Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (VASurvivor, 1 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#265734 - 12/07/08 01:25 AM Looking for support group in Iowa
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
Looking for a male support group in central Iowa, does anyone know of any? Been searching for awhile with little luck.

thanks in advance,

lars

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#265747 - 12/07/08 07:29 AM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: lars3229]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

lars,

The very first group I did was through 'Victim Services'in Des Moines, that was seventeen years ago. It was for male survivors of sexual assault.

Another resource might be, if Iowa State has a "Men's resource Center."

I live in MA now, but the suggestion was made to contact the colleges in search of a group. They had one here through the Men's resource Center.

Lutherain Hospital...no idea what they all themselves now, but ten years ago they seemed to be changing over to "Behavorial Health" with the affiliation to Methodist Hospital. Thirteen years ago there was a therapist trying to start a men's group there.

You might try "The White House" believe it or not, on Pennsylvania Ave., there in Des Moines. It is the headquarters for AA or, was. They might have some insight on a good day.

:-)

Dave

#266266 - 12/09/08 11:38 PM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: ttoon]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks dave! calling ISU tomorrow, only half an hour away so taht would be great.

I tried ICASA in Des Moines, the state's sexual assault hotline, but it wasn't much help...

I appreciate the help a ton,

lars

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

#266268 - 12/10/08 12:03 AM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: lars3229]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

lars,

I know Iowa State is closer but if you do not have any leads out of there...the Victim Services program use to run out of the Harold Hughes rehab section of the county hospital over on Hickman. Hmmm...what was the name of that hospital? Begins with an H???

I use to run back and forth between Marshalltown and Des Moines everyday. Back before it was a four lane.

Good luck!!!

Dave

#266967 - 12/13/08 01:30 PM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: ttoon]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Victim Services is now part of Polk County Public Health, a different name, but still there. I'm going to call them Monday and see what I can find out.

ISU has a variety of programs, but most are for students, so looking more toward Des Moines.

Thanks a ton. smile I really appreciate it.

Ken (aka lars)

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

#272146 - 01/21/09 09:07 AM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: lars3229]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hi Ken,

Did you find a group?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#272151 - 01/21/09 09:24 AM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: LandOfShadow]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

No such luck as of yet. The only groups my T is familiar with are for AA or SLAA, no basic support groups for survivors in general.

Still looking, but not finding a whole lot in the middle of Iowa. Victim Services has been of little help. I called last week again and they said they'd have someone get back to me, but still nothing. Hoping to call again today if I can get the time.

lars

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

#272297 - 01/22/09 06:21 PM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: lars3229]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is Victim Services simular to rape crisis centers that largely serve female victims of sexual assault? Why aren't they at least calling back? Do they have groups for women and not men?

There are people who should be handling us. I'm trying to understand what factors prevent it.

I hope you can find what you are looking for. Perhaps you could start a group if you're in a populous area.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#272371 - 01/23/09 09:37 AM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: LandOfShadow]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Victim Services is primarily for women. And they do have groups for women, but apparently none for men. frown
As for not calling back, they say the same thing each time I call. They'll have someone look into it for me a give me a call back later.
But, I will keep trying and searching. smile
Thanks Shadow.

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

#272617 - 01/25/09 06:10 PM Re: Looking for support group in Iowa [Re: lars3229]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you very much Lars. That's very interesting to me. This situation fits the pattern of social service agencies who claim to offer services for both men and women, and who's funding requires it, but in fact, no such services are available.

There are exceptions, but this is a predominant pattern.

Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.