Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63563 Topics
444114 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#264407 - 11/29/08 08:46 PM Avatars
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
The other day I noticed that another member had changed his avatar and does it from time to time.
So I was looking at mine and started wondering what messages that we sent out to each other.
By the choice of our own avatars and the name we choice to be called by here at M/S.
It is amazing to me how inventive the human race is in it's ability to find ways of comunicating with each other in nonverbal ways.

I was looking at my name and avatar. Reflecting on why I chose them to represent me as my face for M/S and all the members here.

The name is easy because it is my real name.
I use it because I have nothing to hide or to be a shamed of.
I was taught in AA that I had to come to terms with both the good and bad about myself and what had happened to me. To learn to accepted and love myself as I truely am. Not as I pretended to be for myself and others. To take responsibility the choices and actions that I had made in my life that I had regreted or felt ashamed of. Because without self-acceptance there cannot be any real or meaningful healing in my life.

My avatar represents the journey of my life both as a child being abused and as an adult in recovery.

The desert represents the abuse and neglect and loniliness of life that I endured as a child. It also represents the struggle, pain and harshness of my recovery. To recovery we have to travel thought our own personal Death Valley.

The boy,for that is what I see riding the camel is that lost hurting, lonely boy who I had been for so long.

The camel repersents God and the people who have helped carry me on my journey of recovery. Those who have helped carry my burden of pain and shame.

The sun repersents- Yesterday as a child the setting sun and the bleak and dark world that I lived in as a child.
The rising sun today, The light and hope of recovery as I deal with the effects of my abuse. Coming into the light of healing and hope of a better future.

As he looks out into the distance he sees the oasis of his salvation in front of him.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#264411 - 11/29/08 09:11 PM Re: Avatars [Re: michael banks]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I don't know to much about about avatars. I'm kinda limited on my computer skills.

What I do know is that I relate to the eagle spirit and everything it represents. One of these days I'll be looking to go...

Where Eagles Dare.

island

#264415 - 11/29/08 09:22 PM Re: Avatars [Re: 1islandboy]
michael banks Offline

Island,

I understand, had to have my granddaughter help to show me (or should I say have her put it in place)for me.
Seven months ago I didn't even own a computer.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#264416 - 11/29/08 09:23 PM Re: Avatars [Re: 1islandboy]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thanks, Michael, for sharing that about your avatar - very cool, indeed.

I like French Impressionism, hence my current avatar. Monet knew no equal, IMO.

#264421 - 11/29/08 09:32 PM Re: Avatars [Re: EGL]
michael banks Offline

Eddie,

Very beautiful indeed.
I don't know much about prainters or paintings.
Now I know a little more than I did.

Thank You.

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#264423 - 11/29/08 09:42 PM Re: Avatars [Re: michael banks]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mike,

I like your avatar, among other things, it always makes me think of heading east on 58 up over the mountain and into the desert.

:-)

Dave

#264424 - 11/29/08 09:49 PM Re: Avatars [Re: ttoon]
michael banks Offline

Dave,

I live about 35 miles south of the 58 off of the 395.
I take the 58 often going to Bakersfield or Fresno for my work.

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#264428 - 11/29/08 10:07 PM Re: Avatars [Re: michael banks]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mike,

What a cool idea for a thread. I also like the symbolism you attach to your choice of avatar.

When I first came to the site one of the things that really spoke to me was the Logo character of the boy, first looking down, and as realization and healing happens he begins to look up. That was me growing up. Always looking at the ground. Shame brought that into my life and the recovery journey has taught me that I can indeed look up, and do it with pride.

John

#264437 - 11/29/08 10:51 PM Re: Avatars [Re: WalkingSouth]
Roofus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Utah
When I first came here I presented an avatar that represented what my heart was feeling at the time. It was not the best avatar to have chosen.

The one I have now is representative of my life in many different aspects... I would like to share it with people some time if you're interested.

Allen

#264443 - 11/29/08 11:28 PM Re: Avatars [Re: Roofus]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
my name king tut refers to tutankhamun, the pharaoh, the boy king, because when i was younger i loved ancient Egypt, and i always wanted to be that boy king, i loved that idea, i still do, and i don't know i love Egypt and all the magic i think it has, and the mysteries, and the wider world, and adventure! and travel, and nice things, and i wanted to be an archaeologist and dicover things, and being able to make decisions, a boy with choices, a boy with power, i wanted that, and being loved and respected, that's what it is. I'm going to go to Egypt it's one of my ambitions. i love ancient egyptian civilisation, its character is dependent on your imagination more than anything else, it says alot about the world, and lots of people say lots about it.

my lack of picture at the moment is because i am in limbo. crossroads? it's more like a spaghetti junction

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.