Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (Tiger1982, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#271164 - 01/13/09 06:44 PM The lost cord sullivan.
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
The lost chord is a hymn, words originally written in the 1820's and then later set by Arthur sullivan for his brother's funeral.

It's a piece I've sung in concert quite a few times, ---- both in chorus and as a solo sinse it's one of these tenor show off pieces and has some of sullivan's best chord sequences.

For now though, it just occurred to me that the words, ---- probably in a slightly different way than sullivan, or the original author meant them some up my God problem at the moment.

I'd prefer to sing them, but sinse i can't I'll just copy them here from memory:

"Seated one day at the organ, I was weary and ill at ease, and my fingers wandered idely over the noisey keys,
I knew not what I was playing, or what I was dreaming then, but I struck one chord of music like the sound of the great amen, like the sound! of the great amen!

It flooded the crimson twilight, like the close of an angel's salm, and lay on my fevered spirit with a touch of infinite calm,
It quieted pain and sorrow, like love overcoming strife, it seemed a harmonious echo, in our discordent life.

It linked all perplex'd meanings, into one perfedct piece,
And trembled away into silence as if it were loathed to cease,
I have sought but I seak it vanely, that one lost chord devine,
Which came from the soul of the organ, and entered into mine.

It may be that death's bright angel, shal speak in that chord again,
It may be that only in heaven I shal hear that grand amen,

It may be that death's bright angel, shal speak in that chord again,
It may be that only in heaven!

i shal here! that! grand! amen!"

#271671 - 01/17/09 02:48 AM Re: The lost cord sullivan. [Re: dark empathy]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thanks for posting this, DE. For some reason, I had the melody of the hymn "Love Lifted Me" going through my head while reading the words to the hymn above. It's like the rhythym of it just followed that. I love reading old hymns and seeing the message that the author was trying to convey in them.

#271786 - 01/18/09 09:33 AM Re: The lost cord sullivan. [Re: EGL]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Unfortunately, sinse my parents lost touch with organized religion after my mum's abortive attempt to become ordained, ----- which is quite another story but basically boils down to The anglican church discriminating against disabled people (both my mum and those she wanted to minister to), I really haven't done anything formally religious, though as I said in the spirituality thread, did at one time do lots of meditation and more informal stuff.

So my knolidge of hymns really isn't as great as it could be.

if you like the words though, I'd absolutely! recommend you hereing sullivan's original, it's a fantastic piece of music in it's own right and complements the words exceptionally well. Reading them alone just doesn't do justice I think.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.