Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
5 registered (estuardo, 4 invisible), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438366 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#261204 - 11/12/08 12:41 AM Plaese write letters
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I have started writing letters to my State and Federal law makers. To try and get the laws changed on the statue of limitations for sexual preditors . A lot of victoms hide there shane of being sexualy abused for several years. When they do come forward the courts say that the statue od limitations has lapsed .
This needs to be changed so that people can seek the justice that they deserve . Because sexual trama is a life sentense for rhe victom . and not being to persue justice is just wrong
and the laws need to be changed . To take the victoms into concideration.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#261206 - 11/12/08 12:47 AM Re: Plaese write letters [Re: OKIE MIKE]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: OKIE MIKE
I have started writing letters to my State and Federal law makers. To try and get the laws changed on the statue of limitations for sexual preditors .

SNAP invited me to give testimony in Washington D.C. to have the Statute of Limitations changed there. I think it was something ridiculous like 6 months. That is something designed by perps for perps. I don't think the effort has succeeded yet.

I have a little book that gives the addresses of all congressmen and supreme court judges. PM me and I'll look yours up.

Allen

pufferfish whistle
+

#261235 - 11/12/08 07:57 AM Re: Plaese write letters [Re: pufferfish]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Mike?

I would urge you to have your letters proof-read before you send them.

Much as it's wise to have a 2ond pair of eyes read, say, a letter to an editor at a newspaper, it helps assure that your letters are clear, to the point, and convincing in their wording.

And it doesn't have to be us, it could be anyone that you trust. If fact, I could imagine a non-survivor as being more objective and useful in this role than one of us .

Just a thought...........

Good luck with that!

#261248 - 11/12/08 09:15 AM Re: Please write letters [Re: Hauser]
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
I agree with correct spelling and grammer. If these are correct and precisely worded then our message behind the letter will be heard more clearly. Errors will only distract them. The letters need to be written so that once they are picked up by the reader, they won't put it down till it's been read. The attention span of the one's your writing is limited and we have to maximize the letters to the full effect. Now it's time for sound off on comments and suggestions.

#261251 - 11/12/08 09:32 AM Re: Please write letters [Re: nevragan]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Mike,

I couldn't agree more. Hauser & Nevragan make excellent points and I would only add this. Remember that the people these letters are destined to don't have a whole lot of time to sit back and just read, so be concise and to the point. Keep it short, no more than three paragraphs.

We, of course, are very passionnate about he topic and we want them to understand and consequently we have a tendency to go on and on hoping that if we just say enough that they will get the message of how very important this is. Remember that you are writing a few letters while the people reading them are reading very many. If your letter is three pages long, it won't get read.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.