Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443150 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#261740 - 11/15/08 11:50 AM Vegan Living.
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

Loc: Doorstep of Thugz Mansion.
I'm sure you are all aware that Nyjah and I, our whole family, is Vegan and Vegetarian. Unfortunately it's not good for Nyjah right now because he is not gaining weight and I know he is getting very frustrated.

Are there any other Vegans and Vegetarians? Do you know of any ways to help my son gain weight?

Thank you,

Bakr

#261756 - 11/15/08 01:05 PM Re: Vegan Living. [Re: Wyclef_Bakr]
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

Many Rastas eat limited types of meat in accordance with the dietary Laws of the Old Testament; they do not eat shellfish or pork. Others abstain from all meat and flesh whatsoever, asserting that to touch meat is to touch death, and is therefore a violation of the Nazirite oath. (A few make a special exception allowing fish, while abstaining from all other forms of flesh.) However, the prohibition against meat only applies to those who are currently fulfilling a Nazirite vow ("Dreadlocks Priesthood"), for the duration of the vow. Many Rastafari maintain a vegan or vegetarian diet all of the time. The purpose of fasting (abstaining from meat and dairy) is to cleanse the body in accordance to serving in the presence of the "Ark of the Covenent".
Usage of alcohol is also generally deemed unhealthy to the Rastafarian way of life, partly because it is seen as a tool of Babylon to confuse people, and partly because placing something that is pickled and fermented within oneself is felt to be much like turning the body (the Temple) into a "cemetery".
In consequence, a rich "alternative" cuisine has developed in association with Rastafari tenets, eschewing most synthetic additives, and preferring more natural vegetables and fruits such as coconut and mango. This cuisine can be found throughout the Caribbean and in some restaurants throughout the western world.
Some of the Houses (or "Mansions" as they have come to be known) of the Rastafari culture, such as the Twelve Tribes of Israel, do not specify diet beyond that which, to quote Christ in the New Testament, "Is not what goes into a man's mouth that defile him, but what come out of it". Wine is seen as a "mocker" and strong drink is "raging"; however, simple consumption of beer or the very common "Roots Wine" are not systematically a part of Rastafarian culture this way or that. Separating from Jamaican culture, different interpretations on the role of food and drink within the religion remains up for debate. At official state banquets Haile Selassie would encourage guests to "eat and drink in your own way".

I got this from Wikipedia, they explain it more than I can.

#261817 - 11/15/08 06:51 PM Re: Vegan Living. [Re: Wyclef_Bakr]
feelingafraid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 5,471 FT above sea level

Edited by feelingafraid (11/24/08 07:00 PM)

#261818 - 11/15/08 07:08 PM Re: Vegan Living. [Re: feelingafraid]
Wyclef_Bakr Offline

I'm glad that Kosher meat companies go to such lengths to make sure that the animal feels no pain. But eating meat is not something we partake in. We may need to bend the rules but that's something I'll have to talk with Ny about.

#262044 - 11/16/08 12:12 PM Re: Vegan Living. [Re: Wyclef_Bakr]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I don't claim to be any kind of biblical schollar (I leave that up to my wife) - but it has always been my understanding through what she has said to me that they did indeed eat a fair amount of fish back in those days and did not consider that as being un-holly in any way (they did stay away from shellfish though)

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.