Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441422 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#262687 - 11/19/08 11:45 AM Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as child"
Blurry Offline
MaleSurvivor

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Disgraced evangelical pastor Ted Haggard says he was sexually abused as a child and that the experience "started to rage in my mind and in my heart" when he was caught up in a sex scandal involving a male prostitute. Haggard made the remarks in two recent sermons in Morrison, Ill., ABC's "Good Morning America" reported Wednesday.

Haggard said one of his father's employees "had a sexual experience with me" when Haggard was 7, according to audio recordings of the sermons posted on the ABC News Web site.

Haggard said he later became "a conservative Republican, loving the word of God, an evangelical, born-again, spirit-filled, charismatic, all those things.

"But some of the things that were buried in the depths of the sea from when I was in the second grade started to rage in my mind and in my heart," he said.

In 2006, Haggard was fired as pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs when a former male prostitute alleged they had a cash-for-sex relationship. The man also said he saw Haggard use methamphetamine. Haggard also stepped down as president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

He has said some of the allegations were exaggerated but he has never offered specifics.

Haggard, who is starting an insurance agency in Colorado Springs, did not immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press.

Haggard previously had confessed to undisclosed "sexual immorality," and on the new audio he said: "I really did sin."

Haggard said his family suffered severely for his actions.

"My wife — all my sin and shame fell on her. People treated her as if she had fallen," he said. "And my children — they all went through carrying my shame. And I am so sorry that I did that to my family."

Haggard said he became suicidal but eventually emerged with a stronger Christian faith and marriage than he'd ever had.

Haggard said church leaders missed an opportunity to use his scandal to "communicate the gospel worldwide through secular media."

"We consistently blow it" when those opportunities arise, he said.

"A congressman in trouble, that's the time. A family member gets himself in horrible trouble, that's the time. A preacher gets himself in awful trouble, that's the time," he said, his voice rising to a near-shout.

#262748 - 11/19/08 08:46 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as child" [Re: Blurry]
pluckmemory Offline

I am tired of adult predators blaming their actions on being sexually abused as a child. The majority of men who are abused as kids do not grow up to be predators. Haggard should have sought out therapy long ago.

#262752 - 11/19/08 08:55 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as child" [Re: pluckmemory]
Marinan Offline

I didn't know he molested anyone. I thought he just had sex with a man.

#262763 - 11/19/08 09:17 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as child" [Re: pluckmemory]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pluckmemory
I am tired of adult predators blaming their actions on being sexually abused as a child. The majority of men who are abused as kids do not grow up to be predators. Haggard should have sought out therapy long ago.

I suppose that could be said for every one of us. Why did any of us wait to seek therapy as long as we did? I'm not attempting to make excuses for his lack of self control, but recovery only begins for any one of us when we reach that point in our lives where it finally dawns on us that it's desperately needed.

As to the idea that he was a predator, currently we only have a "former" male prostitute who Haggard engaged in a consensual relationship with for a mutually agreed upon sum of money. To my way of thinking that would make him a "john" at worst. Add to that the adjectives of reckless, thoughtless, and hypocritical? Very much so, but predator? Not from any evidence we've seen so far, but who's to say for sure at this point? I'll agree that we probably don't know the whole story.

#262765 - 11/19/08 09:19 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: pluckmemory]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
He didn't molest anyone. So I don't understand this post either.

M

#262780 - 11/19/08 09:51 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: MarkK]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am equally tired of adult predators alleging a history of child abuse in a ploy for leniency; but, I don't think Haggard qualifies as a predator. Though it still looks like a ploy for leniency.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#262795 - 11/19/08 10:35 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: melliferal]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

It may look like a ploy - but as someone who knows Pastor Haggard - I believe him.

M

#262806 - 11/19/08 11:40 PM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: MarkK]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
ok, did you know him before or after he decided to become 'honest', ie, after he got caught.

#262849 - 11/20/08 09:56 AM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: Sans Logos]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

He is an honest man. Lying to hide the pain and/or acting out from past abuse is not something he originated. Read the posts around here. If being an honest man means 100% honesty at all times - then none of us can pass that test.

I first met Pastor Haggard three years before the disclosure happened. I also know how much his family has suffered and is suffering.

And, being another person who didn't disclose until after I "got caught", I completely understand and empathise with his position. Especially since I, too, no longer have my position of leadership with the church I was at - the one where my once "best friend" is the pastor. To some extent, I'm a little jealous as the New Life church has not cast him out as an "unforgivable lost soul".

Ted was and is a good man, and, in my opinion at least, deserves the same acceptance and tolerance as the rest of us.

M

#262851 - 11/20/08 10:01 AM Re: Disgraced pastor Haggard: "I was abused as chi [Re: MarkK]
pluckmemory Offline

My mistake. I thought he had accosted boys as well. I was confusing him with Mark Foley.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.