Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blakanezebruh (43), OneWithStrength (37), Parker (45), scottyg (42)
Who's Online
3 registered (JW1230, Obi, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446621 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#259184 - 10/31/08 11:52 AM Halloween
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
I hate holloween...it seeems i don't have any fun memories of it, rather aweful memories of some holloweeens in my childhood. but I guess I need to get over that...as I need to get over so many things...sorry am going through a deep depression right now

#259185 - 10/31/08 11:59 AM Re: Halloween [Re: sunwolf]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Hey Sunwolf,

Quote:
sorry am going through a deep depression right now

Talk to us, Sunwolf - we're listening. Remember that we're all in this together so don't isolate with what you're going through. 'Cmon, lets talk it out....................

#259231 - 10/31/08 04:20 PM Re: Halloween [Re: joelRT]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I don't like holloween because of all the masks, my perps had them to wear and I never saw their faces. I know what their masks look like and they scare the crap out of me. I don't need that so I hide trying to make it through.

Holloween is just bad I don't know who they all are but they are still out there.

I need a hug

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#259234 - 10/31/08 04:30 PM Re: Halloween [Re: usmc97]
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Bassett, Virginia
My Halloween memories are pretty negative, too. Does anyone have good memories of it? Why is it even celebrated? The only thing positive I can think of (besides chocolate!) is "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." Love Snoopy as the WWI flying ace. Other than that, a HORRIBLE evening. Just an evening for teenagers to terrorize little kids.

(((sunwolf))) - I'll be in touch

(((usmc97))) - that hug wasn't easy, either; I'm ex-USAF

Peace,

John

About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

#259239 - 10/31/08 04:34 PM Re: Halloween [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Fissy Tsickens
Does anyone have good memories of it? Why is it even celebrated? The only thing positive I can think of (besides chocolate!) is "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

I did. Halloween was usually a fun time for me as a kid. My first costume was a skeleton (age 6). By the time I was 13 I was an angry kid and so I was soaping windows and putting cherry bombs down sewers, etc. I was acting out what had been done to me, but I still take responsibility for my actions.

Here at MS we have the great pumpkin, Robbie Brown.

Edited by pufferfish (10/31/08 04:35 PM)

#259245 - 10/31/08 05:06 PM Re: Halloween [Re: pufferfish]
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
I have some fond memories of halloween, i remember some fun trick or treating times, but i find alot of my fond childhood memories are squandered by the bad ones... on and i got some history of halloween too....

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain).[1] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year."[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the living and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5]

History of name

The term Halloween is shortened from All Hallows' Even (both "even" and "eve" are abbreviations of "evening," but "Halloween" gets its "n" from "even") as it is the eve of "All Hallows' Day,"[6] which is now also known as All Saints' Day. It was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions,[7] until Popes Gregory III and Gregory IV moved the old Christian feast of All Saints' Day from May 13 (which had itself been the date of a pagan holiday, the Feast of the Lemures) to November 1. In the ninth century, the Church measured the day as starting at sunset, in accordance with the Florentine calendar. Although All Saints' Day is now considered to occur one day after Halloween, the two holidays were, at that time, celebrated on the same day. Liturgically, the Church traditionally celebrated that day as the Vigil of All Saints, and, until 1970, a day of fasting as well. Like other vigils, it was celebrated on the previous day if it fell on a Sunday, although secular celebrations of the holiday remained on the 31st. The Vigil was suppressed in 1955, but was later restored in the post-Vatican II calendar.

#259280 - 10/31/08 08:29 PM Re: Halloween [Re: irishguy]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
I took my kids out for the usual candy extortion scheme. Our neighborhood is a tough one to walk cuz there is a ton of space between houses. My daughter dropped-out half way through the treck (I think some coyotes took her home).

You ever have one of those times when SO many elements of a moment is JUST like "then?" ... Just like when you were a kid....just like that time ______? Tonight was like that.

Boo and I were up high on a hill and the sky was perfectly clear...full of stars. The air, the smells, the temperature...everything was JUST like Halloween night when I was 11 years old.

My son is one of those deep-thinkers and is very sentimental. I told him about the connection I made between tonight and the same night in 1971. He said that he will likely remember this night forever too.

I'm fortunate with my Halloween memories. Daddy Dearest was always on a biz trip during Halloween, and the dreadful four left me fully alone. They were probably too busy egging houses and other terrible things to be bothered with using my warm flesh.

But tonight was really neat. Its great to be a part of new happy memories for a couple of kids. We had fun. smile

Still Not Recognized

#259283 - 10/31/08 08:44 PM Re: Halloween [Re: Still]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I recently heard Halloween described as the day we all send our kids out to accept candy from strangers. I like Halloween, but hearing it put that way kind of made me look at it a whole different way. hmm..musta been David Letterman said that.
(((sunw)))
(((usmc)))

Edited by blueshift (10/31/08 08:50 PM)
Edit Reason: add ( )s

#259343 - 10/31/08 10:56 PM Re: Halloween [Re: blueshift]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i liked halloween, i liked dressing up, i liked sweets, i liked drawing halloween pictures, and liked the pumpkins and i liked the decorations, and i liked the scary films, especially zombie films.

but i didn't do anything today.
i guess i'm just too old for halloween now...

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#259349 - 10/31/08 11:09 PM Re: Halloween [Re: king tut]
No1Special Offline

I like the idea of a day where people can enjoy creepy stuff, but I hate Halloween in this country. Get to clean an egg off the window (as does everyone in the street) and have to disable the doorbell and ignore people knocking because even if I could afford to give people sweets or whatever, I don't see why "give me something or else" should be tolerated today (well yesterday now) just cuz it's a certain date. I also hate having "holidays" pushed in to my face and literally on my doorstep. Maybe I'm just boring but I felt the same was a kid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.