Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
7 registered (Nothing Man, learning2remember, Seekingwisdom, sorryson, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447711 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#264037 - 11/27/08 01:00 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pluckmemory]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: pluckmemory
In the case of Dr William Ayres, it now turns out that many of his colleagues suspected he was molesting boys and didn't report him.

A few years ago I read of a physician who kept records in his patient's files of the length of their erect penis. He was found out. After many years. I think I read this in a major news magazine. I probably have the clipping of the article somewhere in my files.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#264055 - 11/27/08 03:48 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pufferfish]
pluckmemory Offline

Please post the link or source of story if you find it. Thanks!

#267668 - 12/18/08 09:02 AM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: JustScott]
pluckmemory Offline

Ayres' pre-trial hearing is set for December 23, 2008. He was arrested in April 2007. It's time to get the show on the road. The victims need to have their day in court.

#268411 - 12/23/08 07:42 AM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: JustScott]
pluckmemory Offline

New story today on families and victims who are frustrated with delays in Ayres trial:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_11291103

Some of us will be attending today's hearing and will report back here.

#268457 - 12/23/08 03:04 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: JustScott]
pluckmemory Offline

New trial date, May 11, 2009, 8:30 am
Here's a victim's perspective on the Ayres hearing today:

www.williamayreswatch.blogspot.com

Our perspective is that Ayres and his lawyer looked neither confident nor cocky. Rather, it was prosecutor Melissa McKowan who looked powerful and confident, because she knows she's got a winning case

Weinberg, Ayres' lawyer looks like he wishes the case would just go away..

Fortunately, he did not roll his eyes or make faces when the judge gave a trial date, as he has been known to do in the Spector trial when a ruling doesn't go his way - so much so that he has been admonished several times by Judge Fidler.

It's astonishing how diminished Ayres seems, now that he can't hide behind his medical license.. At one point, when he smiled and waved at the judge, he acted like a boy who's been caught.

#268908 - 12/27/08 09:05 AM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

Second news story, quoting another victim who says that even if Dr. Ayres goes to prison, it won't make him feel better.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/ci_11298249

I would like to hear from other victims here whose perpetrator has gone to prison. Did it ease your anguish at all?

#270699 - 01/10/09 03:28 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

How do you get a victim who was molested by a child psychiatrist to trust a therapist as an adult? I am acquainted with several of Ayres' victims, and to a man they won't even entertain the thought of going near a shrink again. Can one blame them for not trusting those in the therapeutic profession, and -in some cases - even despising them ? I see this as a very unusual and thorny problem for these victims. I know that men who were molested as priests have just as much trouble trusting people in authority, but I am wondering if they might not be just a tad more willing to try to trust a therapist. With the Ayres victims- forget about it.

The sad thing is that there are many good psychiatrists out there who would like to treat them and who could help them.

#270702 - 01/10/09 04:17 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pluckmemory]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

How do you get a victim who was molested by a child psychiatrist to trust a therapist as an adult? I am acquainted with several of Ayres' victims, and to a man they won't even entertain the thought of going near a shrink again.

pluckmemory,

I suppose I shouldn't be glib about this. I was molested badly in the boy scouts. For a long time, when I would drive past the scout headquarters here I would break out in anger and tears. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with the scouts. Seeing as scout in uniform on the street can still give me flashbacks.

BUT, the question of therapists is different. There are good therapists. In fact, I would recommend that anybody check out a therapist before seeing them. We can get recommendations from others. Get 3 good recommendations before seeing one. Also, a person can often arrange a preliminary interview.

Another approach is to see a clinical psychologist. Here again, check references and reputation. But they are usually less expensive and they are often more people oriented. They don't have the "stigma" of being a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist has to have a medical degree as well as a specialty degree. This makes them rare and expensive. It also often means that they are often eccentric. Often a psychiatrist today specializes in prescribing meds and doesn't do much actual counseling. A clinical psychologist on the other hand has a very different kind of training. They are often more human and understanding. They can't prescribe meds and so their realm is in counseling.

When I first embarked in my healing journey, I saw a psychiatrist who had written a well-known book in his field. He yawned at me when I was giving my story. I never saw him again. But the clinical psychologists have been uniformly good.

And it might be added that there are others who can counsel. Some of them are quite good. But watch out here. There are rabbis and pastors and ministers who can counsel. I have found that a pastor who is a great preacher is almost invariably a poor counselor. They require different skill sets. And of course some of these have also abused. That is the tragedy.

Allen

pufferfish

#270704 - 01/10/09 04:47 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pufferfish]
pluckmemory Offline

Thanks Allen. As I said, I am acquainted with many of the Ayres victims, though I am not one of them. I was molested as a child by someone else - but not by a therapist. I have a wonderful psychiatrist who has restored my soul.

That said,I know that many of the Ayres victims are in terrible turmoil but refuse to see psychiatrists, social workers, counselors, etc. (they know the difference between them) I think it's a tragedy that Ayres has ruined all shrinks for them..
It is a very unique and tragic situation and no one seems to know about helping them to gain their trust in therapists. If I'd been molested by a therapist, I am sure I would have trouble returning to one as an adult.

You were molested by a Scout leader, but as an adult you wouldn't go to one for therapy.. The victims of Ayres are in a terrible bind because a shrink molested them. Does this make sense? How would they go about making the leap of faith in therapy when it was therapy that betrayed them in the first place?

#270711 - 01/10/09 06:07 PM Re: Child Psychiatrist Arrested for Molesting Pati [Re: pluckmemory]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

The victims of Ayres are in a terrible bind because a shrink molested them. Does this make sense? How would they go about making the leap of faith in therapy when it was therapy that betrayed them in the first place?

Yes, sadly, it makes sense.

Allen

pufferfish

Page 5 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.