Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
6 registered (SJC, Rich1967, 4 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445471 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262333 - 11/17/08 08:44 PM anybody dating a survivor?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK

Edited by king tut (11/22/08 07:41 PM)

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#262422 - 11/18/08 04:30 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: king tut]
LittleNinja Offline

Loc: South Africa
I have been dating a survivor for a year now.

Peace and love x0x0x

#262439 - 11/18/08 08:42 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: LittleNinja]
rchsweetie Offline
New Here

i was until about a week ago. We had been together (on and off) for 2 and a half years.

#262440 - 11/18/08 09:00 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: rchsweetie]
MissMyra Offline

I used to date a survivor as well. =)

#262621 - 11/19/08 12:07 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: MissMyra]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by king tut (11/22/08 07:41 PM)

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#262626 - 11/19/08 02:45 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: king tut]
LittleNinja Offline

If you want to ask anything later, I will do my best to answer you! Keep well!

Peace and love x0x0x

#263082 - 11/22/08 01:53 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: LittleNinja]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I wanna ask, if you don't mind.

I have dated before but No LTR's I would like one but I keep F-ing it up some how.

I have 2 questions.

1. how long where you dating before he disclosed.

2 What was your initial reaction to him telling you and why do you think that it did?

shoot, I guess thats 3 so far.

just one more, I promise.

this may be a tough question to answer but did you suspect anything may happened before he disclosed, maybe the way he reacted in the bedroom or after sex????

-Blade Runner

#263146 - 11/22/08 12:08 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Honestly-Id be curious about Logan's questions too. I've dated very little and don't feel like anyone would have the patience or desire for me.

#263151 - 11/22/08 12:31 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
MissMyra Offline

Hello Logan and Deck,

of course everyone's experiences are different, but here are my answers to your questions:

1) I can't quite remember, but we weren't dating that long before he disclosed. Perhaps 2 months?

2a) He happened to disclose in an angry outburst, and I think I was crying at the time already. I felt terrible for him and all the pain that he went through. I just wanted to let him know that I love him and that it didn't change anything for me in terms of what I felt for him, so that's what I did. And that I'd be there for him and support him.

2b) Why I felt the way I did? That's really difficult to answer! I'm sadly no stranger to sexual abuse, so I think that may have had something to do with it - as in, I didn't freak out and could somewhat understand his pain I think.

3) Of course I think something must have happened specifically to set him off, but the said angry outburst wasn't actually aimed at me. It was more a rant on his part about how badly his life was going (that was his take on it anyways). It didn't seem that there was anything that happened between us that specifically brought it on.

And it wasn't directly related to sex I don't think. At that point we hadn't gone "all the way" yet in the relationship. Of course, that could have been part of it, but I'm not aware of anything specifically happening beforehand - not that I picked up on at least.

But again, that's just one experience, I'm sure things were rather different for others. I hope this is a little helpful at least. =)

#263462 - 11/23/08 04:59 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
Zooey Offline

Loc: FL

Edited by Zooey (02/14/09 04:36 AM)

#263554 - 11/23/08 11:49 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
Liv2124 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Logan,
To answer your questions:
It was 15 years in, before he disclosed.
I don't know that I can tell you why he chose to disclose when he did. I CAN tell you that it explained alot. He had major issues around touch, intimacy etc. I always blamed myself prior to the disclosure. (I wasn't pretty enough, he didn't love me enough, etc. etc. etc.)
I started to suspect something just prior to his disclosure, and there was a near-sex experience that left me with questions I couldn't answer at the time.
Always,
Liv

#263970 - 11/27/08 08:25 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
LittleNinja Offline

Logan

My guy actually disclosed to me about 2 weeks after I met him and before he officially asked me to be his gf. (I'm the 1st and only person he has disclosed to, I don't know why he felt like he wanted to tell me but I feel honoured that he did).

My initial reaction - I think I was as supportive as I could be, I hope I was! It's hard to explain how I felt, there were many emotions! I felt outraged that he had to suffer the abuse, I felt hate towards his perps (even though I don't know who they are, and I still feel that hate in me). I felt (and still do) that I wanted to do anything in my power to help him recover from what happened. I felt a deep respect for him, for the fact that he disclosed and because he has been surviving his abuse alone for so long.

As for your third question, I can't answer that because he disclosed to me long before we ever set foot in the bedroom! smile

Peace and love x0x0x

LN

#263992 - 11/27/08 10:00 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: LittleNinja]
Kathryn Offline

I knew something happened to Rob, but I didn't know what. Among other things, my oldest brother picks his arms and always has open wounds, so does Rob, though less now than before.

Rob's outwardly gregarious, optimistic and seems really well-adapted in that he's successful at work, loves his daughter, and knows how to play.

But the first time I met him, I mean the first time I looked at him, I got this image in my head of those happy/sad masks that announce that a play is to begin, it comes from the Greek Tragedies. And this was a very clear image in my mind. But then we began to talk, and because he's so gregarious, optimistic and seemingly well-balanced, I sort of pushed it aside.

Still, I teased him about being gay -- not something that is my habit. And the first time I went into his bedroom and saw that it was messy, I sighed in relief and said to him, "Oh good, I was so afraid you're anal".

Sex was great, the best ever, and I'm 45 years old. Early on I wrote an email to Rob in which I said that I loved his receptivity, again, not a feeling I've ever had about a guy before.

So since he's receptive, and I'm receptive, there was a sense of merging. I guess that's what they mean by "an oceanic feeling", or the "little death" -- or a oneness experience... Two people who surrender to the unconscious communication of the other and converse in silence....

A lot of you guy's fears are groundless, you'll be who you are when you're ready.

"Forget your Perfect Offering, There's a crack in everything -- That's how the light gets in". By L. Cohen

#264318 - 11/29/08 12:42 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Zooey]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Zooey
However, because I'm also a survivor, I am hyper-aware of their re-enacting behaviors during sex and their dissociative and detachment behaviors during and after sex.

Really? you noticed that, what did they do wrong exactly?

Were they very aware that they were doing it?

How did it make you feel?

How do you know they were re-enacting behaviours?

If i do stuff with my girlfriend, i don't want her to think i am re-enacting anything, and i don't want to dissociate because that would be bad for her and she would think somethings wrong or something.

#264377 - 11/29/08 05:28 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Zooey]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Zooey
I've dated 2 survivors. Neither one of them disclosed to me while we were together. However, because I'm also a survivor, I am hyper-aware of their re-enacting behaviors during sex and their dissociative and detachment behaviors during and after sex. After the relationships ended, I found out that they had indeed been sexually abused in the past. Btw, I've never disclosed my own CSA to anyone, but I'm working through it with my new therapist.

If they had disclosed to me during our relationship, I would have been 100% accepting and loving and supportive. I would have loved and cared for them more and made every effort to understand, feel compassion for them and worked through it together. I think it would have been a cathartic experience for me too, and I would have been able to face my own issues and face my demons alongside him.

I completely understand why they didn't want to disclose to me. I know how frightening it is - which explains why I haven't been able to tell anyone about my own abuse experience. Several years ago, one of my therapists hinted at it and started administering hypnotherapy. I freaked out, pretended to be hypnotized but never "went under," then I never returned.

My late wife dated a survivor (me). I never disclosed because at the point of our engagement, I didn't know either. I had almost complete amnesia about "it". We had a good relationship. We were close friends. We were very active sexually. We shared everything. We have two wonderful kids and 4 grand kids.

But then my amnesia left. At first slowly, and then like an avalanche. I started having severe flashbacks during intimacy. The guy that "got" me as a 12 year old was reaching his slimy ugly fingers into my marriage.

What could I do? I just had to bear with it and stay in counseling until I worked it through.

Allen

= pufferfish whistle

#264402 - 11/29/08 08:00 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: pufferfish]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
One of the aspects that keeps kicking me in the hiney, psychologically speaking, is how unreasonable my emotional demands seem to be, when it comes to relationships...
What right do i have to expect total emotional transparency on the part of whoever i might become involved with, while simultaneously demanding that they accomodate my own halting, step-by-step unfolding of my true self?
While achingly lonely, being at this stage in my recovery is exactly why i am not at all allowing myself to get lost in the labyrinth of a romantic relationship... i honestly don't have anything solid enough to bring to such. While it would be easy for me to lose myself in the emotional entanglements and distractions that a romantic relationship entails, i honestly am not in a place to be involved in one for the right reasons...
i'm just too @#$%^'n much of a mess right now to be a partner for anyone. I know enough that a S.O. should never be asked to fill the role of a parent, sibling, therapist, etc.- even if sometimes they do temporarily. In my past, i've been drawn to those that were more emotionally scarred than myself- that way i at least felt that i could fulfill the role of protector/provider, and not be crippled by feelings of shame and inadequacy. I admit when i become emotionally involved/attached to a woman that's emotionally/psychologically "stronger" than me, i feel both viciously resentful/jealous, and yet very pleading and vulnerable, all at the same time.

Like i said, i'm obviously not in any shape to enter into a relationship at this point in my life- no matter how much i might hate having only the other pillow to hold at night.

Wow, i guess i'm all full of "spew and dump all over MS" lately...
Hope this helps SOMEbody else besides me wink

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#264430 - 11/29/08 10:19 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: dgoods]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

My wife and I are both survivors. She disclosed to me early in our relationship I waited 25 years to disclose to here. Yeah, I do feel badly about that but then I didn't really realize the impact the abuse had. It was over with and I was in the process of repressing those memories.

The fact that both of us are survivors has been both problematic and beneficial. We have a level of understanding that may not have been possible without that commonality, but it also serves for some pretty sever drama at times. We've been able to work through a lot of that in recent years with the help of a family counselor.

I certainly have no regrets in my choice of life partner in that regard.

John

#264504 - 11/30/08 04:09 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: dgoods]
Liv2124 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
dgoods,
I took particular interest in your post for a number of reasons. My SO is a survivor and we were together for 30 years.
Now that I'm "free"... I'm finding it difficult to go into or even broach a new relationship. I don't trust it. I keep waiting for something to come to light. It's conditioning...
I loved him. You don't walk away from a 30 year relationship without a scar.
What I accepted as normal was not the norm, and I made allowances...ALOT of allowances...
In the end, what little he did was to keep me on "retainer", in case another issue came up.
My text messages and voicemails went unanswered, he called or texted me with issues he didn't want to discuss with the people/friends he spent actual time with. In the end, I realized, I couldn't count on him and there was little in this for me. I let go.
I think that when the time is right for a new relationship, I'll be able to feel it. Right now, is not the right time.
Always,
Liv

#264541 - 11/30/08 09:27 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Liv2124]
mrrecovery Offline

well i am not really one to talk as i have never had a real long term relationship...but honestly i can't imagine NOT disclosing...how can the other person love the "real" you without knowing about your abuse???? like it or not, it is a part of us...

i have a talent for identifying other survivors (of rape or CSA)..and i often become attracted to them...1) i think they would understand me and we can help each other 2) it shows that they are strong people who can persevere

so far, i have not been too successful with other survivors BUT I have not given up on this road...a VERY important lesson that i learned at a Weekend of Recovery is that this mostly works IF the other person is as committed to recovery as you.

#265352 - 12/05/08 07:07 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Logan]
Partner Offline

Loc: United States
I am dating a survivor. We dated for two months or so before he told me. He told me after sex while lying in bed. I am not easily shockable but in honesty I was a little freaked out. I have male and female friends that have disclosed to me but it was sort of out of nowhere and early in the relationship and right after sex :?
However, my first thought was something like "oh my God he must really trust me, I better not fuck this up" so I tried really hard to not let on that I was anything other than supportive. And in reality I am very supportive. I wasn't faking it, I just was covering that initial shock 'cause I didn't want him to feel like he made a mistake by telling me. He also told me I was the second person told and that he thought his ex broke up with him because of it. frown
Later after I was actually comfortable with talking about it, I asked him to tell me about it if he wanted. He did but he generally doesn't want me to bring it up.

I reacted the way I did because it was shocking especially under the circumstances. Admittedly, I was a little worried health wise because we were using birth control rather than condoms and I had been ok with that under the premise that he had 1 sexual partner before me(the ex). That was far from my first thought though, that was a day or two later. Anyway, I guess I just really was surprised that he would tell me this so soon. I don't trust that fast. I also felt protective of him though so I really wanted to smack his ex and just hold him.

I did not suspect that he had been through anything like what he was. I knew his mom was bipolar and thought that was why he was so quiet and dark. I doubt his Mom helped the situation but evidently it also is due to his other experiences. I have no idea what the person was talking about with reenactment and disassociation during and after sex. My guy is disassociated alot of the time but sex and right after is about the only time he is fully present...probably why that's when he told me. I guess it did shed a lot of light on almost all his out of bed behavior but the in the bedroom stuff is much harder to have seen beforehand.

Though, I only really realized that I am a survivor recently and he had no idea. I mean, I was reading a book for partners of survivors and within pages I was identifying all this stuff about me and my childhood instead of learning about him! I bring this up because I may not see the things someone else might. He and I have very similar sexual boundaries, or lack there of, so maybe someone else would have thought something strange. I think I thought, finally a guy that isn't freaked out by things I like smile

I think it might be useful for you to realize that survivors react very differently sexually depending on various things including their own healing stage. Some people close themselves off to sex and others are quite promiscuos and still others are picky about the partner but open to trying almost anything. I don't think we all have "a tell" or anything. And finally, I can tell you that the fact that I know he trusts me in bed completely, and is very interested in ensuring my enjoyment of every experience, makes it so it wouldn't matter to me if he was "re-enacting" or anything. Whatever he needs or wants is totally fine with me because I know it is the same for him.

#265354 - 12/05/08 07:15 AM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Partner]
Partner Offline

Loc: United States
Oh, and Logan, it is now 2 1/2 years though the last 6 months have been on and off because I moved for school. He is visiting in a few weeks and I am trying to get him to move out when he is done with school so time length is unknown.

He is afraid to get too close to anyone because he says he doesn't want the pressure of having someone else rely on him emotionally. At the same time, he is the most reliable person, emotionally and otherwise...wish he knew it!

#265972 - 12/08/08 05:43 PM Re: anybody dating a survivor? [Re: Partner]
rchsweetie Offline
New Here

Hi Logan,
I re-found this thread, and I thought I'd try to answer.
He disclosed to me as we were breaking up. This was about 8 months into our relationship. I think he was ready to share, but I definitely pushed him, because I just didn't understand why he was ending our relationship - especially while also telling me how wonderful I am, etc. He finally blurted it out, when he couldn't keep repeating the excuses for breaking up anymore.

My reaction, I think, was one of support. It clarified so much for me. It was a huge relief. I knew that something had to be wrong, because I couldn't figure out why he kept pulling away (and was now breaking up with me), particularly after a great weekend together. So to realize that we were breaking up because of something larger than me, and it wasn't my fault - that was huge for me. It was important for us both to recognize, and it allowed me to be sympathetic and supportive, rather than a mean, slighted ex-girlfriend.

Since then we got back together, broke up again, got back together, and most recently, broke up again. I do think its over for us, at least until he deals with the abuse, takes care of himself, etc. mostly because I just can't keep going through this cycle.

But I have to say this, we most definitely would not have made it as far as we had, if he had not disclosed. He would've pulled away a long time ago - and I would've let him, hurt that he was being mean to me, causing me pain. Knowing the truth helped so so so much. Even in this breakup, I know that it doesn't have to do with me - and that knowledge is what is going to allow me (hopefully) to move on sooner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.