Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (md4e, don64, OCN, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443125 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270685 - 01/10/09 11:22 AM Re: Pure evil [Re: melliferal]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Milleferal,

You make me feel very, very sad for you.

May you never unload your hatred my friend for fear of discovering that there is nothing of substance left to you.

#270686 - 01/10/09 11:39 AM Re: Pure evil [Re: melliferal]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: melliferal
but do you think there's something in his past - a "why he did it" - that could possibly make him less deserving of being labeled a monster? He's called a monster, after all, because what he did was monstrous.

What he did was monstrous, but that does not make him a monster. And he isn't. He is a human being like everyone else. All four of those talking-heads are just as capable and just as likely to do exactly what he did if given the opportunity and the chance to do it. To be honest, there is no way to know that they haven't done it.

Quote:
Is there some mitigating circumstance that would make what he did less monstrous?

No, but if he was horribly abused as child, it would explain why he behaved as he did. It wouldn't mean that his abuse caused him to behave that way, only that it played a major role in why he thinks and behaves the way he does. I just think that labeling him a monster has very little to do with what he did and more to do with people wishing to pretend, as Wendy Murphy claims several times in the clip, that they aren't capable of such things. And the best way to do that is by making those who have committed those acts not human.

Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you can’t defeat/Neither down nor out/There’s nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#270703 - 01/10/09 04:34 PM Re: Pure evil [Re: jacobtk]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I am currently reading a book on psychopaths. I am not ready yet to give a review of it, but there are many good answers to the questions raised here. Because the person in the original article is undoubtedly a psychopath.

Without Conscience: Disturbing World of Psychopaths, by Robert D. Hare.

http://www.amazon.com/Without-Conscience...2994&sr=1-1

The book points out the dangers that judges, law enforcement, and even medical people do not know how to recognize a psychopath. People on parole boards often can't recognize a psychopath. They (the psychopath) will injure people and then laugh about it later. The book points out that there are a lot of these people around and most of them go undetected. They hurt a lot of people. Often they are quite glib and persuasive. They can exude wonderful personalities. But they are highly dangerous. They have no conscience. A lot of perps are psychopathic.

When I am through reading this book I will post more about how you can recognize a psychopath and keep from getting hurt by them.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#270706 - 01/10/09 05:46 PM Re: Pure evil [Re: pufferfish]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Allen,

Thank you for this post - I can't tell you how à propos this is. My boy friend will soon be facing his perp in court and there is no doubt that this man is either a sociopath or a psychopath. Said boyfriend is re-living the trauma of the years of torture and rape that he was subjected to. When he haltingly describes to me some of the things that he was made to endure, he inssecently tells me that the worst of it for him was the fact that the guy would laugh in his face while subjecting to the most indecent of acts.

Geez, I'd better stop here because I feel a rant coming on and all I really wanted to do was say thank you. I'll pass along the info about the book, I'm sure it will be helpfull at least to some degree and that's already more than we have right now.

#270729 - 01/10/09 10:27 PM Re: Pure evil [Re: joelRT]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: joelRT
Milleferal,

You make me feel very, very sad for you.

May you never unload your hatred my friend for fear of discovering that there is nothing of substance left to you.

A fact that I am already at peace with.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#270892 - 01/11/09 09:48 PM Re: Pure evil [Re: melliferal]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
"I fail to see how hate-mongering by uninformed talking heads is in any way going to help get our of hope message out there."

When I saw the video, I took the reactions of the women as nothing more than political posturing. Yes, I am angry too, but they seem to carry it too far. If the genders were reversed, would we hear such cat-calling?

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#271349 - 01/14/09 08:23 PM Re: Pure evil [Re: FormerTexan]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
I see a lot of passion here from certain people. And I understand it.

I hate pedophiles. I hate child murderers. I will never weep when one of them dies. My tears are reserved for the victims. Does that mean I am consumed with hate? No, it doesn't. It can mean many things such as empathy and compassion and the desire to make sure that person can never do such harm again.

I do ask that we do not judge the passion of the person who shares here. We have no idea where that person is in his recovery.

Here's a little thought: Before you judge the feelings of a man here, search your heart and make sure you are not in denial of the same feelings. And if you find you are not in denial, then please understand that feelings and emotions are neither right nor wrong. They just are. Give each man the space and understanding to walk the path he is on. One day his feelings and thoughts may change. And maybe yours will too.

Remember that it is always easier to watch the crow than to have to eat it later.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.