Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446830 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#269398 - 12/30/08 04:53 PM I have Hypogonadism?
Marinan Offline

What exactly is it? I know that it is low testosterone. But what are its effects?

#269400 - 12/30/08 05:11 PM Re: I have Hypogonadism? [Re: Marinan]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I have this as well, and as you noted it is low testosterone. It can be caused by any number of things, but basically the body does not produce enough testosterone to be considered in the "normal" range, which varies somewhat depending on the source you consult but is generally 300 - 1,100.

In my own case, I have a small microadenoma (tumor) on my pituitary gland that is inhibiting it from secreting Leutenizing Hormone (LH). The LH triggers the body to produce testosterone, so since the LH is low, then my testosterone is low. My ratings have been consistently about 200 - 270 (comparable to an 80 year old man, since our bodies produce less and less testosterone as we age) prior to starting a regimen of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I use a daily application of a gel-based substance called Androgel that is an alcohol base so the gel evaporates after application, leaving the testosterone on the skin to be absorbed through the skin throughout the day. It's rubbed on the sholders and abdomen. My ratings are generally about 400 which is normal for my age (47). During our teen years, the ratings would be about 1,000 or more, hence the term "raging hormones" in teens.

The symptoms in me that something was wrong and sent me to a doctor 5 years ago were tiredness (testosterone gives us strength), emotional issues (testosterone helps regulate our emotions), erection issues (testosterone helps with libido), and a general feeling of malaise. Having been on HRT for several years now, I can definately tell when I have been off it for a week or so. It's made a world of difference.

Below is a really good Wiki article about hypogonadism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogonadism

#269404 - 12/30/08 05:25 PM Re: I have Hypogonadism? [Re: EGL]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
I was diagnosed with Andropause in my early forties so I'll add my two cents here about HRT. It saved me and gave me life back. Men tend to be resistant to taking medication, but this is nothing to fool with. If your testosterone is below acceptable levels, get the medication!!!

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.