Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#268448 - 12/23/08 02:04 PM fear of attention
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Just writing this post to calm myself down. Probly won't post it. Having major anxiety. I missed my last Dr. appointment which means I have to see her on "standby" which means I have to sit in a waiting room full of people sitting across from me staring at me (or it feels like they are anyway.)

I couldn't deal last time I attempted this and ran out before I got to see the Dr. It's not that I'm afraid of people per se , it's just when I see two or more of them looking at me that I start feeling super anxious and self conscious and sick.

I really hate that feeling. Well another post in the "wah" category, but talking about it helps I guess.

#268490 - 12/23/08 08:50 PM Re: fear of attention [Re: blueshift]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Stare back at them with a mean look in your eyes. Ask them what they are staring at. Get up and move somewhere else. Or just ignore them. I know, not always that easy but just some thoughts.

Eric

P.S. I just wanted to add this because I just about it. The first three things mean you reacted and in a way they win (if they are truly staring at you). I'm not saying action isn't sometimes required. But the fourth option, ignore them, means there looking at you isn't going to control how you feel.

Edited by ericc (12/23/08 11:18 PM)
Edit Reason: added a P.S.

#268521 - 12/24/08 01:08 AM Re: fear of attention [Re: ericc]
Dusty Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
keep talking and posting this is the place, so many of us can relate to the anxiety state.

Dusty

#268592 - 12/24/08 03:30 PM Re: fear of attention [Re: ericc]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I consider it my own issue, and would not react as though anyone is being malicious or rude since that usually isn't what's happening. If I'm strong enough to deal with it I just tune it all out by playing a little video game on my cellphone (even though I hate those stupid games) and it makes it easier. I just turn the volume all the way down and pretend I'm winning even though I'm loosing over and over.

It gives me an excuse for not looking at other people at all.
It's just sometimes it just gets 2 overwhelming no matter what I do. The whole thing is just really silly but I can't help it.

And it's really confusing because it really isn't a fear about what people think about me, because I unless it's a trusted friend, I really don't give a crap what people think about me.
I just feel threatened somehow when there is are strangers looking at me.

Don't know what to call it either. Stage fright? Agoraphobia?
No label seems to fit which makes it that much harder to be able to talk about it with anyone. Well, boo hoo. I guess I have a lot worse problems than that..I guess it just bugs me cuz it seems like it's getting worse instead of better.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.