Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, atari_kid86, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443357 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#274048 - 02/05/09 09:58 AM US Justice Dept study mostly ignores male victims
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I found and read much of a recent US Dept of Justice study of campus sexual assault. It's disturbing how male victimization is ignored or minimized in the study.

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf

They found 6.1% male victims .vs. 19% female of ATTEMPTED OR COMPLETED sexual assault. And for COMPLETED assaults, 3.7% male victims .vs. 13.7% female.

So male victims are about 1/3 as common as female... So we ignore them? No mention is made of a need for victim services for men.

It's disturbing how stereotyped the prevention recommendations are. Women needing to protect themselves and men to know the penalties. Men aren't asked to talk to other men, learn about the life-long serious effects and prevelance, ...

I had hoped scientists would not be so culturally bias since facts are facts. But they are distorting the findings to conform to a stereotype of male perpetrators and female victims rather than accurately represent findings.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#274103 - 02/05/09 08:58 PM Re: US Justice Dept study mostly ignores male victims [Re: LandOfShadow]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: LandOfShadow
I found and read much of a recent US Dept of Justice study of campus sexual assault. It's disturbing how male victimization is ignored or minimized in the study.

It seems to me that the DoJ takes great pains to emphasize that it is NOT a DoJ study; the front page indicates that it is only a report, written by some people who used a DoJ grant but were not DoJ employees or consultants. That's an important point.

But yes, I agree with you about the subject matter. Different subheadings divide victims into groups such as age, race, and sorority membership, but "sex" is noticeably missing. Also, the entire report consistently refers to perpetrators as "he" and victims as "she"; I havent' noticed a single instance where this is different. The report is unabashedly biased.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.