Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (watzupwitu, highflight, 4 invisible), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63774 Topics
445365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258911 - 10/29/08 09:31 PM Male examinations since I am over 50
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
This is really embarrasing, but I need to talk about it and would appreciate responses from men who have dealt with this.

I recently changed my primary care physician because I need someone who understands PTSD and my old PCP doesn't think it exists.

My doctors want me to have two exams I am freaking out about. A prostate exam and a colonoscopy. Because of my age, these are highly recommended.

My new PCP understands my reluctance but says it is so important. And I just can't do it. Especially the colonoscopy because I would be totally helpless if someone tried something.

I really could use some input/experience here.

Paul

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#258915 - 10/29/08 09:45 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: Tinman]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Paul,

All I can do is empathize with you and say you're not alone. I'm at the same place. Plus I'm having some symptoms right now which could be a sign of problems. Or they could be "body memories" - or could be real issues that are triggering.

"Fortunately" (?) I'm out of town on business until the 10th - so that's given me some rest from having to think about it ... mostly. My doctor is very kewl, not pushing, very understanding - but also concerned.

I wish I had more/better input for you my friend, other than "you're not alone" ... but that's all I've got.

M

#258917 - 10/29/08 09:53 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: MarkK]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Paul,

Last time I had a colonoscopy, I asked them to put me out so that I would not be aware of anything. They complied. Everything went OK.

#258918 - 10/29/08 09:56 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: pufferfish]
Tinman Offline

Allen, thank you for responding, but that is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. Being helpless. Again.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#258920 - 10/29/08 10:05 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: Tinman]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Paul,

My colonoscopy is Friday. They are using a drug called Versed for waking sedation. I am only 28, but feel the same things you are.

The prostate exam really needs to be done. Please don't put that off. It is triggering, but if there's a problem it needs to be found early. I have to have them done because of my trauma.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#258925 - 10/29/08 10:14 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: LN3(SS)]
Tinman Offline

Brian, I consider you a good friend and thank you SO much for encouraging me to do this. Just need to find a way to tell my Doc to let me control what is happening. I need that.

#258926 - 10/29/08 10:16 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: Tinman]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Tinman
Just need to find a way to tell my Doc to let me control what is happening. I need that.

tell him just that

#258928 - 10/29/08 10:20 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: LN3(SS)]
Davesc Offline

Loc: NJ
The first thing you need to do is trust your Doc. I know we have trust issues but He is trying to save your life by making sure you are ok inside. Talk to him or her. The procedure is really easy but you will be asleep. You go to sleep every night. You have to start somewhere. The Doc is a good place to start. You will not feel anything, you will not have any memory of it , and there is no residue sensation after the procedure except some gas. I have had the procedure 4 times. it is physically easy. You will have to get your head around it first! There are good people out there that want to help you. See if you can have a friend or loved one observe the procedure to help make you feel safe. Some places are teaching hosp. and are set up for that. At some point you have to trust someone again. You need to take care of yourself by taking care of your body With the Docs help. May God ease your mind. Dave

#258929 - 10/29/08 10:21 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: Davesc]
Davesc Offline

Loc: NJ
If he does not listen get a new Doc. Dave

#258930 - 10/29/08 10:30 PM Re: Male examinations since I am over 50 [Re: MarkK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've already done the colonoscopy once and the EGD twice, plus a couple of CT scans recently, now that I'm an old timer as far as AARP is concerned. And I've got another EGD scheduled next week! My advice for the colonscopy is for a general anesthesia and the flavored Go-Lytley beats the unflavored stuff by at least 2 to 1. Banana flavor is better and so is cherry.

If you are out cold you won't know anything anyway. Watch-out for passing some gas when you wake-up though!

It is a normal procedure at the age of 50 and 60, and is designed to catch colon cancer early enough to treat it.

TJ Jeffs had a colonoscopy recently too. Maybe he would be willing to talk to you about his.

There is really nothing to be afraid of except that unflavored Go-Lytley. Yucckk. And stay close to the john after you drink it too!

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.