Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
6 registered (Cam76, 5 invisible), 75 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62516 Topics
438105 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#271573 - 01/16/09 01:46 PM Story on CSA in Alaska:
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Alan (Hauser) sent me this link by private email today and this now makes my 2nd public response in public media on this subject. Thank-you so much Alan for sending me the link.

http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/patko...ments_Container

My response in the newspaper there is under the penname TruckerMark. It's text is below, and was limited to 1000 characters by the newspaper's policy.

The sexual victimization of boys, and drug or alcohol abuse and suicide amongst its many victims is a difficult subject, but not a new one. Here in the Lower 48 there has been increasing awareness of this subject over some years now, and there are some resources available to survivors. Two well-written books on the subject authored by pioneering therapists were written almost 20 years ago. ABUSED BOYS was written by Dr. Mic Hunter out of St. Paul, MN, and VICTIMS NO LONGER was written by well known therapist Mike Lew. In addition there is a recognized survivor support site at: www.malesurvivor.org, which is run by survivors, for survivors. One incorrect point that Elise makes is in her assertion that boys are less likely to be victimized in their teenage years. Studies have shown that teenage victims are more likely to suffer violent sexual assaults than are younger victims. Otherwise Elise's writing is an important reminder of a sensitive subject with far too victims.

Oops, I posted it twice, for extra effect!!! I'm on page one of three pages of reader's responses.

#271579 - 01/16/09 02:33 PM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: Trucker51]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for helping get the word out. The more I deal with this stuff, the more I want others to have a better understanding of what I struggle with and why things may have been the way they were for me.

But that is just the minor picture. I want others to be aware that this happens so as to help prevent it in the future. Also, I want people to know so that when others are having issues in their lives they can maybe help identify what may have happened so that those that have been abused and are suffering trauma can get help and not be misdiagnosed as something else (let's face it, many men don't share this easily).

Good job Mark!

P.S. I just read through the article and I thought it was well written and concise, and did a great job getting the message across.

Edited by ericc (01/16/09 03:01 PM)

#271584 - 01/16/09 02:49 PM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: ericc]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Wow that ws a great article. Anything any of us can do to bring public awareness to SA of Boys is great. I still hear shit like "that doesn't happen to boys or boys will be boys." Keep up the great work.

lots of love, Nathan

#271607 - 01/16/09 06:43 PM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: Nathan LaChine]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Good work, Mark. It's really important when folks who know about the problem come in to address the issue. Thanks.

#271643 - 01/17/09 12:17 AM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Happy Birthday michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

Thanks for informative and supportive words for the csa causes.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#271667 - 01/17/09 02:35 AM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: michael banks]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Wow, way to go Mark! Excellent!

#271676 - 01/17/09 06:03 AM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: EGL]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Thanks Mark,
The more that the "word" gets out the better. great job.
Heal well my friends/brothers.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#271681 - 01/17/09 07:57 AM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: ericc]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Jeez Mark, it must be in the water.... This is what I wrote to Laurie Graham of the CBC this week following up a segment she did on The National, a national evening news program... http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/crimejustice/to_catch_a_predator_1.html

Well done on your segment last night. It was a tough piece to cover. I'd like howvever, to make a couple of observations.

While you did address the issues of "children" being abused, you seemed to focus on female children. And that may indeed be the prevalent view of the topic, however its not the whole story. Male children are exploited and abused as well as female children. The effects are just as devastating and long lived. But if media do not portray this as a reality as well, the myths of male sexual abuse will continue to permeate our society.

Additionally, the portrayal of perpetrators being only male is in fact a myth. There are female perpetrators, and they do hurt children, frequently their own children. While the concept of a mother doing such things to their own children is for the most part inconceivable, the reality would prove otherwise.

I invite you to visit www.malesurvivor.org to gain more information. You can read posts there without registering. You can learn about the abuse of males, by males as well as females. You will learn how many men have had difficulties coping with what they now know to be abuse, and how alone they feel. You can learn about the myths of male sexual abuse, and you will learn also, about how few resources there are out there for men, them, us, me.

There are also a few Canadian links I can share with you. Tha National Clearing House on Family Violence has a number of publications that address the topic of sexual abuse of males. One such is the following to get you started. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ncfv-cnivf/familyviolence/pdfs/nfntsx-visac-males_e.pdf

Please Laurie, there is another side to your story. Another side that remains for the most part untold, and hidden by a society that says it doesn't want to consider its existance. Its not just poor Cambodian, Phillipino or Thai boys and girls that get hurt for the rest of their lives. They are Canadian, American, English, French, Italian, Australian and so on. Girls AND boys. Boys, and men deserve to he heard as well. Please help end the silence Laurie. Please?

Jim

Maybe we need a new forum to document our attempts at advocacy?

Edited by Geeders (01/17/09 12:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link to program

#271682 - 01/17/09 07:58 AM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: petercorbett]
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
Hey Mark, I read on AOL the other day about a convicted child sex offender winning a lottery that was benefited by an organization that helps prevent rape. Go figure! But I'm nnot surprised, that's how our luck usually goes, and in fairness to the guy, who I hope is learning from his evil ways, he did donate $100,000 of his $500,000 to the rape organization. Just makes me feel better than even people who have done bad things and have make mistakes will someday do the right thing.

But anyway, what surprised me most was that in the story, it said that CSA and rape is three times higher in Alaska than any other state. Crazy huh? And of course, there's more registered sex offenders too, so AOL said it wasn't a surprised that a registered sex offender won the lottery, because if you live in Alaska, there's a good chance that a neighbor or co-worker, on the cashier in your local supermarket is a sex offender. Sheeesh.... and who was running with John McCain for vice president?

Joey

#271710 - 01/17/09 01:13 PM Re: Story on CSA in Alaska: [Re: JasonSmalls]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Update:

Thanks for everyone's kind words, and my hat's off to Jim for his effort too. Whenever we find stories in public media about our cause and we are able to, I feel it is our responsibility and a great honor to share our message, in the hope that in doing so we can help others less fortunate find their way to freedom also.

Last night at our local MS social group out for dinner at Applebee's, it was revealed that Andy (Former Texan) was the original source of the information, and it is my responsibility to give Andy full credit for his contribution to making this happen.

Thanks Andy and thanks again Alan. And thanks again to everyone here at MS. Together we can find our freedom.

Glad to see that you are back too Joey.

Mark

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.