Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Brandon (23), doctorfrau (51), dwigginsr (55), Glen (43), RFB (58)
Who's Online
4 registered (woodenshoes, 3 invisible), 54 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63101 Topics
441285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#260411 - 11/07/08 11:07 AM Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Sexual Aversion Disorder from the DSM-IV
(ask your therapist or a professionally licensed counsellor)

"anxiety, fear or disgust when confronted by a sexual opportunity with a partner.
The aversion to genital contact may be focused on a particular aspect of sexual experience...
Some individuals experience generalized revulsion to all sexual stimuli; including kissing & touching.
The intensity of the individual's reaction may range from moderate anxiety & lack of pleasure
to extreme psychological distress." (p499)

Sexual traumatization >>> Sexual Aversion Disorder >>> sexual identity/orientation confusion >>>?

Add cultural, social, religious & familial influences & you get the picture.

Talk to a professional. Talk to a couple. Ask questions.

Make an informed decision.

C

#260946 - 11/10/08 07:32 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: ineffable]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
I can definitely relate to this. Dating/Romantic situations bring a huge amount of stress. I tend to disassociate. It's just difficlt. I feel at such a total loss. It is just so difficlt to deal with.

#261250 - 11/12/08 09:32 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
umm...This rings true with what i experiance. But i'v decied that the way to stop feeling this is to stop have relationships!!

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#262024 - 11/16/08 09:31 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: Little_E]
deck Offline

I tend not to get involved romantically either-though it is something that I desire. I will say that I have a lot of friendships but nothing romantic. Most everything is asexual.

#262055 - 11/16/08 01:45 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
NickTLV Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I used to suffer from this. With some counseling and a VERY understanding/supportive partner, I was able to work through it. 90% of the time, love making is very safe & enjoyable now... about 10% of the time I can feel that old crap creeping up -- I just have to stop, open my eyes, look at who I am with, tell myself I am safe and with a loving person -- breath.. and if necessary, stop or redirect my spouse (sometimes it is just being touched a certain way that will "trigger" me.) At one I hated be touched, it actually felt like my wrists were burning and on fire --- today, things are much much better.

For me - the important thing was the right counselor... I had a few major issues I needed to work on. I found that I was trusting that one therapist too much -- he had great skills for some of my problems, but not all of them. I learned to interview therapists before committing to them. (They work for me, not visa versa.) Over years, I used three great therapists and learned a lot from each one.

#262974 - 11/21/08 12:11 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: NickTLV]
deck Offline

Finding an "nderstanding partner" almost seems like an impossiblity

#263060 - 11/22/08 12:35 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: NickTLV]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: NickTLV
(sometimes it is just being touched a certain way that will "trigger" me.)

Touch is the worst Trigger. Specialy in a romantic way. I like hugs, and to snuggle but Romantic touching is too hard, and i just freeze, and feel really crappy during and after.

Originally Posted By: deck
I Most everything is asexual.

That the way i feel about it too now! It just better not be sexual anymore, not to feel, or even try. Maybe far away in the further i might be able to try again, but for now, I will be asexual.

Elliot.

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#263399 - 11/23/08 11:19 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: Little_E]
deck Offline

I'm not necessary advocating being asexual. I do think that taking relationships off the table for a period of time to address more core issues will allow a much greater amount of focus on those issues.

Addressing core issues, especially the abuse itself, will hopefully allow us to build a foundation to address and resolve other issues (such as a feeling of inability to be in a relationship).

I think that it is unfortunate that I can't seem to have a romantic relationship with a woman. I feel guilt, shame and inadequacy when I look at a woman with sexual interest. I just tend to numb out leading to asexuality. I can be a good friend.

#266956 - 12/13/08 12:34 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
AndyS87 Offline

Loc: sorry, but I don't say on the ...
For me I would love it if I could find a girl who actually touch me romantically. It's funny though, the last time I had sex with a girl, my girlfriend at the time, she noticed that I was literally shaking all over. I was excited for it, but for some reason my entire body was shaking from head to foot. Since then I've been generally avoidant of sex in general. If I get an opportunity, I get really nervous and then I just freeze.

#267207 - 12/14/08 11:46 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: AndyS87]
deck Offline

It's difficult. I dissociate when I start to get physically close. I can't seem to stay in the moment.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.