Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (GT13568, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443126 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262508 - 11/18/08 06:09 PM .
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Niels (12/10/08 08:02 AM)
Edit Reason: privacy-trust issues-post deleted

#262514 - 11/18/08 06:47 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: Niels]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Some of us have a social disability. Strangers are hard to trust. We have been badly hurt by "strangers" in the past and to find strangers in chat adds an extra burden to those who have a hard time relating to others. If we get to know someone in discussion and then they have a different name in chat, it is like getting a card in Monopoly that says, "Go directly home, do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not . . . do not . . . etc

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#262553 - 11/18/08 08:58 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: pufferfish]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hi Niels,

The software allows a user to pick separate names to use on the discussion board and chat software when they sign up. It does make it confusing at times if you can't remember who is who on both sides. Unfortunately, there's no way to change them after the registration is done so it's something the user has to live with from that point on. It takes a while, but you'll start putting name+name together and remembering who's who.

#262562 - 11/18/08 09:18 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: EGL]
Pete2004 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Neils:

In the beginning of my visiting the site, I was terrified of the idea of being identified. It took me months to get comfortable here on the site just reading the items on the discussion board. When I visited the chat room, I didn't want to hide or be deceitful, so I used my name..... Pete and included the year I first visited 2004 so, I am Pete2004 in chat.

Eddie is correct, once one chooses a name, one can't go back and change it.

Hope this helps,

Peter

comes back into our own. (Edwin Markham)

#262566 - 11/18/08 09:28 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: Pete2004]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Those who wish to may want to help Niels and others on the site out by specifying what their chat name and forum name is.

My name is the same for the forums and for chat.

#262591 - 11/18/08 10:23 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: WalkingSouth]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Good idea, John. I'm EGL in both places.

#262607 - 11/18/08 11:10 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: EGL]
behindthewall Offline

Loc: US
my reasoning for choosing different names, was to provide an extra measure of security for myself. the majority of my abuse was at the hands of a well known "brotherhood" that was involved in satanism/nwo. since where i post is viewable to anyone, i didnt want to use my name.

#262608 - 11/18/08 11:16 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: behindthewall]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Why my names are different is because I really didn't know what I was doing when i registered and now I can't change it.
Wish I could but have been told it is not posssible.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#262618 - 11/18/08 11:50 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: michael banks]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mine is the same.

#262650 - 11/19/08 08:46 AM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: Nyjah]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'm mike5 on the forum and on the chat.

I rarely use the MaleSurvivor chat because of the names thing. When I came back from my first WoR, I went on the chat and talked with someone who's chat name didn't match his forum name. I didn't know who he was or that he had two identities, but he told me he was someone who had been at the same weekend. Turns out he had been at the weekend, but he was passing himself off as a third man who'd also been on the weekend. After a while he said "ha ha, just kidding, that's what we do here in chat." So I've been wary of the chat room.

Although we may feel fear and shame about showing up as ourselves, it is really important to be who we are. There is nothing wrong with me being me and you being you! Acting as if we are multiple people, either through overt deception or something apparently benign as multiple online identities, can have several consequences: a smaller, safer community that excludes those who don't know who is who, or a larger community with limited trust. If I have multiple identities, I can split my story and my self so nobody knows the whole me. Although this may serve some of us as individuals, none of it serves our recovery or our whole community.

Mike5

#262792 - 11/19/08 10:31 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: mike5]
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

lots of people sign their post with their real name. And the also have a foruam name and some even another chat forum name. It means that ther3. is 3 names to remmember. since it take sme time to rember name Like EGl=eddie, M3=Mike=mmilroy. So yes it would be nice to know what people who have difffent forum and chatnames aand where they are.

#262954 - 11/20/08 09:33 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: Niels]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Unless your first name is (Hey,how's it goin)or (ketcha later) I'm bound to forget it.

My rememberer is stuck on stupid.

Do you know what the date is today? (me neither).

My memory is a pencil and a piece of paper.

Maybe I'm lucky,as not all memories are good.

Lucky Man (Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

island

(whoda fugowi in chat) I'm just joking I'm not Whodafug...

Edited by 1islandboy (11/20/08 11:42 PM)
Edit Reason: being silly

#262967 - 11/20/08 10:53 PM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: 1islandboy]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
mine is the same

and

i am a ron

#263059 - 11/22/08 12:34 AM Re: Are your Forum name and Chat Forum name the same? [Re: Sans Logos]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Niels,

The profile option is now working for the chatroom, so if your in chat an unsure of who a user is click on there name then choose profile. This will open up a new window an show you there board name an profile information.

Nathan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.