Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (Going forward, Scott1962, coffeelady, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63552 Topics
444014 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#262952 - 11/20/08 09:27 PM Sheldon Kennedy Interview
ptb Offline

Loc: NJ
Former NHL star bares soul for others
Valerie Fortney, Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, November 06, 2008

On Wednesday morning, Sheldon Kennedy is indulging this Herald writer, giving his first print interview in two years. And, like millions of other North Americans, he's also savouring the victory of the night before, when Barack Obama clinched the presidency of the United States.

While it may seem unusual for a charming puck chaser from Brandon to feel a certain kinship with the first African-American politician to rise to the free world's highest office, the still boyish-looking 39-year-old makes a good, and oftentimes eloquent, case for himself.

In 1996, the former NHL star triggered a seismic reaction in the professional hockey world when he publicly revealed his former hockey coach, Graham James, had sexually abused him on several occasions.

"A lot of people turned against me, I was the bad guy," says Kennedy, who chronicled his experience in the 2006 book Why I Didn't Say Anything and appeared on everything from Oprah to ABC's Nightline.

"But I didn't have a choice -- I had to say something or I was going to die."

Continued at...

Edited by ptb (11/20/08 09:27 PM)
Once you get out on your own,
So here's to all the little boys,
The sandman takes you where,
You'll be sleepin' with a pillowman,
On the nickel over there.
Waits

#262970 - 11/20/08 11:38 PM Re: Sheldon Kennedy Interview [Re: ptb]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Don't know if this part of the story made it to the U.S. but shortly after his story became public, the darling Mr Kennedy set up a Foundation that was to open a camp facility for formerly abused boys where they could get conseling and rehabilitation. Long story short, seems Sheldon Kennedy pissed-up one million + dollars on his drinking and drug habits and for other personal usage. The unfortunate and oh, so tragic Mr Kennedy made a clean breast of things and check himself into a detox/rehab facility.

Whatever his personal demons, this liar is not a credible spokesperson for male CSA and here in Canada he set back any sympathy the public may have had for guys like us by a thousand years. All that money he snorted away? - yeah, all of it was public donations!!!

We get shafted - he gets a millom dollar book deal. Fuck him!!!

Edited by joelRT (11/20/08 11:46 PM)

#262972 - 11/20/08 11:59 PM Re: Sheldon Kennedy Interview [Re: joelRT]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
I had seen Sheldon Kennedy along with his wife on Oprah, years ago. I believe he was playing with the Detroit Red Wings at the time he brought the abuse to light. I think he said it was a former youth hockey club coach and there were also other victims.

I was a big hockey fan (Flyers), and alos the played ice hockey when I was younger, so I remember how personal it hit me back then.

It's helpful when those people in the public eye come forward with their own stories of victimization, especially when they are male survivors. I feel it gives the rest of us "less known" and "unpopular" a light in this ongoing battle of survival.

Rich

#263006 - 11/21/08 10:26 AM Re: Sheldon Kennedy Interview [Re: Stretch73]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
While I couln't agree more, at least in principal, I take issue with this particular spokesman. I watched his interview this year on a popular Candadian talk show geared to the twenty something and thirty something crowd. He did not once mention his CSA but talked only of his stints in detox and how he is doing since all while promoting the hell out of his book.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.