Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyshark), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#269615 - 01/01/09 02:47 PM Ringleader gets 58 years in Orlando abuse case
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
***Triggers***

A drifter convicted of helping his gang of scam artists kill a Sanford woman and torture her young son was sentenced Tuesday to 58 years in prison by a Wisconsin judge.

Michael Sisk, 27, faced more than 136 years in prison on 10 charges, including second-degree reckless homicide, child abuse, false imprisonment and aggravated battery.

Sisk was convicted in August of helping his gang kill 36-year-old Tammie Garlin of Sanford and torture her 11-year-old son. Police found the boy locked in a closet and Garlin's body in a shallow grave behind the gang's house in Portage, Wis., about 40 miles north of Madison.

"I am sorry that everything happened," Sisk told Circuit Judge Alan J. White before his sentencing. "I would like to apologize to [the boy]. I am sorry I wasn't a man to stop everything from happening to him. I wish I could trade places with him."

Investigators think Sisk and his girlfriend, Candace Clarke, led a roving gang of identity thieves. The group included Sisk, Clarke and Clarke's 2-year-old daughter, as well as Garlin, her 11-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter, and Michaela Clerc, Garlin's former lover.

They rented a house in Portage, a city of 9,700 people, in February 2007 because they wanted to see snow, according to court documents. The group had been living in Sanford before they moved north.

Prosecutors contended the group turned on Garlin at some point, torturing and eventually killing her. Clarke told reporters in jailhouse interviews in 2007 that this happened after Garlin admitted to having sexual fantasies about her. Sisk became angry and felt betrayed, Clarke said.

Police searching for Clarke's daughter, whom she had kidnapped from a Lake County foster home, tracked the gang to the Portage house in June 2007. They found the boy, blood-streaked and starving, locked in a closet, his mother's body in a shallow grave in the backyard.

The child had burns on 40 percent of his body and lost fingertips and toes, pediatrician Barbara Knox testified.

A court-appointed representative for the boy, now 13, read a letter from him, describing how he was burned with a glue gun and hot water and hit with extension cords, a golf club and a paddle. The boy said Sisk hit his mother with a chair.

"I thought I would die when Michael was burning and hitting me," the boy said in his letter.

He added, "I would like Michael to go to prison for the rest of his life for hurting me and my mom."

Discovery of the boy spurred an outpouring of sympathy nationwide and forced the Florida Department of Children and Families to reform its system and assign specific workers to track missing children.

His sister also wrote a letter to the court, saying Sisk threatened her if she did not help bury her mother.

"I will never be the same because of you," the teenager wrote. "Michael, I am not a monster, you are."

While Sisk apologized in court, his attorney also read a statement in which he claimed he made poor choices because he had fallen in love with Clarke.

"I have always been a caring and loving person," he said in statement read by defense attorney Ronald Benavides. "I love her so much. I could not leave her."

Judge White called Clarke a "shameless liar" and said Sisk could have ended the abuse.

"There is an old saying, 'Love is blind,' " White said. "In this case, love of Miss Clarke was very misplaced by you."

Clarke, 24, and Clerc, 22, pleaded no contest to child-abuse and other charges earlier this year. Clarke was sentenced to 55 years in prison; Clerc got 37 years.

Garlin's daughter's case was moved to juvenile court, where proceedings are secret.

White sentenced Sisk about two weeks after ruling he couldn't back out of a plea deal that had him entering an Alford plea -- in which a defendant pleads guilty but doesn't admit guilt -- to a reduced charge of second-degree reckless homicide. Sisk pleaded guilty or no contest to the other charges.

Sisk told White on Dec. 17 that he thought his deal with prosecutors would avoid a mandatory life sentence for first-degree intentional homicide. But when he added the sentences up, he realized he still faced what amounted to life in prison. White rejected that claim as "incredible."

Prosecutors had asked Tuesday for an 82-year prison sentence. White ordered Sisk to serve 47 years of extended supervision after his 58-year prison term ends. He said a long prison term was needed to protect the public.

"You have done things that are horrendous," White told Sisk. "You did prey on the weak. How people could have lived in this type of horror story for two months is beyond belief."

District Attorney Jane Kohlwey called the sentence fair.

"It is probably a life sentence," Kohlwey said. "We don't know how long he will live. He will be in prison until he is an old man at least."

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am lost for words!

#269623 - 01/01/09 04:03 PM Re: Ringleader gets 58 years in Orlando abuse case [Re: reality2k4]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I really have to learn to stop coming to this world news part, i try to keep away from it but every so often i think no i am ok i can look at this i can't hide away from the world because that is like brushing abuse under the carpet, i think by reading about this it is spreading awareness and that is a good thing, but everytime i come here i either get really angry or cry. This just made me really angry and now i am crying. I don't know what to do with this world. Sometimes i think i just want to kill them all, but really i just want these evil people to feel what we feel, to understand what they have done, and when they understand, i'm quite sure that they will die from the inside out, and i wont cry for them.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#269626 - 01/01/09 04:16 PM Re: Ringleader gets 58 years in Orlando abuse case [Re: king tut]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
They will suffer more in life than death, which is too easy, a way out.

ste

#269846 - 01/04/09 03:06 AM Re: Ringleader gets 58 years in Orlando abuse case [Re: reality2k4]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I used to want them all dead but I want them to feel what we feel, what I have felt.....to live in FEAR!

Logan

-Blade Runner

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.