Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#262830 - 11/20/08 07:32 AM Two steps forward, one....
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

We sure were anxious to see her do it...for weeks she clung to any piece of furniture she could, trying to maintain her balance. From the couch, to any chair, the coffee table. She was, I might add, very pleased with herself, too.

At about ten months, my daughter went from crawling on the floor to actually standing, using any piece of furniture she could for balance. Then, one day, she stepped away from the couch, stood there, a little surprised and wondered, I am sure, "Oh-oh, now what do I do?"

I was about three or four steps away from her and I just held out my arms. And, she took her first steps.

I do not remember thinking, "Well, it is about time." I don't recall saying, "Well, when you are you going to get over that crawling thing?"

Each developmental stage involved a surge of awareness, movement, then a process where other things she had already learned and accomplished, slipped back slightly.

The number of words she used and the clarity with which she used them diminished as we were transitioning out of diapers at eighteen months. When she learned to walk she had less interest in using utensils to eat and she wanted to be held more.

Each stage seemed to be about learning something new then, falling back, reassurance and connecting with me, making sure I was still there, that I hadn't changed, too...then, incorporating the changes into her life. She needed a safe place, always, to come back to. When those things all came together...well, just watch her run...

Imagine then, how something like this, childhood sexual abuse affects how we transition through the normal developmental stages of our lives. How, the need to defend consumes so much of our energy. How, in lieu of a safe place, we might have to settle for what is predictable or, familiar.

Imagine how that plays out now? With every change there comes a reasonable amount of confusion and loss. Confusion as we transition from where we are to where we want to be and, even though it is something we want, what lies out there, ahead of us, is unknown.

Unknown has always been bad...predictable, good, what is familiar, comfortable. Risk has meant hurt and, something, has to fill the space created as we challenge all of the misinformation we came here with.

So, knowing that, I wonder? If, on any given bad day, when things might not be going well, the nightmares invade, the anxiety is high, when it is hard to remember how far we've come let alone think of where we want to be...I wonder if saying, "I am getting closer..." might be all that is necesary. Maybe, even, the most honest response. "I have come this far and...I am getting closer."

I like the sound of that. And, maybe, if you accept that, too...just hold out your arms and wait...maybe, tomorrow, it'll be,

"Just watch me run!!"

Thanks

:-)

Dave

#262910 - 11/20/08 05:11 PM Re: Two steps forward, one.... [Re: ttoon]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Dave,

I have a daughter who is 22 months old and I can so understand what you are talking about here.
Whenever she talks a giant step forward in her physical development (talking,walking, etc...) she always needs more emotional reassurance from the wife and I at these times.
As if the more freedom that she attains the more she needs to know her base support is solid.
I also think that she needs to step back and understand what she has ascomplished. Figure out how to use this new found freedom and where to preceed from here.

I agree with you that this has alot of parallels to the process of our own recovery. We take a few steps forward and fall. So we take a step back to understand what just happened. Before we risk taking some more steps forward etc.....
As the old saying goes you have to learn to walk before you can run.

Good insight thanks for sharing this.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.