Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (wiresguy1, 3 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63805 Topics
445545 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#267912 - 12/19/08 11:37 AM Re: snow [Re: michael banks]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
I am going to assume here you are serious when asking what a toque is. So here is a definition I found online:

A tuque (Canadian French: tuque, sometimes also spelled toque or touque in English) is a knitted hat, originally of wool though now often of synthetic fibers, that is designed to provide warmth in winter. All tuques are tapered, they sometimes have ear-flaps, and may be topped with a pom-pon. (This style of tuque is often referred to as a sherpa). Tuques may have a folded brim, or none, and may be worn tightly fitting the skull or loose on top although the latter is considered more standard. The tuque usually is considered Canada's national winter hat, much like the fur hat is in Russia.

The word is not etymologically related to the name of the chef's toque, although it is sometimes spelled "toque" instead of "tuque" (still pronounced /tuk/) by assimilation, or occasionally touque, although the latter is not considered a standard spelling by the Canadian Oxford Dictionary[1][2].

And now you know! Now if only I had some poutine to warm me up on this cold and wintery day with all this bloody snow coming down. I think I'll go out and get me some. YUM! smile

Bon appetit!

Jim

#267921 - 12/19/08 12:19 PM Re: snow [Re: Geeders]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Greetings to my US friends/brothers, and to my TUNDRA (AKA Canada), Cananian friends, well here in south central Germany (Frankfurt area) it's green and it looks like the forecast is for a green Christmas. So go charter an air freighter and send me some. I always loved snow. As a young boy in Boston, one of our things to do was to hop cars. Now by that I mean that on those cars of the 30's & 40's had bumpers that stuck out from the body, and they were perfect to go sliding behind the car on. All you had to do was (as the car was going by) was to grab onto the bumper and with your butt just inches off the roadway slidig along, it was fun UNLESS you got the place right where the tail pipe was, or annnnnnnnd it sure hurt is when you are sliding along and your feet hit a thawed out manhole cover and you stopped but your fingers were still attached to the bumper, got many a black bruse on my face and knees, and some stretched fingers. But one of my fondest memories of being a young boy in Boston on a snow covered street. So get warm, and Heal well my friends.
Pete (Irishmoose)

Edited by petercorbett (12/19/08 12:21 PM)
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#267929 - 12/19/08 12:51 PM Re: snow [Re: petercorbett]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Jim,

I was serious, not sure but i think i know what is being referred to here.
I was born a southern boy and probably die one.
Thanks for the info.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#268079 - 12/20/08 12:22 PM Re: snow [Re: michael banks]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like you have the toque and mittens figured out. If Joel had said ski hat would that have made it easier?

As for poutine? well, its delicious! Fries, with cheese curds on top, and a hot gravy poured over to make the cheese melt. Oooey, gooey mess! Commonly referred to in my house as heart attack in a pan! There are two ways that when I die, I could go. One way, is with a bang, grin, the other is death by poutine! What a way to go!

Come up to the eastern half of Canada someday and you will love it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.