Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444485 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#264467 - 11/30/08 09:25 AM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: siranthonysghost]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
No problem with the swearing Erric, I'm fine with it.

I think my concern about arrogance is that it's a path I can, ---- and sometimes have fallen into. I admit, that on this board it probably doesn't come across, but I do have a tendency to hold strong opinions and there have been points where I have either expressed them very badly, or expressed them in such a way as to be unpleasant to others, ----- even on occasion fallen into the sort of interlectual snobbery which is one of the things I really dislike in many highly qualified people and post graduates.

To give a symple example, ---- I mean people who considder any film which is not french impressionistic or art house to be terrible, ----- including things like starwars, or people who hold to a sort of dismissive, distructive kind of relativism and existential pesimism, ---- people who automatically assume that everyone is perminantly selfish or out to further their own goals all of the time, and that sinse all opinions and actions are relative and only related to social circumstance, upbringing or political affiliation, none have any value at all.

While I certainly don't subscribe to the point of view, I have occasionally fallen into the snobbish, exclusivist sort of mindset that enspired it, particularly when thinking about myself and my own abilities, and that's what concerns me with being positive about myself.

thanks Mike, to be honest for me it's not the sake of guilty self-indulgence, more in terms of apathy and lack of motivation and energy. I can't even read or play anything which is emotionally charged, on my bad days, which includes watching most films, and anytthing but purely logic based computer games (sinse usually I'm in it for the exploration). And what makes me most furious with myself is lack of ability to get things done, ----- particularly in terms of creative energy. Lack of ability to write (either academically or for pleasure), try anything new or do anything.

If I do indulge in terms of getting a take away, that's usually more for convenience, and while I do put on some weight it's more for the reason of lack of exercise, than for actually what I'm eating.

My one serious addiction, coco, is actually the most harmless form of indulgence possible, sinse I use incredibly high coco content chocolate which means A, I need less of it to get the effect, and B, it's actually not bad for me at all.

#264468 - 11/30/08 09:54 AM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: dark empathy]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dark-E,

Real quick thought here. The intellectual snobbery bit, I understand your concern. I have a long and convoluted past in trying to deal with my issues, and anyway there is stuff there I can relate to.

One thing is, I don't think all intellectual opinions and what not need to be seen as snobbery, but I think you are right that it can at times lead in that direction given the right conditions. Think about this though; when it is done in such a way I think it serves as a defense and coping mechanism for the individual. That doesn't make the person bad (hey, I've been there), but if you think about it it makes some sense that it can serve that purpose at times. That isn't the same as being truly positive. And if you feel positive about things, it is also okay to then maybe the next day to feel negative about things. Life is full of a lot of emotions, and that is alright. I think we just don't want to get stuck in some of the more painful ones, but learn that see them for what they are and to let them pass (of course they always seem to have that nasty habit of wanting to come around again, but hey what are you going to do?? Let them pass again!!).

Take care,
Eric

#264470 - 11/30/08 10:15 AM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: ericc]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

True Eric, I suppose it's just that being at a fairly serious university I run into a fair few such people and such opinions, and often they are tied very much to how people are treated.

I was once very shocked at myself when someone started chatting to me on a train and when he said he was a lorry driver my first thought was "oh dear, and I've got to sit next to this person for the next hour?"

As it turned out he had some incredibly interesting views on things and was actually amazingly well read, i was just shocked at that incredibly unpleasant reaction in myself.

One point that I have experienced though, is that the people I most respect in terms of opinions, don't tend to have that dismissive streak, and tend to have a very practical and realistic view of ethics, combined with a respect for people, ---- my tutor is one for instance which is another reason i hate lack of creative energy and ability to work on my Phd, because it feels as if I'm letting him down.

The reason this is tied to positive opinions about myself is that any time I try and evaluate my own abilities in a positive light, it feels as if I'm becoming incredibly self-obsessed. I can quite freely talk about what I'm bad at, ---- but talking positively feels far worse.

thanks for the sympathy and for going along with all my rambling in this topic.

Luke.

#264501 - 11/30/08 03:29 PM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: dark empathy]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK

#264511 - 11/30/08 05:23 PM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: steveb121]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks steve, and I'm sorry to everyone for dumping things here.

As to weather, my carefully considdered opinion, evaluating all factors, extrapolating from observed data and formulating a hypothesis based upon current knolidge of the science of meteorology and climatology, is that it is bloody freezing!

We're talking frost, snow, and either death by broken ancles and/or frostbite, andd/or yetti attacks as a major factor to be considdered if traveling everywhere. Luckily I have an upstairs flat which is both easy to heat and extremely warm, which helps.

Take care Steve.

#264515 - 11/30/08 05:36 PM Re: Worthlessness and self-recrimination [Re: dark empathy]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.