys from here already.

fancy that! why didn't someone think of this before??????

probably because it is something that would have to take place outside the aegis of the organization.

but i would definitely be open to having group chats. we could look into it and maybe start a new thread, now this this one has grown organically shedding it's original s[k]in.

ron

#275055 - 02/13/09 12:19 AM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Sans Logos]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
There was a commercial on TV lately for an outfit called Go To Meeting.com. I wonder if that is a video-conferencing site?

Mark

#275059 - 02/13/09 12:30 AM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Trucker51]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
personally, i suggest avoiding such sites. most of them try to appeal to a wide variety of people, and often times you have to be careful not to trip over the naked bodies as you try to get thru the door.

the yahoo messenger does not require using a particular webportal from which to conference with others, and functions only within the interface itself.

does that make sense?

ron

#275066 - 02/13/09 12:54 AM Re: After careful deliberation …. [Re: Sans Logos]
endlessjourney Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Wow, that was stated with much conviction. Good post. I did notice you seemed rather angry and fed up with it though. You've been in recovery for twenty-three years and it is only you that can be the judge of the best path for you. Not any therapist, or any of us on this site.

About a year ago, I decided that it was time for me to move on from CSA. I knew that my "graduating" was not the end of my problems and there was no light at the end of the tunnel, for recovery is slow and gradual as you very well know. However, it was the journey that I love the most about it. Yea, many parts of it sucked BAD!!! However, I found out what I was truly about. Beneath of all the fear and lies emerged a great courageous soldier that I never knew lived within me. I bet you can relate to that feeling.

One thing to keep in mind. When I posted my message stating my "moving on", I had a few guys ask me to keep in touch on this site and perhaps help some of the guys that were struggling with CSA issues as well. I was more than willing and I'm still here. Not as often as I was but I feel great satisfaction helping others defeat the very demons I wrestled with for years. I shall pass on the love like so many here have done for me when I was completely lost. It is not expected of you, but, I do hope that if you are truly "done", then you come back and see us sometime. Whenever you think is a good time and if not, that's OK too.

Peace and good luck my friend
Jason

Truth is the very reason we strive to live. It surrounds and resides within us. Accepting the truths we already know and seeking out those we do not is a direct path to inner balance and joy. For life is not a means to an end, but a journey. Life comes and goes but the truth will always live on.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.