Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, thedudeabides, sadclown, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63209 Topics
441985 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#259870 - 11/03/08 10:40 AM Boy Toy?
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I was wondering if anyone had read the book *Boy Toy* by Barry Lyga.

It's a fictional account of an 18 year old boy who was sexually abused by his female 24 year old teacher when he was 12.

It was mentioned in another forum I'm involved with and I was wondering if it is any good.

#259898 - 11/03/08 01:25 PM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I haven't read it. On Amazon.com it nets 4 out of 5 points by reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Toy-Barry-Lyga/dp/0618723935/ref=ed_oe_h

#384434 - 02/05/12 09:25 AM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: pufferfish]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I just heard of this book and was wondering the same thing. It's a little surprising (not unwelcome though) to me that it's billed as a "young adult" genre.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#385687 - 02/14/12 04:11 AM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: LandOfShadow]
Berenice Offline

Loc: Europe
Any book which has a main character who is in his teens (this means up to 19) falls into the bracket "Young Adult", genre-wise.

#386070 - 02/16/12 04:00 PM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: Berenice]
tomebamboo Offline

Loc: WA
Berenice,

I recently discovered MS and felt as though I finaly found an all male site dedicated to the healing of men with men. Your presence here makes me feel vulnerable to share what I have to say. For me this would be no differnt then if you walked into a live male group setting and began to ask questions and take notes. Perhaps starting your own site and inviting abused males to share instead of intruding on our space. I respect you wanting to write a book but why I cause harm in the process.

Tomebamboo

#386245 - 02/18/12 08:33 AM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: tomebamboo]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Tomebamboo:
MS rules allow females and other partners of survivors to post anywhere except the main male survivor public forum. Many survivors welcome the input from females for a different perspective.

When a female posts n that forum, we will move the post to another location. There is another solution if you don't want to hear from females, and that would be to have the private male survivor forum which requires a paid membership. Partners of male survivors are not permitted in that forum.

#386419 - 02/19/12 02:46 PM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
tomebamboo Offline

Loc: WA
Ken singer,

I will then be withdrawing myself from this site. I can't afford the membership nor for what I would consider the invation and profitting of my sharing. Perhaps staing that authors are allowed in on the main web page would be more transparent.

Disappointed,
tomebamboo

#387030 - 02/24/12 05:14 AM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pbert53 Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington, USA
Ken,

Here is the Amazon.com site address for the book. There are reviews on the page. Maybe you have already read them. It's all good. I haven't read the book. I look forward to some other's comments here from some that have read it.

peace

paul

~ adapted from: Sri Ram

#387069 - 02/24/12 11:34 AM Re: Boy Toy? [Re: tomebamboo]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
tomebamboo, I understand how you are distrustful of women and feel unsafe around them. For good reasons. Perhaps the chat room at times when all male, which I think it usually is, would be helpful. And nothing is otherwise archived or visible later.

In person men's groups are possible some places too.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.