Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (bcl092, myrlin, Nothing Man), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64190 Topics
447931 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#26681 - 10/21/03 10:26 PM Lexapro
muffin Offline

Loc: Washinton
Hi guys. I started on Lexapro last night, to help me with recovery from losing contact with my family, following my mother's attempt to abuse my son. My T recommended it, and I think I feel better already. Have any of you taken this and felt better so fast? I feel weird because this is the first time I've taken any drugs like that at all. When I was 16, my mom dedied my claims of abuse, tricked me into visiting a Mental Hospital, incarcerated me there and lied to the doctors that I was suicidal, violent, delusional etc. She was trying to get them to medicate me so that I really would go crazy, she told them I needed serious anti-psychotic meds, which is a lie, and it might have wrecked my life if I didn't convince the docs that I was sane. Anyway, I gues I have negative associations with meds, but my T said that lately, I've been self-medicating with alcohol, which is true. Tonight I think will be the first time I've had 2 dry nights in a row, for, like, forever. At least a year or two. I'm scared that this med means I'm crazy, but I trust my T. I feel like it's really important that I know in my heart that I won't be on the med forever, that I need it for a while, while I deal with emotional shit and that. I hate being called names, like alcoholic or depressed. People always tell me that those aren't "bad" words, but I really hate them. Anyway, I'm just wondering if any one has had similar experiences. I've had to lose contact with my family. My mother was my perp, my dad is clueless and my brother is very f**ked up, very angry, wants my parents money. Anyway, I guess I want the med but I also want to deal with this stuff.

#26682 - 10/21/03 10:35 PM Re: Lexapro
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi Muffin,

It's been a while.

Lexapro is not a medication docs give to "crazy" people. It is an anti-depressant and works well with anxiety as well.

I did take it for a short time. But after I started taking something else, I did not need the Lexapro.

There are some aspects of the effects of having been sexually abused that can be helped by talk therapy. But a lot of us find that one or the other of the medications on the market today, helps too. I think it all depends on our brain chemistry.

I have taken medications since I was in my mid-20s. I am 67 now. I am grateful for the help of meds. Some are nearly a miracle for me. Others have not worked.

Taking meds to help us deal with stresses and anxiety and many other things seems to make as much sense as taking meds for any chronic or even short term illness.

Muffin, try not to get into the frame of mind that has you thinking you are flawed because you are taking meds. That is just doing what you can to help yourself.

Take care muffin!

Bob

#26683 - 10/22/03 05:47 AM Re: Lexapro
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Hi. I just started on Lexapro just more of a week ago, and do feel better then I did on other medicine. But I also take another medicine regular also, Mellaril. So those two are working more together, and I am not having so much flashbacks and severe panic, although I still get scared and panic at times. I have had no side effects of it but some headache, and I hope that goes soon. I hope that things work well for you. I wish you well and good luck.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#26684 - 10/22/03 03:53 PM Re: Lexapro
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
I take Lexapro too. It is working well for me.

I think that traumatic experiences may alter our brain chemistry and certain medications help correct those changes. I think that negative experiences and the negative talk that is directed towards us when we are young trains our brain chemistry in ways that don't allow for an enjoyable life. I think that effective talk therapy can re-train the brain. I am hoping for something like that anyway.

I try to reject labels too. I think they are too general,like putting numbers on people instead of knowing their faces and who they really are. Words can be helpful sometimes but labels can sometimes be ways of preventing people from telling us truly who they are and what they are feeling.

#26685 - 10/22/03 06:08 PM Re: Lexapro
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Muffin
check out your post again re-read it.

Isn't there a whole pile of positive stuff in there ?

Enjoy all the positive things like 'trusting' your T, and two days without a drink. There's more in there as well.

Dave \:\)

#26686 - 10/23/03 12:50 PM Re: Lexapro
zoltin Offline

Loc: Southern Illinois
Muffin,

I'm with Dave. You have accomplished a lot. I too take Lexapro, along with Welbutrin. I was first treated for depression when I was 21 and am now 48. I have taken other meds too. I try not to fight them, but I sometimes fight against "taking these the rest of my life." But I have, overall, decided that if I am not willing to take advantage of ALL healing modalities I am not doing everything possible to take care of myself. There are so many other things I do for myself and my healing. The meds are such a small part. I am tired of shaming myself for my "inadequacies." Who says I'm inadequate? This screwed up culture we live in? America is an addict society and it tells me that I'm crazy? HAH! I need meds. I like to think they provide a vibration that counteracts some of the self-shaming, self-abusing, self-critical vibrations that were spun into me by my abusers.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.