Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (MG5555, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64202 Topics
448037 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263582 - 11/24/08 11:52 AM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: AndyJB2005]
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
The problem with "mob justice" is that maybe that guy was a pedophile, but i wonder a person is found gulty and he was not...(look at all the people set free today by dna that was not available when they were convivted) again, the person was innocent but found guilty and still the mob wants his head...that would be terrible...we need to do better...compassion and understanding and also knowing that we cant judge about something we dont know...
Rich in spite of all my concerns about the presence of a pedophile neighbor I salute you for your bravery in what you did!!!!!!!!!

#263645 - 11/24/08 07:25 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: sunwolf]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Rich,

My hat goes off to you for standing up in what you feel is right an just. The mod is a powerful force as many can be seduced by it's power, immediate exceptions, and freedom from personal responsibility. You stood up an correctly stated that he has served his time an does have a right to live his life. What I always find interesting is that by a community acting this way, they are directly increasing the likelihood that he will re-offend.

Nathan

#263697 - 11/25/08 07:14 AM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: Nathan LaChine]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
I agree with the likelihood of a person re-offending because of something like this, Nathan.

I find it also very interesting to read of law makers, and elected officials, and judges, and citizens screaming for the death penalty, (Another topic that was discussed here a few months back) for the first offense for those who would rape a child. While I believe a person such as that doesn't deserve to be walking around with the same freedoms and breathing the same oxygen as the rest of us, I cannot support the death penetaly for a number of reasons.

1)Those perpetrators who would otherwise rape and leave a child somewhere, would be more likely to murder that child to elimate potential prosecution, by covering up the evidence. Not a good thing, of course!

2)The death penalty is racially, sexually, ethically, economically and culturally biased, and even after all that, it has the potential of making a "fatal" mistake.

3)And finally, I still hang on to the glimmer of hope that people can change, thus I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

Now, I don't know where these ideals rank me in "societal morality," but I know that we just can't pluck along witht he idea that we can euthinize these people. I think a better solution is research, and some effective studies to tell us why people do this and what can we do to stop it. You commit 10 pedophiles to death today, I assure you, you're going to have 100,000 more to deal with. Are we ready for that?

Rich

#263715 - 11/25/08 10:39 AM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: Stretch73]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm with you, Stretch. Right on. Even prison without the death penalty is ineffective in dealing with pedophiles.

I think there should be a treatment center/program for these people during their incarceration -- and until they meet certain criteria, they are living in there.

For example completing the program to the psychologist's guidelines, etc.

But then people cry foul because they don't want to spent the tax money. It always confuses me when they want one side AND the other. They want perps to stop, but don't want to spend the money on ways for them to stop.

#264471 - 11/30/08 10:35 AM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: Stretch73]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Quote:
according to the record, he has sought help and is currently in therapy for his desires.

This makes a huge difference to me. I would say the same thing Rich. And the mob is just horrible, in that, they believe this one person in their community is the problem. Nobody here wants to REALLY face the truth, and would rather attack blindly.

Maybe you could suggest this guy read a few of the very good books out there in order to BETTER keep kids safe. If he really wants to keep kids safe. Bloodsport seems more like it...

I'm sorry for you Rich.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#264485 - 11/30/08 01:29 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: AndyJB2005]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
I think there should be a treatment center/program for these people during their incarceration -- and until they meet certain criteria, they are living in there.

I don't know about state and local inmate programs, but the Federal Bureau of Prisons has a treatment program for those convicted of offending against children. My wife's brother (sentenced to 15 years for SA against his son from ages 4 to 9 before he was caught sharing the pictures on the internet) is currently in the federal system and required to undergo psych eval and counseling. I've no knowledge whether the criteria for release is a specified level of progress on his psych eval or not. It would be nice if it were that way to be sure but I just don't know.

I can tell you that it's probably a good thing they kept him incarcerated prior to his trial because his arrest came only a couple of weeks after my own realizations of the truths of my childhood and I'd probably have lost control and throttled the guy. I'm not saying that would have been the correct thing to do, but I was in a bad spot.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I agree that the rule of law should prevail as Rich suggests, I also understand at least some of the anger, fear, ignorance, etc. that prevails in a community when a sex offender moves into the neighborhood. Not saying it's right. I believe everyone should use their intellect rather than their emotions when considering these things. That is something far to few people seem to understand the importance of it would seem.

#264496 - 11/30/08 02:39 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Rich,

I applaud you for standing up for the position of reason and sense against the mob - on this question and any other. I'm just sorry you got so much crap for stating at that meeting what everyone needed to hear.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#264497 - 11/30/08 02:56 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
That guy in the meeting treated you badly and you didn't deserve that, that man has issues by the sound of it.

The mob should not rule on things like this. The anger of people is understandable, but the communities actions in this case was disgraceful, the town meeting to sort it out was a good idea, but then every-day people don't know enough about this particular topic to make an informed decision, they just act from emotions, you on the other hand know more about this area and can make a more informed decision, their ignorance is not your fault.

There are some people that i would not tolerate living in my community and i would make sure they are out (i can think of a few cases from the news of people that if i found in my community i would want them out). Recently in my community a holding house- if that's what it's called, was bought by the authorities to house criminals including sexual abusers. It was just a terrace house but it was over-looking a school! so the community launched a petition and they had to withdraw from the area. That is a good way to go about it, but is a slightly different case.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#264503 - 11/30/08 03:55 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: king tut]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Originally Posted By: king tut
Recently in my community a holding house- if that's what it's called, was bought by the authorities to house criminals including sexual abusers. It was just a terrace house but it was over-looking a school! so the community launched a petition and they had to withdraw from the area. That is a good way to go about it, but is a slightly different case.

There's no evidence to suggest living near a school or any place where children congregate increases the likelihood of them abusing more victims. Children are everywhere, and unless we ban sex offenders from planet Earth, we only hurt ourselves by taking away stable things in their lives (ie - their homes, jobs, etc.). It only gives them more reason to re-offend if they feel life is not worth living offense-free.

It's a hard pill to swallow, especially us victims, that we need to treat these people this way -- but it's a reality we must face if we really do strive for no more victims.

#264506 - 11/30/08 04:27 PM Re: Sex Offender - Did I Support Him or The Law? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Unfortunately, the simplistic "solutions" that the public and the politicians want to impose regarding sex offenders are not effective and at times counter-productive. The prohibitions of convicted sex offenders from being out or answering the door on Halloween is one of these "common sense" laws.

Research shows that almost no offenses (at least in the Seattle area where the local DA examined reports of sexual offenses on Halloween for 13 years) take place on that date. Yet, we somehow feel more confident and secure knowing that they will not be passing out candy or going trick-or-treating with their children.

Likewise, restricting where they live, whether a certain distance from schools, day care centers, playgrounds or even bus stops is based on emotion, not looking at the data.

Perhaps, one of these days, politicians will look at research rather than give the public what it thinks will make us feel safer and more secure.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.