Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
5 registered (tbkkfile, Shyshark, bluesky, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441313 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#263049 - 11/21/08 10:31 PM Quit smoking today
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
I quit this morning. It has been 13 hours. I am on the patch and welbutrin. But it is not easy. I keep feeling I have to do something, such as it is time to go out and smoke. I smoked 2 packs a day.

But I am absolutely determined to quit this time. I could use support here for that.

Thanks!

Paul

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#263050 - 11/21/08 10:39 PM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: Tinman]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Wellbutrin is what worked for me. Was having a hard time quitting - but more because of the habit than any nicotine. Dr told me one day "Just vision yourself not smoking." The next day I threw 3/4 of a pack away, after running them under water.

It was 95% mind set - really WANTING to quit. I was never up to 2 packs - pack to pack and a half - but after several months on wellbutrin i was smoking 2 or 3 a day - and some days none. It was just time to make the decision. And the words from my MD made the difference for me.

M

#263084 - 11/22/08 02:05 AM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: MarkK]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
way to go Paul and Mark. I have heard that it is as addictive as crack, don't know if that is true or not.

its been 5 days for me cold turkey, but I don't even wanna smoke considering how scary it felt when I couldn't breath and almost died 6 days ago. I feel too grate full to be alive. Sorry for saying that, I realised that it is probly not helping.

the other time that I quit for 2 years, was when I found something that really helped.
Exercise!!! I'm pretty sure exercise is the antonym to smoking.

hope that helps and stay strong, I'm rooting for you guys.

-Logan

-Blade Runner

#263099 - 11/22/08 07:32 AM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: Logan]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
kicking smoking was difficult. i spent a whole 15 year period of on again off again smoking, then finally quit for 7 years and went back to it for 2.

of course at that point i was more addicted to tyring to quit than i was to actually smoking itself, and realized that the addiction to the process of quitting was eclipsing the the physical addiction itself. so goes the onion.

at any rate, what made it possible for me to quit finally once and for all, was that i was inspired with the idea [thank you angels!] to trade one addiction process with another, a healthy one. so i joined a gym and started working out instead of lighting up.

as it turned out, i was paying as much for the gym membership as i was for cigs, and i was not about to increase my monthly spending budget, so i stuck with it.

miraculously, once the effects and benefits of the cardio exercises started to kick in, the thought label 'i am a smoker' got nipped in the bud, and i realized how much more i liked breathing clean air.

i've heard it said that it takes about 72 hours to get past the first hurdle in recovery from an addiction. then the next is about 30 days, then 60 then 90. so one hurdle at a time. that info worked for me and i hope it helps you get thru the preliminary challenge of quitting.

ron

#263103 - 11/22/08 08:00 AM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: Sans Logos]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
As I sit here with lit cigarette in ashtray I am sooo envious! Congrats to both of you, an you too Ron, I will get there too - eventually.

I only just this year kicked a fifteen year addiction to painkillers - when I feel stronger, then it's the smokes!

#263126 - 11/22/08 10:21 AM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: joelRT]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I quit last April after about 14 years of smoking (since I was 13). I never smoked more than a pack a day (mainly because I've always had to go outside where I've lived/worked, and it's a pain), but those nicotine lozenges (Commit Lozenges) really helped me get over the first few hurdles and not go back after a couple of days. I didn't do their program for fear of just ending up switching to those, but it really helped get past with initial withdrawal.

Also drinking tons of water helped a lot!

Good luck!!

#263240 - 11/22/08 06:56 PM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: AndyJB2005]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Paul,

As a former smoker the only advice I have for is to have patience and forgiveness for yourself. No matter how or what you choose to use to quit smoking. Of all substances that I have kicked smoking was the hardest.
You will find that you do real well for a time. Then for whatever reason and there will be many you will fall off the wagon. So you will have to forgive yourself for your fall and just get back onto the wagon.
I had to do this repeatly for a few years until I got to the point that I no longer had to lite up ever again.
It just takes time so have patience with yourself.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#263281 - 11/22/08 09:19 PM Re: Quit smoking today [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Now you just have to watch what you eat so that you don't gain 40 lbs like I did! I do not recommend the Ronald Reagan/jelly bean method of quitting smoking unless you want to put-on a few extra pounds! Just say NO (more junk food).

Good luck and good riddance,

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.