Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444538 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273799 - 02/03/09 10:05 AM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: nomansanisland]
Juni Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, WPB
Hi nomansanisland,

Welocome to MS and healing. Take your time. It took me a while to come to terms with what happen and then another long while to express my thoughts after I came to MS. Someone here, I think it's Joel, says "the longest journey you will ever take is the journey to self discovery." This is so true. Easy does it and welcome.

Juni

#273803 - 02/03/09 10:35 AM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: Juni]
nomansanisland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NM
Thanks Juni, I am trying to figure out where to start, theres so much to do. I don't even have all the language down. All I know is that I want the pain and tears to stop. I have isolated myself for so long, I feel like I haven't had a chance to have a life.I am greatful for any help that anyone may suggest...nomansanisland

#273804 - 02/03/09 10:44 AM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: nomansanisland]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Hey Noman,

Welcome to our support site. Glad that you found us. I think that you will find that we are a caring and understanding bunch of guys. We are all here working together to find the freedom that we were all born to deserve. If you haven't done so already, try to get a copy of either Mic Hunter's book ABUSED BOYS or Mike Lew's book VICTIMS NO LONGER, both of which are available from our own online bookstore off of our homepage. Another book that I found helpful in my own recovery is SELF ESTEEM, by Matthew McKay, PH.D, which I got at Border's. Once you get your feet back under you this site also runs several intensive recovery weekends each year. Information about them is also off of our homepage too.

Again, welcome, together we can.

Mark

#273817 - 02/03/09 11:41 AM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: nomansanisland]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
nomansanisland,

Wecome to MS. You did exactly what you needed to do yesterday - check us out, read the post (both past & present) and just generally get a feel for the place.

I'm sorry that you have to be herre, but I'm glad for you that you have found us.

You'll see, as many have before you, that you will rather quickly begin to feel affinities with certain guys here - before you even realize it, you're making friends with other survivors!

#273832 - 02/03/09 01:02 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: joelRT]
nomansanisland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NM
Thanks for your reply, I am on a journey for sure. I only have spoken of my past to 2 other people , both women who were sexually abused and with whom I had lengthy discussions. I have never met or spoken to another male who was abused\molested. I have so much to learn. I will take the advise and do some reading ...(that I am now ready for).

From reading the posts yesterday, I found out that alot of my own manifestations from abuse are common among the men here. I am so relieved. Thanks for caring and for the real support...nomansanisland

#273842 - 02/03/09 01:19 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: nomansanisland]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
My best friends are survivors, there is definitely a special bond because we are survivors and understand eachother, but that is just a stepping stone, we let eachother in through the barriers that we present to other people who we are afraid to let in, and with those that we do let in we often find that we like what we see in eachother, and it is a very pure thing

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#273874 - 02/03/09 05:52 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: king tut]
SurviveManc1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manchester, UK
I agree Lewis, there is something special.

When i went to a Survivors Retreat last year, there was 23 guys there that i had never met and at the time i was working through my issues with generally being around men i didnt know.

So it was a huge risk for me to take by going there alone.

But when i got there, it just felt right. I felt everyone's pain and they felt mine. it was like there was this unwritten unspoken rule of... "hey, we know because we feel it too".

Truly unbelievable.

I'm making new friends too that are survivors. Its not BECAUSE they are survivors, but because they get me and i get them. Its because of the connection.

#273889 - 02/03/09 08:05 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: Trucker51]
Survivinguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Trucker51
We play golf together, ski together, dine together, and have all kinds of fun, and we are always looking for new members. I think that it helps some with social anxieties too. It is hard to meet new friends at our ages, and this is something that we have in common. Sometimes we even talk recovery issues.

I think for me this is a two-edged sword (though I really can't imagine the usefulness of a one-edged sword in medieval combat).

On the one hand, I am struggling with my next phase of healing which is particularly isolating and sad. I read the books, I did therapy, I did group. I thought I was done and then last week - I discover one minor detail (via an emotional flashback) - I never recovered/experienced/felt the emotions of/during all the memories of abuse. So I'm back in therapy but with these emotions flooding in (much like the memories themselves did ten years ago) I find myself desparately sad at times. I don't want to call my T just because I'm feeling sad. I look over all the names in my cell phone - I look to the couple names of people that know my story and I think - no - they don't really understand and I hate being that random self-absorbed burden on them. I think in those times of utter loneliness, sadness and despair - it would be great to be able to call someone, a fellow survivor, and just know - when they hear my voice - they will know - I'm in one of those moments. We wouldn't really need to say very much - we would just know and the isolation would fade.

The other edge of the sword - being in the immediate presence of fellow survivor and knowing they won't buy the bullsh*t, I couldn't hide behind sarcasm or wit and they would see or know all my insecurities. I think about the vulnerability it would create - I think maybe that vulnerability would be good if in the presence of someone I could trust. The idea of that someone being a fellow survivor and a _man_ - it's almost too much to contemplate for so many different reasons.

Then to read your post - golfing, skiing, dining? It's pretty hard to imagine honestly (and not just because I'm lousy at golfing and skiing).

When I attended group - it was group counseling - a group of men, at counseling - a set amount of time every other week, end of story. I really honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be in a group of male survivors just for the sake of company.

And a retreat of survivors? I don't think I have enough tears to cry - that's probably a good couple more years down the road for me I think.

I nearly deleted this post just now - I think it might not make any sense or sound like my brain threw up.

Sorry for the mess but I still needed to think those thoughts outloud.

============================================
I have to survive and I hope to thrive.

Alumni Dahlonega WoR May 2010
Alumni Sequoia WoR March 2012

#273896 - 02/03/09 09:54 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: Survivinguy]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
So no one from your old group used to go out for coffee or desert after a group meeting? Nor did anyone from the group call each other when they had something or some issue to discuss? No one shared any group recreation or group events?

I'll admit, at my first group I didn't really ever feel comfortable even being there, I hardly ever talked there, and I was never a part of any outside group events. At my 2nd survivor group, the counselor used to run weekend hiking & camping groups into the mountains. At several other of my substance-abuse or survivor groups we used to go out for coffee afterward or even to dinner before group. I've been skiing with 4 different guys from different drug or survivor groups, and played golf with several guys from therapy too. I'm one of several members of a weekend social group of survivors currently also.

It is probably a better thing after someone has had some time in recovery and is ready to accept that level of involvement. Remember, a lot of guys in recovery never make the transition from individual therapy to their first group. That is where I think that mentoring would come in handy, but that would also come with issues of unhealthy attachments too. Still, I think that the benefit would outweigh the risks, and more guys would be able to make that difficult transition more quickly without giving-up.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing such difficulty after you had thought that you had it made. Been there, done that, I'm afraid. What killed my first attempt at recovery was isolating and feeling sorry for myself. Developing a social support network is one of the things that finally led to my freedom after my 2nd attempt at recovery. I befriended a survivor that was 7 years ahead of me in his own recovery, and he introduced me to a couple of guys from his group. We played golf, went to hockey games, and dined together. Without his leadership my recovery would have been much more difficult.

Hope that everyone gets to experience that kind of positive and friendly mentoring someday in their own recovery, because it sure helped me.

Mark

#273915 - 02/03/09 11:57 PM Re: Friends with another survivor? [Re: Trucker51]
Survivinguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Trucker51
So no one from your old group used to go out for coffee or desert after a group meeting? Nor did anyone from the group call each other when they had something or some issue to discuss? No one shared any group recreation or group events?

I only ever attended one group and it lasted about two years. The therapist effectively prohibited it saying that it would be nearly impossible for us to avoid discussing recovery issues, that it would be dangerous without him and that we wouldn't remember to bring it back to the group or we would share information without him.

Looking back - that didn't work so well and the group ended very, very poorly. The T quit after having a bitch session and then a "closure" session.

I lost touch with the other guys - the group had been in place long before I joined and while the guys were nice, I never felt I was really part of it - more like a guest.

WOW - weekend hiking groups in the mountains!? I think you should nominate that therapist for sainthood or an oscar or something!

I agree that group is an important step - it was a huge, huge step for me to take my issues from individual therapy to a room of other men. Even as bad as it ended - I'm glad I did it. I know it makes me stronger for having had the experience at all.

How did your weekend social group start? Are you all generally the same age?

Thanks for the understanding about coming through the therapy process for the second time - it's hard. It was very hard to admit I needed to go back to therapy but now I know it was the right thing and now I'm a thousand times more determined than the last go around - I've told my therapist I want to try every form of therapy I resisted in the past - I know I can do it (again) (and better).

Thanks Mark

Edited by Survivinguy (02/04/09 12:05 AM)

============================================
I have to survive and I hope to thrive.

Alumni Dahlonega WoR May 2010
Alumni Sequoia WoR March 2012

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.