Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
5 registered (pattom, Bluedogone, 3 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63569 Topics
444139 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#181166 - 09/19/07 09:47 AM Namaste - A Beautiful Word
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I just love the word 'Namaste' and everything it means. I saw it posted on a topic today and it just made me smile. When I first heard it several years ago, I had to find out what it meant. So I did a little research and thought I would share - although you may already know - what I found. This is from my scrapbook.

NAMASTE

Namaste is a composite of the two Sanskrit words, nama, and te. Te means you, and nama has the following connotations:

To bend
To bow
To sink
To incline
To stoop

All these suggestions point to a sense of submitting oneself to another, with complete humility. Significantly the word 'nama' has parallels in other ancient languages also. It is cognate with the Greek nemo, nemos and nosmos; to the Latin nemus, the Old Saxon niman, and the German neman and nehman. All these expressions have the general sense of obeisance, homage and veneration. Also important here is to note that the root 'nama' is a neuter one, the significance of which will be elaborated upon later.

The word nama is split into two, na and ma. Na signifies negation and ma represents mine. The meaning would then be 'not mine'. The import being that the individual soul belongs entirely to the Supreme soul, which is identified as residing in the individual towards whom the namaste is directed. Indeed there is nothing that the soul can claim as its own. Namaste is thus the necessary rejection of 'I' and the associated phenomena of egotism. It is said that 'ma' in nama means death (spiritual), and when this is negated (na-ma), it signifies immortality.

The whole action of namaste unfolds itself at three levels: mental, physical, and verbal.

It starts with a mental submission. This submission is in the spirit of total surrender of the self. This is parallel to the devotion one expresses before a chosen deity, also known as bhakti. The devotee who thus venerates with complete self-surrender is believed to partake the merits or qualities of the person or deity before whom he performs this submission. There is a pre>

Edited by kellygtx (09/19/07 02:33 PM)

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#181489 - 09/20/07 10:08 PM Re: Namaste - A Beautiful Word [Re: kellygtx]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
I started practicing yoga 3 years ago... and the bow at the end of the practice, thanking our body for the practice and those around us, is the perfect end to a wonderful experience... and now, I have so much knowledge of it's origins and meanings, Kelly, it will be ale more special.

Namaste,
Dan

Marge Simpson

#181670 - 09/21/07 10:23 PM Re: Namaste - A Beautiful Word [Re: dannym]
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
My wife and I just started yoga classes at the local high school continuing ed. We have on had 2 classes. We Love it!!

#215408 - 04/04/08 06:31 PM Re: Namaste - A Beautiful Word [Re: kellygtx]
aleph Offline
New Here

Loc: Victoria, BC
this is an old topic... but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth...

Albert Einstein was facsinated by Mohandas Gandhi. He watched newsreel after newsreel of Gandhi's doings in India. having seen Gandhi greet people in the street with his hands placed together, as if in prayer, and with a bow, he wondered what Gandhi was saying (newsreels had no sound in those days). Einstein wrote Gandhi and asked him what he was saying. The simple reply: "Namaste." Einstein then wrote again to ask the meaning of this hindu word, "Namaste", and the reply was: "I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the place in you of light, love, truth, peace and wisdom. I honor the place in you where, when you are in that place, and I am in that place, there is only one of us."

#264066 - 11/27/08 05:10 PM Re: Namaste - A Beautiful Word [Re: aleph]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
thanks for information it was very inlightning

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.