Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (petercorbett), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63793 Topics
445487 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#262961 - 11/20/08 09:45 PM Surgery set
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
Still not looking forward to this, but it has now been finally scheduled for the second week in December. Merry Christmas and all that crap!

At least it will be on a Friday so I shouldn't miss more than that day of work!

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#262969 - 11/20/08 11:29 PM Re: Surgery set [Re: Tinman]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
99% says that by the following Monday it won't bother you, except for the memories of drinking the Go-Lytley and spending lots of time in the john after that. Ask for their cherry flavor if they are out of banana. Anything is better than their unflavored variety. Do you have someone to drive you home after the operation is over?

It is a good thing to get this done in the case that there is anything wrong.

Mark

#262971 - 11/20/08 11:53 PM Re: Surgery set [Re: Trucker51]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Paul,

My sincere good wishes go with you to your surgery. I will be thinking about you, Paul.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#262973 - 11/21/08 12:07 AM Re: Surgery set [Re: LN3(SS)]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
Good luck, Tinman!

I just recently had a "emergency" major back operation a few weeks back. It was a problem I had been putting off for a couple of years, that my condition became so deplorable, I was hobbling around like a crippled 80 year-old man. I just didn't have the time to devote 6 months of recuperation. Unfortunately, when I collapsed at work a few weeks ago and the paramedics had to come get me and transport me to the hospital, I didn't have the choice of setting aside a time to do it. It had to be done immediately. It turned out that I severed a nerve in my lower back. I've had ongoing nerve and disk problems, but when I couldn't get up off the floor or even move the left side of my body, I knew this was much worse.

Anyway, I had the surgery, spent 5 days in the hospital. I'm home now. I have a nurse who comes for 4-6 hours a day. (I've gone through 3 already because I bust their stones a lot!) I actually just want out of this god damn f#ckin bed! But it's going to take time.

Hope you're out and about easier. Good luck and I hope everything goes well. I'll add you to my prayer list.

Rich

#263085 - 11/22/08 02:19 AM Re: Surgery set [Re: Stretch73]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
you'll be ok pal. I'm sure of it

besides maybe you can look forward to when is over and have the cool buzz from all the sedatives. I'm pretty sure they give them to you.

take care and try not to let it worry you. when I feel something ominous pending on the horizon, I try to imagine that for that period of time there will be a lapse of time so that i don't have to stew over it. I kind of think of the time between now and the problem and skip the problem or obstacle and think about the time relating to just after the obstacle. sort of mentally sew the two seams of time together minus the obstacle, that way its doesn't worry me that much. Give it a shot, maybe it will work for you too.

Logan

-Blade Runner

#263089 - 11/22/08 03:45 AM Re: Surgery set [Re: Tinman]
petercorbett Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, Tinmam, my best wishes to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Heal well on both fronts my friend.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#263171 - 11/22/08 03:01 PM Re: Surgery set [Re: petercorbett]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
I think Mark missed it, but thanks anyway.

What I am freaking out over is that someone is going to cut me and make me bleed. Like my dad did.

I know it's not the same. Part of my mind knows that and that there will be other people there. And it won't happen the way it did so long ago.

But unlike back then, I will be unconcious. How will I know? Somebody could do something and I couldn't fight back.

I know that sounds crazy. These are professionals. But this is something that defies logic. I have been able and willing to fight anyone who ever tried to hurt me since then. But I am having to give up control and strength.

Sorry, I know this doesn't make sense. I have tried to explain it the best I can.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#263297 - 11/22/08 10:49 PM Re: Surgery set [Re: Tinman]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Paul,

Perhaps it will help to look at the big difference between what what the surgeon will do and what your dad did. Whatever the surgeon does he will do in order to help you, and according to his professional training and with a host of other staff present to assist and advise.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#263328 - 11/23/08 12:48 AM Re: Surgery set [Re: roadrunner]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Paul,

That does NOT sound crazy at all!!!

I Freaked out when I had a dentist apt about a year ago. Larry gave me some really good and sound advice and it helped me tremendously.

The post is in the health and well being forum, I think.

Maybe, you could somehow voice some of your concerns to the doctors. Not go into explicit detail, but say something like you had rough past and you are extremely uncomfortable with the idea of the procedure.

I remember when I went to the dentist, I had been fearing it for weeks. Larry told me what he did, and make sure that one advocates for themselves. I remember telling the dentist that I had a fear of being in the office and the position i was sitting in and that I had PTSD and trauma from my past. He asked if it was because I had a bad experience at the dentist before. I told him no; that it was because "I am a survivor of......." I couldn't get myself to actually speak the words " Sexually abuse" so instead I said that I "was molested when I was a kid." and I left it at that and he said that it was not a problem and to let him know if there was anything he could do to help me stay as comfortable as possible and he would do what he could. I asked him to tell me what he was going to do before he did it so that I wouldn't get panicked or feel a loss of control. He thanked me for being honest will him and said he appreciates when patients voice their concerns so that he can try and alleviate or assuage the fear some what.
when i left the dentist that day I felt proud for saying it out loud-first time in my life besides to a therapist.
sorry for making this so long, I got interrupted a few times will writing this-

Hope this helped, even if just a little bit.

Logan

-Blade Runner

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.