Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (Mike26, lapchinj, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63569 Topics
444142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#274329 - 02/07/09 11:36 AM Medications vs. Other Options?
Charlie24 Offline

Guys for some reason I have so much to say today so I'm starting on a second post. I am a CSA. I have seen therapists in the past but am not currently in therapy. I hope this post is also in the right location. All three of the therapists I saw, they all wanted to medicate me. I got frustrated and fed up cause after months of trying to let it work I just felt worse and the medication didn't seem to help. I spoke to them about this and they told me they would have to up the dose. I got frustrated and having to keep increasing the dose. I sometimes wonder if therapists are quick to whip out the pad and write you down a pre>

#274344 - 02/07/09 01:13 PM Re: Medications vs. Other Options? [Re: Charlie24]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
charlie, excellent question, and i'm glad you are posting. chat away. those who have ears to hear your words will be grateful to hear that message.

i have never taken medication, nor have i ever pursued it. i know that is not everyone's path, and i certainly don't judge or look look askance at those whose very survival depend on it. we all have differing constitutions in brain chemistry, mental capability, and therefore, there is no one size fits all cure.

however, for me, since i did not think that i needed meds, i wanted more to have my wits about me as i met the moments of the day. i always felt that if i were medicated, then i would miss something. i am not sure what that something was that i thought i would miss. i think it was my own shame of being so broken as to need to vacate my authentic self, that caused me to white knuckle it.

but all in all, the pre>

#274538 - 02/09/09 08:11 AM Re: Medications vs. Other Options? [Re: Sans Logos]
1love4christ Offline

Loc: ca, usa
hey charlie,

i'm glad to post this because i strongly believe that god has given us everything in jesus christ to face any mountain. i'm a naturalist who rarely ever takes medication, not even when i'm sick with the flu, will i take medication. if i have a headache, i will relax and drink water.

therefore, how can we deal with the past without medication?

allow me to share with you how i do this. i do this in a crawling, brokenness, and faith of jesus christ holding me up. i am not to walk but to see him guiding me through my emotions. i have been known to my family members a dramatic, overly emotional, depressed, sad, and questionable but i always remind them, "would you like an act or would you like to really know how i'm feeling?"

and when i realize that some people cannot handle my saddness, or anger especially, i go to jesus in tears asking if he would understand me because i can't find anyone else to know who i am despite my condition.

jesus christ has been known as the solution, but the only difference between him and medication is the delay of gratification. jesus christ does not prescribe a quick fix for he knows that our sinful nature can't be patient. but with jesus, you begin to learn the true meaning of intimacy and relationship where time is no longer recorded.

#274548 - 02/09/09 09:10 AM Re: Medications vs. Other Options? [Re: 1love4christ]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Originally Posted By: 1love4christ
our sinful nature can't be patient

i completely disagree with encouraging others to apply this type of misguided characterization to their already painful plight.

sinful nature? the idea itself is strictly allegory for the fact of our tendency as physical beings to decay. why attach the shame ethic? it's bad enough that we have to endure the monkey on our back as csa survivors, but to keep pounding the pretense that we are flawed is unhealthy and untrue and contributes to the self-disenfranchisement from that wholeness we seek.

i encourage charlie and everyone who is seeking healing to come to their own conclusions regarding such things, and to reject such messages from religious perspectives that merely reinforce the notions that we are terminally and irretrievably broken.

further, i encourage each one to connect with healing energy, ideas and processes that are nurturing and wholesome, and to do so in love and support of each other, as well as in personal covenant with the divine.

this website is a pointer to healing not further self-recrimination and victimization. i hope we can learn to eliminate these negatory messages from our ingrained self-talk, because they do not make us any more worthy, valued or loved nor endearing in any eyes, human or otherwise.

ron

#274561 - 02/09/09 11:24 AM Re: Medications vs. Other Options? [Re: 1love4christ]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Nestor,

If I want Church, I freakin' well know where to go for it!!!

For the love of God Almighty, stand down from f***ing pulpit already.

If you need to preach your confused doctrine then please use the Spirituality Forum.

How many different ways does this need to get said?!?!?!

#274565 - 02/09/09 12:03 PM Re: Medications vs. Other Options? [Re: joelRT]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Charlie;

My $0.02 on meds used to be NEVER DAMMIT !!! and it has softened greatly over the past several years. I think I was tagged by media as much as my learned distrust of everyone, and therefore anyone that would suggest meds to solve a problem. I've lost a lot of time due to my multitude of intolerances and today I am not medicated, but I do now nurture myself by pursuing professional help with my aches and pains ( Spiritual, Emotional, and physical ). As a testimony, of sorts, a dear friend of mine, and fellow CSA/Incest survivor, recently acquiesced to a diagnosis of Bi-Polar and went on meds... He has commented that had he done this 9years ago when he was first diagnosed he would be far better off today. Sure, shop around and do not blindly accept being medicated; however, boldly repelling a recommendation can be as damaging.

As for other ways of dealing with issues I have found benefit is group therapy -- this time last year I was in a group for CSA/Incest survivors (all men) --. In addition I have 2 12-step groups that I qualify for and attend regular meeting for, I also see a therapist regularly. My physical well being is cared for on my daily walks, and activities with my family. As the AAs have been saying for years "act yourself into right thinking". For me taking the actions of nurturing my body, mind, and soul keep moving me to better places of being. Whatever the path you take in each of these 3 principal parts of your being apply action to them and the rewards will always be there for you.

Love always, Wes

~~~~

Nestor...

I struggle with how to address you. your posts take me to a very dark place in my live experience. I spent the mid 1990's as an intolerant Evangelical Zealot and those who did not agree with me were at best Godless heathens --essentially dead to me--. this phase delayed my recovery and healing by a decade; I say this due to my separating from people and organizations I was connected with, one of which clearly provided they impetus that started my recovery and healing.

When I read your posts they trigger me. The tone, the phrasing, and the content ring of me in the mid 1990's and I have a hard time thinking of you in loving and caring ways. This now brings me to knowing the I must turn to the God of my understanding to ask for the forgiveness that I need for the anger and hatred I have for myself due to my behaviour and attitude during those years. I also pray for the forgiveness that I need for the anger I feel toward you.

Thx for triggering me this way, I already feel better. Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.