Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (gettingstronger), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447919 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#259788 - 11/02/08 08:53 PM P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Libraries are cool...!!!

Sure I've got a bookshelf FULL of recovery books, but I'm at a loss for, what I'm dealing with now.

I started my quest to become more informed on Dissociation using the internet. Problem was, I found too much information on the subject and felt absolutely lost.

Backing up, to explain what I'm going through, I had a dissociation episode recently that really scared me, considering the time and place it happened.

So my journey led me to my local library, were I found a book titled, "The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder sourcebook",By Glenn R. Schiraoldi, Ph. D. (looks to be well organized).

As an added bonus, I found a PBS home video called, "Raising Cain", that I'm going to watch w/my girlfriend (I've already read the book w/the same title).

I'm not going to take my lack of mental stability lying down.

with ALL guns blazing, there WILL be action and more action.(mindsets to overcome the lunatic frindge).

Were not going to take it (Twisted Sister)

island

#259797 - 11/02/08 10:01 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: 1islandboy]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I have requested the same book . but it stays cheched out most of the time

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#259803 - 11/02/08 10:51 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: OKIE MIKE]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Looks like this book has gotten very positive reviews on amazon.com. I was just able to request it from a regional library. Thanks.

I was diagnosed with manic depression back when I first reached out (and well, even before I 'disclosed'; my initial disclosures called what happened a 'homosexual experience', and no one really pushed to further understand).

Pretty sure they were wrong, and I have since found out that MD diagnoses were all the rage in the 90s (not that is doesn't exist; I'm just saying).

It was my belief that what seemed more likely was that part of my problems may have been PTSD related, and that was sort of how I approached reaching out for help again in late summer 2005.

I hope to learn some more from this book.

Eric

#259804 - 11/02/08 10:52 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: OKIE MIKE]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Looks like this book has gotten very positive reviews on amazon.com. I was just able to request it from a regional library. Thanks.

I was diagnosed with manic depression back when I first reached out (and well, even before I 'disclosed'; my initial disclosures called what happened a 'homosexual experience', and no one really pushed to further understand).

Pretty sure they were wrong, and I have since found out that MD diagnoses were all the rage in the 90s (not that is doesn't exist; I'm just saying).

It was my belief that what seemed more likely was that part of my problems may have been PTSD related, and that was sort of how I approached reaching out for help again in late summer 2005.

I hope to learn some more from this book.

Eric

#259809 - 11/02/08 11:23 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: ericc]
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have found the book : "The PTSD Workbook" Tremendously helpful, because it is a workbook and therefore becomes personal about dealing with all the aspects of understanding and especially how I can cope in ways that fits me. It is written by 2 psychologist and trauma experts, who have gathered tecniques and tools used by PTSD expert from around the world. It is excellent! Written by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula. It should be a must read for all survivors of sexual abuse.

#259948 - 11/03/08 08:14 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: 1islandboy]
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
I have read some parts of that book and it has some good things to know in it. I found it on the shelf with the other books in the abuse section at Borders. I will usually make a note on the book title and go back and read the same book before buying it. The book store really doesn't care if you sit and read. Another book I have found very helpful is "Trauma Through A Child's Eyes" by Peter A. Levine and Maggie Klein. This book is good for sorting out and understanding more when you missed out on having a childhood. It is also good for understanding how we think at a young age. It has many ideas and techniques on correcting and learning new behaviors. I don't want to sound like a salesman but want to share what has helped me learn and understand more about myself. One good thing I have found going to bookstores is that you may find newer material than some of the old stuff the library has. Happy hunting.

#259963 - 11/03/08 10:04 PM Re: P.T.S.D. sourcebook and Raising Cain [Re: 1islandboy]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Here's a link for a Veteran's version, just thought someone might like the info. http://www.ptsdmanual.com/

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.