Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63105 Topics
441302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26411 - 03/05/05 05:28 AM Repressed memories...
Whicker Offline

Loc: Pastures of Oregon
Yet another good link from a different support site I visit-

http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/lof93.htm

I hope it is helpful to someone here.

Whicker

#26412 - 03/05/05 10:58 AM Re: Repressed memories...
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
With apologies to Whicker, I urge all who are dealing with repressed memories NOT to read the report he has suggested without first talking to your therapist or someone who is quite knoledgable about the subject of repressed memories. What is written here can be very disturbing to you. It is a scientific document and should not be read without someone present who knows how to interpret what is written.

One of my therapists, after a couple of years of therapy during which we discussed repressed memories suggested that I read: PSYCHOLOGY, PUBILIC POLICY, AND LAW, Volume 4, Number 4, December 1998: Final Report of the American Psycholigical Association Working Group on Investigation of Memories of Childhood Abuse.

In this publication which, believe me, for one such as I, is not easy reading, basically two groups comment on repressed memories from opposite sides of the proposition. Judith L. Alpert, Laura S. Brown and Christine A. Courtois are the "yeas" and Peter A. Ornstein, Stephen J. Ceci, and Elizabeth F. Loftus are the "nays". Now, that said....this is an amazing over-simplification of the material. However, to read one half of this agrument without also reading the other half could be very damaging.

I urge you NOT to read this suggested report alone, but with someone who can help you understand it. Bobby

#26413 - 03/05/05 12:26 PM Re: Repressed memories...
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
Some times, too much information is a bad thing.

The REAL work of Healing takes place within you, not within the pages of a book.

Reading up on the ISSUE from every viewpoint, does not equate comfort, contentment or understanding.

The belief that Knowledge will set u free, can instead trap you within its million possibilities.

As helpful as books/articles on the subject of CSA/SA can be, they can give you the deep Healing you need. People's bad judgement (Perps) got us into this mess, People's Good judgement (Therapist's) will get us out.

#26414 - 03/05/05 05:20 PM Re: Repressed memories...
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
I find this to be a very interesting article that does indeed raise questions. It does not, however delve too much into real repressed memories that she does admit does occur but does not document to any extent. It seems to me to be a very one-sided article written by a professional who's work is sometimes in the Department of Criminology, Law, and Society, University of California as her home page states. I have not verified this.

Here is her home page de>

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#26415 - 03/05/05 06:41 PM Re: Repressed memories...
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
The other day I was Price of Tides again and realised that why I dont have any happy memories of my childhood. The weight of abuse pushed everything down. And so I concluded that my parents didnt love me.

Further, I subconsciously blamed them for not protecting me and negated them completely from my memory.

I just have photographs of my birthday parties but no memories. I only recall the bad moments, the pain. As I was looking at my life thru a dark lense. I could not perceive joy or love.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

#26416 - 03/06/05 12:26 PM Re: Repressed memories...
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Having DID, I don't consider my memories 'repressed', what is not right in the open for me. I consider them 'shared'. Because I know that at least one 'other' of me has memories that I, as myself, do not recall. I just try to keep faith that some day, I will.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#26417 - 03/07/05 12:32 AM Re: Repressed memories...
willtobecomplete Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: IL
There is a ton of information on reppressed Memories on the site http://www.jimhopper.com . It contains an objective analyis of all the studies and psycologists on the subject. Very well done! He has a section on the above mentioned psycoligist and her so called "studies". Afer reading it becomes obvious that her agenda is political rather than theraputic.

#26418 - 03/07/05 12:43 AM Re: Repressed memories...
grendyl Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: US West Coast
http://www.jimhopper.com/memory/#el

Thanks, his notes on her are informative. She does seem like this has become a weird personal crusade for her from reading her article, rather than psychological study.

#26419 - 03/08/05 05:44 PM Re: Repressed memories...
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Quote:
We all go for therapy and to Pdocs and search for a place like this for one reason and one reason only. Our lives are so screwed up we reach out to make sense of it all and admit that we need help. And that is what we get. Help through the minefield that is our brain.
The temptation is strong to have somebody else tell us what in our heads is real and what isn't, but I agree that it's really down to each of us to figure that out.

In my experience, I know I can't trust a memory I attribute to myself when I was between 4 and 6. When he was 3 or so, my nephew was in the back seat when his parents had a car wreck. A few months later, he was riding in my truck, and he asked what the key was for on the dash of his passenger side. I told him it's the key to turn off the air bag over there. Then I thought, he doesn't know what an air bag is, so I tried to explain it to him in 3-year-old speak. I told him it's a giant pillow that pops out if the car wrecks to keep your head safe. Another month went by and he told me about this car wreck he had been in with his parents in their "red car" and this giant pillow came and kept him safe. There weren't any airbags in that car.

On the flip side, I have strong attachments to my grandfather on my mom's side. I remember doing things with him, him teaching me to whistle. I loved him. He was my hero. And to this day, I have a gut connection to him. He died when I was 6. I have a contrasting gut hatred for my uncle, my dad, my grandfather on my dad's side. The only thing I know for a fact is that my mom came home one night from school and found me covered with bruises after she'd left me with my dad. When we're really young, I believe we learn things like trust, not trusting, emotional attachments, and fear. And of course, I do remember things like MB and other acting out that was certainly not appropriate for a young boy that was home schooled--no contact with the outside world. I have to sort out my own history. I believe my gut instincts, and I believe the symptems. Throw in a large dose of dissociation, trying to forget so the evils don't show in my face, and I do believe in repressed memories.

I've always appreciated Jim Hopper's site. It was the life stories on his Hope page that really helped me start confronting my past. Sexually Abused Males--Giving and Receiving Guidance and Hope by Jim Hopper, Ph.D.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#26420 - 03/08/05 11:42 PM Re: Repressed memories...
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Loftus is somewhat controversial, and the 'experts' seem to be either against or for her theories. There doesn't seem to be much mid-way views as far as recovered memories are concerned.

Elizabeth Loftus is hugely respected though, and probably someone who's ideas shouldn't be dismissed lightly, even if like myself I have trouble with agreeing with much of what she says.

I would agree with the previous guys who said "don't just read this, read the other side as well"
Jim Hopper seems to make more sense, but that's just my opinion.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.