Newest Members
Hank2, Severe stammer, Jeff B., Aquarian, synthguy
12837 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rolling_is_life (29), tjh (25), tommyb (33)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12837 Members
75 Forums
66348 Topics
463601 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#264444 - 11/29/08 11:29 PM Re: Avatars [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline

Loc: UK
i also liked playing on sand dunes alot, and there is plenty of sand in Egypt smile

"...until lambs become lions"

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#264446 - 11/29/08 11:40 PM Re: Avatars [Re: king tut]
pufferfish Offline

Loc: USA
Hello All,

I tried various avatars for a bunch of months. Most of them were pictures of me as a boy. Then I went to Winnie the Pooh's Eeyore because I tend to be a bit moody sometimes. Then I used the picture of Will in Son of Rambo because it expressed an adventuresomeness that I would have liked in my life. Then I tried the baby Einstein theme. At that time the Policy on Avatars came out and I felt I had to change it.

Now I am using a cartoon of a small boy trying a special pair of glasses. He is obviously searching or studiying something. They might be the type of glasses that you use to see 3-D in the movies. It expresses my nature of searching, trying, analyzing. Trying to understand. It shows the inner child aspect which has been so real to me.

pufferfish whistle

#264448 - 11/29/08 11:47 PM Re: Avatars [Re: michael banks]
Sans Logos Offline

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
well i guess mine kinda speaks for itself, so i will spare you the lengthy explanation....aren't you glad???? whistle

1. the past
  2. ReClaiming Now
  3. advocacy

#264449 - 11/29/08 11:47 PM Re: Avatars [Re: Roofus]
joelRT Offline

Loc: Québec, Canada
Allen, I'm listening.....

My Story 1
My Story 2
The longest journey we take is to self-discovery

#264450 - 11/30/08 12:16 AM Re: Avatars [Re: king tut]
ptb Offline

Loc: NJ
PTBartman is a name I came up with ages ago for my "on line" presence. I've also use it as a pen name/performance name. I prefer to my "given" nam because tat was givento me by m dadbuser. It's a combination of homage to P.T Barnum d my real first name (try growing up (pre Simpsons)with a name that rhymes with fart).

My avatar is an old friend. When I was growing up I spent a ot of time isolated in my room by my parents so my radio became like a friend. That "big note" was a logo that WABC AM used in the 70s.

Here's a better explaation of what radio meant to me that I posed in another thread...

I was this kid see...

Growing up in Hunterdon County NJ. My Childhood wasn't easy, I was Special needs in th early 70's before it was cool.

According to my father, I was just stupid and lazy. You see I was also physically and emotionally abused.

One of the old man's tactics was to alienate me from my peers, my family, teachers, anyone who would show interest in me. If that didn't work. He'd keep telling me they didn't really like me, they just tolerated me. They weren't laughing with they were laughing at me.

And I believed him.

So I found friends who loved me just like I was.

I found heroes who lived in a little magic box I kept by my bed.

My Fantastic Four.

The Wolfman, The Storyteller, The Jokester and Captain Grumpy.

They had hundreds and hundreds of Cohorts, always willing to lend a hand. Play me a song when I was down. Tell me a joke when I needed a laugh.

But they were my favorites.

The Storyteller (Jean Shepherd) told me my bed time story.

The Wolfman (Wolfman Jack) protected me while I waited for the Sandman. And If I got an unwanted visitor at night he comforted me till I calmed down.

Captain Grumpy (Don Imus) Woke me up and made sure I left for school with a smile on my face.

Which leaves "The Jokester"

School was never easy for me. I have ADD and Apsergers Syndrome plus severe neurological trauma from a childhood accident. Nobody knew anything about any of this back then.

There were days when I'd come home so miserable that i didn't want to do anything but lie on my bed and cry.

Those were the days I'd get home grab my transistor radio and my dog and go hide in the woods.

And the Jokester would be there playing just the right song. Making me laugh. Making me forget my problems and even if only for a couple of hours forget everything.

So many of my childhood memories have a WABC soundtrack.

It Was Dan Ingram who taught me to laugh. My love of puns and double entendres came out of a little tinny speaker powered by a 9 volt battery.

Some day I hope our paths will cross and I'll be able to say Thank you.

(I had posted this on a radio Message board and I got an e-mail back from Dan Ingram's son thanking me,so I guess our paths did cross)

So what becomes of all the little boys,
Who run away from home,
Well the world just keeps gettin' bigger,
Once you get out on your own,
So here's to all the little boys,
The sandman takes you where,
You'll be sleepin' with a pillowman,
On the nickel over there.

#264452 - 11/30/08 12:17 AM Re: Avatars [Re: joelRT]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
Loc: Denver, CO
Mine is a drawing of myself Bloom County style, done by a coworker several years ago.

Money talks, but all it tells me is goodbye.

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#264455 - 11/30/08 12:45 AM Re: Avatars [Re: michael banks]
joelRT Offline

Loc: Québec, Canada
When I first found MS my avatar depicted a long and climbing country road at the end of which was a rising sun.

It was so very representative of how I was feeling at that time in my recovery. I could see in my minds eye how very much more work I still had to do (hence the long road) in order to reach my goal of leaving the darkness behind and to break out into the sunshine. A sunshine that I was blessed to always be able to see off in the distance.

Yet it seemed that the more I walked on that clearly defined road, the longer and steeper it got - oh, I could still see the sunshine, but somehow I was never getting any closer to it no matter how many steps I took.

And then, suddenly, I reached a mile marker by the side of the road that I had not seen until I was right on top of it. There was a note tacked to that marker post and it was just sort of flapping in the breeze. As I got closer, I was surprised to see that the note was addressed to me. It said:

Welcome Joël, to the club of men. You have assuredly shown courage and determination in reaching your goal but most importantly, what has brought you to this juncture is that you humbled yourself before strangers placing your trust in their innate goodness, you opened your heart, revealed your soul and admited that you needed help to become well and whole.You've been embraced, you are loved, you are respected by men who have been able to see into the real you and to like you for what they see. Through your brothers in recovery and in large part due to them, you've become the man your mother said you could never be.

That's when my avatar changed to what it is now, a man-boy on top of the world, jumping with all the vigour in his youthfull heart in spite of his old and weary bones. A new day is rising - I can finally feel the warmth of that sun I chased after for so long.

Of course Utopia is not a reality and I will now have to begin the long descent from the top of the world and for the very first time take my rightfull place amongst the living in the valley below. There is work to be accomplished there for the common good of all - I'm ready to get my hands dirty ( Ijust hope I don't break a nail).

Edited by joelRT (11/30/08 10:25 AM)
Edit Reason: still catn' tepy
My Story 1
My Story 2
The longest journey we take is to self-discovery

#265137 - 12/04/08 01:54 AM Re: Avatars [Re: joelRT]
Nyjah Offline

I love skating. I've been skating ever since I could remember.

#265159 - 12/04/08 04:58 AM Re: Avatars [Re: king tut]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus

Loc: Carlisle, PA

What a cool idea! Okay, well, for a very long time I had no avatar at all. My screen name "roadrunner" comes from - you guessed it - the Warner Brothers cartoon, which was my favorite as a kid; I still fall into gales of laughter over those cartoons, even though I have seen them all many times.

This is especially relevant to my recovery because when I was a boy I would sit on the floor watching cartoons, and my little sister would come into the room and flop into my lap to watch them with me. It was just an automatic thing. She would come in and I would make a lap for her and hold her close while we watched. If it was a cold day I would pull a blanket around us and we would sit there all toasty warm.

By the time I was 12 things with the abuser were getting really bad and I had been to the brink of suicide twice. One reason I decided not to finish it all was that if I were gone my little sister would have no lap to sit in on Saturday mornings.

In 2006 I fell seriously ill and was off the site for some months. When I returned Alan/Hauser gave me a welcome-back present of a roadrunner avatar. I thought okay, cool, and he helped me install it. Then when I hit 10,000 posts the ModTeam went into my profile and animated the roadrunner. I logged on the next day and there was Roadrunner tearing up the highway on my screen. What a treat for Little Larry! laugh

Much love,

Nobody living can ever stop me
As I go walking my freedom highway.
Nobody living can make me turn back:
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#265166 - 12/04/08 07:18 AM Re: Avatars [Re: roadrunner]
mapleleafsn Offline

Loc: Eastern Canada
mine is the "Never Give Up" depiction of a frog trying to stop a herron from swallowing him by sqeezing the birds throat.

I feel that this is where I am in my journey. I have had many stumbles and trials as I seek to restore what was lost many years ago. With the help of very kind and unjudgemental people to encourage me and lift me when I fall I will continue as long as it takes to be content in this life

When the pain of remaining the same finally outweighs the pain of change---things will begin.... life is meant to be enjoyed not endured.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.