Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#267420 - 12/16/08 01:27 PM an idea for the mission statement
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i just thought i would throw this out there and you guys could either laugh at it or take it to heart.

first, i appreciate the evolutionary turn the website has taken over the last several months to evidence its support for other oriented members. it is very good, and, to be sure, much appreciated that we have a forum where we can address issues specific to our needs.

neutralizing apparent tendencies toward religious bias, and bringing michael on board as moderator have done a lot to reveal the compassion and understanding of this administration.

while it was apparent to those of us who were/are here to witness it, i am concerned that for many who come here still bearing the fear of disclosure of their orientation, that it might be helpful if they saw on the main page a statement that identifies the website as accepting and supportive of all sexual orientations.

i realize that people can come here and see for themselves that there is a gay/bi/trans forum, but there is always a tendency for people to be argumentative, especially when they have strong religious viewpoints that are mixed in with their own sense of personal morality. perhaps the following addendum to the main mission statement might further neutralize any tendency to make any commentary that is disparaging of any particular orientation [or religious perspective].

i got this idea when replying to richard gartner's thread

from the mission statement [the bold is my addition]
Quote:
Male Survivor committed to preventing, healing, and eliminating all forms of sexual victimization of boys and men through support, treatment, research, education, advocacy, and activism, without regard to race, creed or sexual orientation

well thanks for reading.

ron

#267428 - 12/16/08 02:55 PM Re: an idea for the mission statement [Re: Sans Logos]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Brother Ron;

My vote is for you bolded addition to be adopted.

having it written on the entrance door ought to communicate to those entering our place of healing that tolerance is not only a good characteristic; But, an expected virtue.

As a former religious intolerant myself I pray that intolerance disappear. I was truly blessed when my son expressed to me the other day, while we were driving, that he didn't understand people who were intolerant. I shared my thoughts on it and that I had been quite intolerant myself in the past. We had a good chat and it thrilled me to talk with him about it.

anyway... back to your suggestion... It totally works for me !!!

Your Brother, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#267439 - 12/16/08 03:51 PM Re: an idea for the mission statement [Re: Sans Logos]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Ron,

I think we need to be careful of what is neutralize on this site.
Is M/S not open to all regardless of are own specific views or orgientation. I think we need to be careful not to put one groups needs ahead or at the expense of another.
What is appropriate for one forum may not be in another. And if a member post a reply that is not suite for a certain forum maybe they should be directed to where his view point is more appropriate to be expressed.

As a straight man I rarely read the post in the gay forum site and I never post any opinion there. To me it is an area reserved for the gay members of M/S to deal with those issues that they feel they need a more private place to address.
But the same respect needs to be given to those who post their religious belief that may not be as tolerant of the gay life style as some here may wish in the spiritual forum or other appropriate places.
We all need to know that whatever belief system or lifestyle we choose to live we will all be equally accepted and tolerated.

You know that the only important thing to me about any member is his right to heal from his abuse issues. Everything else is just not that important to me or should it be.

Is it ever right for a group of people to be intolerant of another group even if they feel that they are justified in this belief?

Your Friend,

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#267445 - 12/16/08 04:57 PM Re: an idea for the mission statement [Re: michael banks]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Just my 2 cents-
I'm not gay, bi, or transsexual; nor am i particularly religious/spiritual- therefore, i don't do too much posting in either of the forums addressing these things- not because i have any particular prejudices, but because i would feel it to be inappropriate for me to do so.

There may be a particular topic or post in those forums which i may find thought-provoking, or grab my interest- and i most certainly am happy to read posts, and reply to things upon which i feel qualified/comfortable to address- but the long and the short of it is, if i don't feel it really applies to me, and my instincts and common sense tell me that even my most well-intentioned efforts/thoughts are coming from a position of ignorance, or philosophical disagreement, then i try to simply let it be.

Certainly not everyone in the world shares my own world-view; therefore, i cannot always identify with the perspectives of others... and when that happens, that's OK!- there's still so much, that any of us who might be reading this, have in common, that i say- "Why worry- where should the focus really be"?

I'm here for recovery, and to take from MS what works for my recovery, and let alone what does not. Of course i have political and spiritual/philosophical points of view; but other than being honest about where i personally stand when asked, i won't ever try to let any of that interfere with learning from, and connecting with, my fellow survivors, as well as the friends and family that stand by us.

OK, i'm done babbling away now, promise ;-)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#267450 - 12/16/08 05:26 PM Re: an idea for the mission statement [Re: dgoods]
Dusty Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Got my vote. The forums cover a good range of topics and are clear in their guide lines that are good. Here I am a survivor first and one that happens to be gay and who happens to be divorced, so I didnít need clarification. Now that I have been here a while I have and read lot's of posts by men re being gay and being troubled by identity issues from the abuse, in the GBTQ and sexual identity forums I can see that if your suggested option were accepted it would make it easier for those tortured souls who come here and see that its an accepting safe place for them to venture beyond the first page. I found this site in its early days and never got past the first page, so thatís why you have my vote

Dusty

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.