Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63208 Topics
441978 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#267203 - 12/14/08 11:37 PM Re: Weekends of Recovery? [Re: roadrunner]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Is there a list of criteria? I know a couple retreats in Colorado that might be possibilities ... if there was like a checklist I could go over - maybe I could find something. I mean - if we're still interested in finding places...

M

#267979 - 12/19/08 05:24 PM Re: Weekends of Recovery? [Re: MarkK]
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hi Mark,

I'm not certain that such a list exists. I do know that the team just knows one when we see and feel one. And a lot has to do with how we are received by the staff of the place and how helpful they are or are not in understanding and accepting the validity of our needs.

So just to name a few items, there is geography in terms of distance from a major airport; transportation to and from airport; number of rooms from singles to 3 or 4 per room; quality of food and snacks; three or four breakout rooms; a large main room for plenary sessions including movement; cost of room and meals; availability of space when we need it; types and number of bathrooms; space for a safe room; non religious setting without religious artifacts; and then there is the ever present "feel" of the place. Someone from the team must visit the site before it will even be considered.

This scratches the surface of considerations. Being faithful to all of our considerations is what helps make the WORs one of the best recovery experiences anywhere.

Dale

#267981 - 12/19/08 05:36 PM Re: Weekends of Recovery? [Re: Dale English]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

In other words - just think Kirkridge...

That would make sense.. And ... now that I think about it - I can see why it can be such a enormous task finding a place that does "fit" the needs of a WoR.

Thanx for the reply Dale.

M

#268049 - 12/20/08 05:14 AM Re: Weekends of Recovery? [Re: MarkK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

How about Winter Park, CO in the off-season? This first place has a variety of accommodations plus flexible meeting space and on-site food and bar service, and their off-season room rates aren't too high, especially for group rates.

http://www.winter-park-colorado-lodging.com/hotels/wpmtnlodge.htm

This 2nd place is nearby and is more of a condo resort. They have studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, and 3 BR units with full kitchens. They also have on-site food and bar service plus flexible meeting space. Their off-season rates are a little higher than the first place.

http://www.winter-park-colorado-lodging.com/hotels/ironhorse.htm

Both of these places are at the base of Winter Park ski area, which is within a 2-hour drive of Denver Int'l. Airport. DIA has several low-cost carriers plus is a United and Frontier hub, and a Southwest mini-hub. DIA also has non-stop service to London on British Airways and there are shuttle buses that run the route from DIA to Winter Park too. One can also arrive by Amtrak with a station nearby in Fraser, CO. Winter Park runs a scenic chairlift and allows mountain biking and hiking on their mountain, and there are other hiking and 4WD opportunities nearby. There are also numerous restaurants nearby, plus high-end golf opportunities and several large lakes nearby including Grand Lake and the western entrance to Rocky Mtn. National Park too. There is also a Quality Inn in Fraser that has conference space and would be even less in the off-season too.

This might be a little on the pricey side, but there are a wealth of character-building recreational opportunities nearby. There are plenty of other more remote or isolated/safer places available in Colorado too.

This place is between Denver and Colorado Springs and sort of reminds me of a western version of Kirkridge. In the Spring and Fall they offer the ability to rent the entire facility for groups. They do have on-site food service. It is a family-owned working dude ranch in the mountains.

http://www.lostvalleyranch.com/corporatemeetings.html

Mark

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.