Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
9 registered (MrsC, Dave PNW, SoccerStar, Scott1962, 3 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63851 Topics
445835 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#260411 - 11/07/08 11:07 AM Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Sexual Aversion Disorder from the DSM-IV
(ask your therapist or a professionally licensed counsellor)

"anxiety, fear or disgust when confronted by a sexual opportunity with a partner.
The aversion to genital contact may be focused on a particular aspect of sexual experience...
Some individuals experience generalized revulsion to all sexual stimuli; including kissing & touching.
The intensity of the individual's reaction may range from moderate anxiety & lack of pleasure
to extreme psychological distress." (p499)

Sexual traumatization >>> Sexual Aversion Disorder >>> sexual identity/orientation confusion >>>?

Add cultural, social, religious & familial influences & you get the picture.

Talk to a professional. Talk to a couple. Ask questions.

Make an informed decision.

C

#260946 - 11/10/08 07:32 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: ineffable]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
I can definitely relate to this. Dating/Romantic situations bring a huge amount of stress. I tend to disassociate. It's just difficlt. I feel at such a total loss. It is just so difficlt to deal with.

#261250 - 11/12/08 09:32 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
umm...This rings true with what i experiance. But i'v decied that the way to stop feeling this is to stop have relationships!!

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#262024 - 11/16/08 09:31 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: Little_E]
deck Offline

I tend not to get involved romantically either-though it is something that I desire. I will say that I have a lot of friendships but nothing romantic. Most everything is asexual.

#262055 - 11/16/08 01:45 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
NickTLV Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I used to suffer from this. With some counseling and a VERY understanding/supportive partner, I was able to work through it. 90% of the time, love making is very safe & enjoyable now... about 10% of the time I can feel that old crap creeping up -- I just have to stop, open my eyes, look at who I am with, tell myself I am safe and with a loving person -- breath.. and if necessary, stop or redirect my spouse (sometimes it is just being touched a certain way that will "trigger" me.) At one I hated be touched, it actually felt like my wrists were burning and on fire --- today, things are much much better.

For me - the important thing was the right counselor... I had a few major issues I needed to work on. I found that I was trusting that one therapist too much -- he had great skills for some of my problems, but not all of them. I learned to interview therapists before committing to them. (They work for me, not visa versa.) Over years, I used three great therapists and learned a lot from each one.

#262974 - 11/21/08 12:11 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: NickTLV]
deck Offline

Finding an "nderstanding partner" almost seems like an impossiblity

#263060 - 11/22/08 12:35 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: NickTLV]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: NickTLV
(sometimes it is just being touched a certain way that will "trigger" me.)

Touch is the worst Trigger. Specialy in a romantic way. I like hugs, and to snuggle but Romantic touching is too hard, and i just freeze, and feel really crappy during and after.

Originally Posted By: deck
I Most everything is asexual.

That the way i feel about it too now! It just better not be sexual anymore, not to feel, or even try. Maybe far away in the further i might be able to try again, but for now, I will be asexual.

Elliot.

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#263399 - 11/23/08 11:19 AM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: Little_E]
deck Offline

I'm not necessary advocating being asexual. I do think that taking relationships off the table for a period of time to address more core issues will allow a much greater amount of focus on those issues.

Addressing core issues, especially the abuse itself, will hopefully allow us to build a foundation to address and resolve other issues (such as a feeling of inability to be in a relationship).

I think that it is unfortunate that I can't seem to have a romantic relationship with a woman. I feel guilt, shame and inadequacy when I look at a woman with sexual interest. I just tend to numb out leading to asexuality. I can be a good friend.

#266956 - 12/13/08 12:34 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: deck]
AndyS87 Offline

Loc: sorry, but I don't say on the ...
For me I would love it if I could find a girl who actually touch me romantically. It's funny though, the last time I had sex with a girl, my girlfriend at the time, she noticed that I was literally shaking all over. I was excited for it, but for some reason my entire body was shaking from head to foot. Since then I've been generally avoidant of sex in general. If I get an opportunity, I get really nervous and then I just freeze.

#267207 - 12/14/08 11:46 PM Re: Are you feeling S.A.D.? ++Possible trigger++ [Re: AndyS87]
deck Offline

It's difficult. I dissociate when I start to get physically close. I can't seem to stay in the moment.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.