Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Damian1974, iaccus, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64198 Topics
447997 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#259404 - 11/01/08 12:53 AM Father & Son Day
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
Today was a great day. I left work early with my son and we headed up to Citizens Bank Ball Park for the World Series Champions Philadelphia Phillies celebration. In the words of Chase Utley, who made sense of it all rather quickly, "World Champions. World F#ckin' Champions."

I sat on the curb down the street from the ballpark with my son, and cried like a baby. It all kind of hit me at one moment, and I have waited so long for this day. My son said, "Are those happy tears or sad tears, Daddy." I said, "These are very, very good tears!" He said, "I'll try to cry with you then." smile AT that moment, everything seemed real and meant to be. It was the way it should be, and it's lasting longer than just a few minutes.

I was 4 years-old when my father took me to Game 5 of the 1980 World Series. I don't remember it at all, but have been told it was an exciting time for Phillies fans. From what I understand, the parade today dwarfed the one of 1980. My son is almost 4, and I wanted him to live this special day with me, so in 20-30 years, he can tell his friends about it, or his kids that "He Was There!"

It also kind of hit me today, that here I am with my son, who is right around the age I was when my dad took me to the World Series and to the Parade down Broad Street in Philly, and my dad is dead. It's known well here, that I lost contact with both of my parents, and wasn't involved in their lives for many years, but there was some kind of revenge I took from today.

The revenge is this;

I took my son with me today because I love him, and I wanted him to share in my time of jubilation. I also wanted him to know that this is a day we will talk about for many years to come and I WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR HIM. I'm not going anywhere. I am not my father! It took today for me to realize that!

I carried him eight blocks from the stadium to where I had parked the car. He was completely drained of any enthusiasm and energy a typical child has. He slept in my arms throughout the entire walk, and slept soundly in the car seat for the entire 5 hours it took to get home. (Normally a 35 minute drive LOL)
I peered through the rearview mirror, and was greeted with a thought that goes something like this... Thank you Phillies! Thank you for doing this for me, the City of Philadelphia, Phillies fans all over the country, and more importantly thank you for allowing me to realize the love and affection my father neglected to give me, but in turn, I have given my son. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbS8Fzo8LA

We all did it!

World Champions!

Edited by Stretch73 (11/01/08 03:41 AM)

#259405 - 11/01/08 01:00 AM Re: Father & Son Day [Re: Stretch73]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Originally Posted By: Stretch73

I peered through the rearview mirror, and was greeted with a thought that goes something like this... Thank you Phillies! Thank you for doing this for me, the City of Philadelphia, Phillies fans all over the country, and more importantly thank you for allowing me to realize the love and affection my father neglected to give me, but in turn, I have given my son.

We all did it!

World Champions!

WOW! That was AWESOME!!!!!

Thank you for sharing that with us!

#259406 - 11/01/08 01:13 AM Re: Father & Son Day [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
35 minutes from Citizens Bank Park to Sea Isle City? You must be those guys I see on the AC expressway doing 90.

Rob's right, that is awesome. I just love the thought of you giving your son the childhood we never had. Every child deserves his/her childhood

Jason

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#259408 - 11/01/08 01:15 AM Re: Father & Son Day [Re: onlyakid]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
LOL Well I was actually picking up my son in Linwood first, so that cuts down about 4 minutes. LOL

#259418 - 11/01/08 04:59 AM Re: Father & Son Day [Re: Stretch73]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Stretch73,
From an old father (69), to you and your son I offer my love. I never had a father as far as I know. But I do have a son he's (35) and we are always talking and seeing each other. I told him my secret a couple of weeks ago, and we both cried as I got his understanding, compassion and unconditional love. He thanked me for protecting him. He told me that I was a good father and a good grandfather to his (my) 2 boys both now 8 yrs old. Those boys are my heart and soul. So Stretch73, enjoy each other. Father -Son love sure is the best medicine that I can think of when were down. Heal well my friend.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.