Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63647 Topics
444512 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269959 - 01/05/09 03:37 PM CSA meetings
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
I was talking to another guy in chat today.
The topic of having some type of meeting for survivors like alcoholics have in AA came up.
Why is there not places like AA meetings for us survivors. Why are we not reaching out to each other as they did. Is our problems and situation so unlike theirs. Maybe they have provide the blue print for something we can build for ourselves. Alot of us have found the first taste of freedom thru AA and other groups.

If we don't reach out to those who still are hurting and lost then who. Is it not healing for both parties when we reach out to others. Would it not be easier for those in isolation from sexual abuse to come out of it in a place full of former isolators/survivors. Could we not come out futher from our own isolation by reaching out and helping others.

I find alot of help here in M/S. How much more help could we find and give each other in face to face encounters. Why can we not to come together and grow. Why have we not yet come together to grow?
I live in So.Cal. and would be willing to travel to attend and meet other survivors in the region.

What do you think?
Could we do this?
What do we got to loss?
If you are interested would you care to do this?
Is this too big of a dream.
Let me know.

Mike

Sorry if i placed this thread in the wrong place.

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#269965 - 01/05/09 03:59 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: michael banks]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Mike;

there is Survivors of Incest Anonymous, which is a 12 step group, http://www.siawso.org/ I have the sense that they are not readily everywhere that they are needed. And, SIA does not include all of us at MS... but I expect they would be a good place to enquire for those not abused by family members.

Peace, Love and Hope, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#269966 - 01/05/09 04:00 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: michael banks]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Mike,

It is amazing to discover that when we open up, in twelve step recovery programs, and expose frankly that we are survivors how many other people make the same admission. I do believe that that is the best place to start a group.

Years ago, I was part of an ACA group. Someone mentioned in passing while sharing that they had been sexually abused as a child. The direction of the meeting did a full three-sixty and became about child abuse. Of the approximatly twenty of us around the table, the majority had the same story to relate.

Many treatement centers for substance abuse estimate that roughly 90% of their clientele are former sex abuse victims which has led directly to their substance abuse issues.

I remember when I was in treatement for an addiction to codeine that a woman dared to share that she was gender confused and then went on to say that she had been repeatedly raped from the age of three - yep, you guessed it, most of us had a similar story to tell.

I guess the only question is : Who amongst us is going to sit down and formulate a working format for former CSA victims adapted from the twelve step one that we know so well.

#269967 - 01/05/09 04:02 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: joelRT]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
KeithR is also looking for a support group in Las Vegas. I suggested that you could meet him halfway, which would be around Baker.

Mark

#269968 - 01/05/09 04:05 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: wes-b]
michael banks Offline

Wes,

My question is why do we not have a support network for ourselves. It is not as if it is not needed. But it is just not there yet.

WHY?

WHEN?

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#269969 - 01/05/09 04:14 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: michael banks]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Thx Mike,

I see that now.. I also see that you appear to have struck a chord ;-)

I just peeked at the SIA site and they look to be fairly sparse, and the phone meetings predominately say Women only... which leads me to think that there is a paucity of male survivors in SIA...

that said SIA may be a resource for lit that is close to what an MS 12step would net out like.

Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#269970 - 01/05/09 04:19 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: wes-b]
michael banks Offline

Wes,

It would not nessscarily have to be 12-step connected just recovery oriented. Too make it available to as many as possible.
That all could be worked out. the point being to have a place for survivors to meet each other and to heal.
Why can't this be done?
Why are we not doing it now?

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#269971 - 01/05/09 04:37 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: michael banks]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Many guys use the classifed section to look for or announce the formation of peer support groups for survivors. I have started one that meets in the Tampa bay area of Florida. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in starting a group.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#269992 - 01/05/09 07:35 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: michael banks]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: michael banks
Why can't this be done?
Why are we not doing it now?

No reason it can't be done. As to why we are not doing it, I think that some are doing it. There are several meetings around the world that were put together by MaleSurvivor members. I've been talking about starting something in my area for a long time, but keep getting sidetracked by fear that it will not be safe, or it'll be too much work, or no one will be interested, or this that and the other thing. The more we talk about our experiences with support groups and the more groups we start, the easier it will be for me to get past that fear cool

You have inspired me to finally start a group, rather than continue to think about starting one! I've put a message about this new group in Indianapolis in the classified section of the forum.

Thanks for sparking me to do this Mike!

Happy New Year!

Mike

#269994 - 01/05/09 07:51 PM Re: CSA meetings [Re: mike5]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
We in Colorado have a support organization for CSA survivors.

Wings Foundation Inc. is an organization that assists adults to reduce the trauma of CSA, through therapists-facilitated meetings on a weekly basis.

My group meets every Tuesday evening for 2 hours. I am so very thankful for the support of other CSA survivors that I can talk to every week.

I do agree with all of you. Support groups would be so helpful for all of us.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.